Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What car should we purchase?

What car should we purchase?

Old Jun 2nd 2005, 5:23 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What car should we purchase?

Rent a car you're thinking about purchasing. Could answer a lot of your questions!
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

Tinyburst has a spectacular aura aboutTinyburst has a spectacular aura aboutTinyburst has a spectacular aura about

Once again thank you. I am now more confused than ever.

We are almost certainly going for a saloon. Definitely buying, probably cash unless we can get 0% or v. low% finance. The car we buy will be a keeper 10 years or more.

My wife suggested that we have a look in the car rental lot before we collect our hire car, so that we can see if they have a car we have on our ever growing list. I am thinking that we should hire a car for a month. That will give us time to shop around and wait for our SS no. It will also give us a chance to get a AZ drivers licence. Anyone know how difficult it is to obtain a licence?

Thanks

Tiny
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 7:51 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tinyburst
Anyone know how difficult it is to obtain a licence?

Thanks

Tiny
It depends on the rules for Az. I had to wait for my SSN before I could do the test.

Pop into to your local DMV and ask them about it and while you're there, grab a brochure on the laws. Read that before taking the test.

In Georgia, the actual driving test only took 10 minutes and you could do it blind folded (although not advised ). The written test will just make sure you understand the road signs and the law. That's easy to.
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 8:05 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Once again thank you. I am now more confused than ever.

We are almost certainly going for a saloon. Definitely buying, probably cash unless we can get 0% or v. low% finance. The car we buy will be a keeper 10 years or more.
finance the car, pay most of it down, but do get a small loan...it's the easiest way of getting a credit history after a secured credit card...
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 8:06 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rincewind

Pop into to your local DMV and ask them about it and while you're there, grab a brochure on the laws. Read that before taking the test.
I'd look it up online, most of the people are muppets and wouldn't have a clue...
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 8:11 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone know how difficult it is to obtain a licence?
Read and inwardly digest here: http://www.azdot.gov/mvd/custsvcguide.asp

Unless you've got a German license, you'll have to take all the test -- it's a doodle! Written part you can pass by reading the manual given at the link above as you're waiting (and wait you will!), while the driving part is usually a parallel park and ten minutes round the block. Failure is not possible unless you manage to wipe out more than 6 children, two buildings and at least one other car in your 10 minutes round the block.

You may have problems with your status as I am certain the MVD drones make most of it up as they go along. The best bet is just to walk and find another office with another drone. As you point out, you'll have less problems if you've already got your SSN -- this should be your first task.

As for the insurance, you're between a rock and a hard place. If a broker tells you they're taking your UK driving record into account, s/he's bs-ing you. The simple fact is that you're going to pay more for your insurance until you've picked up a US deriving and credit history. This will take a minimum of a couple of years, I'm afraid. Shop it about. If you're buying a house, you can often get a discount with both policies at the same company (or add on renter's insurance if you're not). Would shop it through at least a couple of the big boys and a couple of the local brokers -- you may find the cheapest option is with a local company nobody's ever heard of until you're a worthy citizen who fits in their allocated boxes. BTW, you need to do your homework on US auto insurance as it's very different from UK.

Last edited by fatbrit; Jun 2nd 2005 at 8:20 pm.
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 8:16 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
finance the car, pay most of it down, but do get a small loan...it's the easiest way of getting a credit history after a secured credit card...

This is something certainly worth considering. You can actually get away with paying very little interest on the whole deal and give your credit score a good boost. The benefit to having a credit score will easily more than pay for the small amount of interest you pay. It's all explained somewhere in here.
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

Tinyburst has a spectacular aura aboutTinyburst has a spectacular aura aboutTinyburst has a spectacular aura about

Bob,

Thank you for the tip, I guess it will be worth paying interest on a small amount so that I can work on my credit score. My bank BoA have already stated that I can have a credit card.

Fatbrit,

Thanks for the link, very useful.
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 8:41 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
parallel park
In Texas they've even dropped the parallel parking requirement.

But isn't parallel parking called something else in England? I can't remember what it is!
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 8:44 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
But isn't parallel parking called something else in England? I can't remember what it is!
In florida is called parking by ear ....
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 8:47 pm
Septicity

Dunno why they ever do it here as you never, ever actually need to parallel park. Be far more sensible to test you driving while talking on a cell phone, eating a donut and drinking a coffee at the same time while constantly switching lanes at 90mph on the freeway.
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 8:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Dunno why they ever do it here as you never, ever actually need to parallel park. Be far more sensible to test you driving while talking on a cell phone, eating a donut and drinking a coffee at the same time while constantly switching lanes at 90mph on the freeway.
Don't forget driving 3" from the car in front.
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

ScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bob
I'd look it up online, most of the people are muppets and wouldn't have a clue...
Talking of muppets, i had to go to get a VIN number check at the DMV today and was lucky enough to see some poor sod who taking his test screw it up so very very badly.
All he had to do was reverse up a slight incline for about 10 meters. He set off, swung off to one side, panicked and instead of hitting the break slammed the accelerator and proceeded to fly backwards through the DMV parking lot. I think he nearly took about 8 bumpers out and side swiped a few signs before he stopped.

I nearly wet myself laughing, mean i know but it was so damn funny!
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 11:06 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

There planning on dropping it in maine too....though it's handy being able to parallel park, can park far more easily doing it
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 11:10 pm
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by Bob
There planning on dropping it in maine too....though it's handy being able to parallel park, can park far more easily doing it
Yep, I can do it in a car, though it is hard to manage in my van.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.