Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What car should we purchase?

What car should we purchase?

Old Jun 2nd 2005, 1:56 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What car should we purchase?

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
I love Mazdas, I say go for a V6 Mazda 6. If you are feeling really sporty go for the Mazdaspeed 6!
There solid cars as well...the rx 8 ain't bad either
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 2:11 am
BE Enthusiast

britchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud of

Definately a Honda Accord, I have one and love it! Plus Hondas have excellent gas mileage and they retain their value. In fact the are renound for this in the car "world!"

A Jeep on the other hand - worse gas mileage. My husband has a Jeep Liberty - a free work car and even with it being free he doesn't like it all that much. A brand new car should not have any problems and has been in and out with various issues all too complex for me to understand! All we think is thank god we aren't paying for this car!

Love love my Honda though......
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 8:57 am
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Suess
Hi,

We just bought a PT Cruiser and love it. It has a surprising amount of space inside for a small car. It's a dream to drive and a bit wacky.

If you have grandkids you might be looking for something bigger. Although sales on SUV's seem to be going down because of the price of gas.

Happy hunting.

Sue

But it looks like a futuristic hearse
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

Tinyburst has a spectacular aura aboutTinyburst has a spectacular aura aboutTinyburst has a spectacular aura about
Smile Re: What car should we purchase?

Thank you for all your help.

I did consider the Prius, but when we test drove the UK version last weekend we didn't think that it was very comfortable. We are funding the car purchase from the sale of our UK car (Mercedes C220 cdi). We are hoping to get about £18,000 for it. I am open to both new and second hand.

We once rented a PT cruiser, my wife loved it. It is certainly another one to consider.

I do have International Autosource saved in my favourites list. Did you get your auto insurance through them?

Rene, Britchicknyc, What spec did you go for? Is the insurance reasonable?

I did consider a European car, but in the consumer guide that I purchased recently they do not rate them very highly.

Fatbrit, Thanks for the links. Most of the hire cars that I have had have been saloons. I must admit that it does feel as though you are driving in the land of the giants :-)
But I can cope, I just want to make sure that the car we choose is comfortable. A 5 hour + road trip could turn into pure misery in the wrong car.

Yes, I agree it would be a good idea to wait until we get across and it would allow us to get our SS number and drivers license sorted out and hopefully get a slightly cheaper insurance. I wanted to get some feedback from you guys who have already experienced what I am going through.

Please keep the advise/comments coming

Thanks

Tiny
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 12:50 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

For a truck ...
http://www.dodge.com/srt-10/

For a car
http://www.chrysler.com/300/300c.html
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 12:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

britchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud of

I have a 2 door coupe in silver. Insurance is less than $500 per 6 months.

You also need to consider if you want to lease or buy. By leasing you can get more car than you could buy. I would strongly suggest buying unless you definately want a brand new car every 3 years are are certain you mileage will be less than 12,000 or 15,000 miles per year.
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 1:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Reasons why a Mazda 6 is great!
2 Good engine choices. (160hp 155 torque or 220hp and 192 torque)
Soon to be available in a turbocharged model. (hp and torque around the high 200s)
Available in a 5 door that looks the same as a 4 door.
Variable valve timing.
Variable induction.
4 or 6 speed automatic or 5 speed manual.
Performance tuned exhaust.
Great suspension, brakes and handling.
Very good safety features and high safety ratings.
Decent mileage.
Very comfortable.
Lots of options to make it your own.
Looks great. Drives great.
Starts at $19500.
http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/disp...ehicleCode=MZ6
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 2:15 pm
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ray

Well Ray we agree on something ! the 300c is just beautiful
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 2:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

The 300 looks like it was driven into a garage door and then reversed into a wall.
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 4:00 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eskimo
Well Ray we agree on something ! the 300c is just beautiful
designed by a Brit too...but it is somewhat clunky looking...
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 4:02 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Tinyburst
I did consider a European car, but in the consumer guide that I purchased recently they do not rate them very highly.
You've got to ask yourself why american cars aren't sold abroad in general....because they ain't that good...
A VW Passat ain't bad money, not sure about the Jetta, but there popular here...and Audi A5/6's aren't bad motors either.
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 4:05 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

If it's just the two of you, then a Mini Cooper. No question
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 4:16 pm
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rincewind
If it's just the two of you, then a Mini Cooper. No question

If it's just the two of you, then a Chrysler Crossfire. No question
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 4:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
The 300 looks like it was driven into a garage door and then reversed into a wall.
It looks like you could actually drive it through the wall and you wouldn't damage it!
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 4:29 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britchicknyc
I have a 2 door coupe in silver. Insurance is less than $500 per 6 months.

You also need to consider if you want to lease or buy. By leasing you can get more car than you could buy. I would strongly suggest buying unless you definately want a brand new car every 3 years are are certain you mileage will be less than 12,000 or 15,000 miles per year.
I have a 4-door sedan in slate blue. I pay $678 per 6 months for insurance, but insurance costs are due to many factors such as age, driving record, what kind of coverage you have, and what features the car has.

I leased my Honda, first vehicle I've leased in my life...probably won't do that again though, as it looks like I'm going to go over my predicted miles driven. I thought my hubby would have his own car by now, and we'd be using his more often. Didn't work out that way. LOL I also strongly suggest buying the vehicle.

Rene

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.