Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What car should I choose?

What car should I choose?

Old Jul 6th 2015, 3:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

loubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond repute
Default What car should I choose?

Subjective I know, but would really appreciate people pointing me in the right direction when it comes to choosing a car.

First of all, thanks to Pulaski for constantly going on about IAS. Hadn't considered using them, even though I was aware of the benefits etc. Plan was for company to sort out husband's car and I'd get a used one after using a rental for a month or 2. A long chat to an IAS rep and it looks like we're going to use them for both cars.

OH is going for an Audi Q7 or a Range Rover, it's my choice that I need help with.

IAS suggested a Ford Escape SE AWD - looks a bit boring to me

Considerations:

To be functional in the Chicago winter
Mainly used for local journeys, supermarket, chores etc
Can be used by my 18 yr old (he has a UK license and will be taking the test in Il)
16 yr old will be driving soon

Probably going down the finance route, up to $35-40k book price

I currently drive a Nissan X-Trail, have done the minivan stuff when the kids were younger, not interested in going back there. Ideal would be a 'run around', but not sure that's practical in the US

Looking forward to your thoughts and suggestions
Old Jul 6th 2015, 4:08 pm
Forum Regular

distantecho is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What car should I choose?

New or used?
Old Jul 6th 2015, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

The youngest is old enough to drive now in the US!

Compact SUVs are very popular now and if I was looking, these are the ones I'd consider...

Honda Pilot (2016 redesign is VERY highly rated!)
Honda CR-V (again, the 2015 is very highly rated)
Ford Edge (2015 redesign isn't bad and has a lot of interesting features for around $40k)

If you want a little more upmarket...

Acura MDX
Audi Q5
BMW X3/5

All are available with AWD.
Old Jul 6th 2015, 4:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

loubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond reputeloubiblu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by distantecho
New or used?
Original plan was used, but advice seems to be that new is better value for money and it's like;y we'll use International Autosource to help with the non-existent US credit issue.
Old Jul 6th 2015, 4:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Guindalf
The youngest is old enough to drive now in the US!

Compact SUVs are very popular now and if I was looking, these are the ones I'd consider...

Honda Pilot (2016 redesign is VERY highly rated!)
Honda CR-V (again, the 2015 is very highly rated)
Ford Edge (2015 redesign isn't bad and has a lot of interesting features for around $40k)

If you want a little more upmarket...

Acura MDX
Audi Q5
BMW X3/5

All are available with AWD.
Not really bothered about a 'status' badge that comes with an Audi or BMW. Oldest child currently drives a 1.1 Susuki Swift. Scary that both teens will potentially be driving such big and powerful cars. I couldn't get the 18 yr old insured on my X-Trail which is one of the reasons we bought him the Swift. I like Hondas, I had a Prelude coupe until child 2 meant we couldn't fit a baby seat in. Will look at the Pilot. Is the Edge very different to the Escape?
Old Jul 6th 2015, 5:23 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by loubiblu
...... Is the Edge very different to the Escape?
The Escape is built on a Focus floor pan, the Edge is built on a Fusion floor pan (FWIW the Explorer is built on a Taurus floor pan). So the difference is size, and for what you want I would say the Escape is what you're looking for.
Old Jul 6th 2015, 5:55 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

What's the fascination with SUVs here anyway?

I love my Ford Fusion
Old Jul 6th 2015, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

off_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond repute

I have a fleet car here! Yes, there are a few....

Its a 1.6T Escape and its OK. Ok, I live in CA so 4wd isn't on the cards, but its pretty decent to drive, roomy and comes with a few basic toys (only the SE model). Oh, and Bay Area driving it is still getting 24MPG, which isn't bad! I like it, but its built to a price though - this was a $25k list car (before discounts) and it feels like it. I got mine with 20k on the clock and it rattles quite a lot already. Handles well though (Ford of Europe design and engineering) and is pleasant. The 2.0T is supposed to be better.

Worryingly, we didnt aim for this, but my wife has an Edge SE. This is the 3.5 v6 and its a 2009 version - so older and pre-upgrade and definitely NOT the 2015 model. But is surprisingly quiet on longer journeys, smooth, actually pretty economical when you do get it out on the freeway (but crap around town) and has plenty of interior space for the family to get around. We got the SE model, so it is lacking in features and tech....

Overall though, pretty impressed by Ford. My boss has the new Fusion and loves it!

I would steer clear of Audi's and BMW's though - not for any specific reason other than cost. They are quite a lot more expensive here (well CA) and I am not seeing the advantage. For example, a BMW X3 (remember the current model is the same size of the original X5) starts at $38k for the 2.0T model with no extras. A Ford Edge (2015 model, a little smaller than an X3 maybe) ends at $38k for the 2.7V6T Sport model, which is actually very quick! The same goes for comparative Audi and Merc too - just so much more expensive and US brands cheaper and faster to offer deals....

As mentioned though, Honda's rate highly and so does Lexus (they built the brand in the US from nowhere!). Oh, and LR and RR have a pretty bad reputation in the US. There is a great running article here:

My Parking Sensors Failed: Another CarMax Warranty Update

Guy pays $3,899 for an extended warranty on a Range Rover, has $6,488 worth of work carried out. And there are still 2 years to do.... ;-)
Old Jul 6th 2015, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

distantecho is an unknown quantity at this point

New Land Rover Discovery Sport almost squeezes into your budget and it's awesome and British. New Jag XE is coming and will start under $40k...
Old Jul 6th 2015, 9:06 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not a big car person, as long as it gets me from A to B I'm happy and tend to go solely on looks - I have had a VW Bug and now a Hyundai Veloster since we have been here.

Hubby however bought a Ford Edge when we moved here in 2008 and absolutely loves it - this is the longest he has held on to a car by year's - it has about 125!000 miles on it and (please don't jinx it) is still going strong and has had very little done to it other than regular maintenance. When I ask if he fancies a change he says there's nothing out there than takes his fancy without obviously upping the budget by another $20K.
Old Jul 6th 2015, 10:11 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Suburu? They're pretty solid in the snow.

4x4 ain't really all that important, doesn't help with braking or steering, but handy if you live on a hill or need to get out of a ditch.

Don't know about the new round of cars, but a lot of the older SUV's need sand bags in the boot to help with traction.
Old Jul 7th 2015, 6:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bob
Suburu? They're pretty solid in the snow.
Good call. I wanted a Forester a few years ago, but couldn't find a used one and new wasn't a consideration. Went for the X-Trail, our second one. It's a 2006 with over 200k on the clock and still going strong. What's the equivalent to the Forester (or Outback) in the US?

Right, have used that new-fangled Google everyone is talking about and found out for myself that Forester and Outback are models in the States too!

Last edited by loubiblu; Jul 7th 2015 at 6:48 am. Reason: Actually doing my own research!!
Old Jul 7th 2015, 10:41 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by loubiblu
Good call. I wanted a Forester a few years ago, but couldn't find a used one and new wasn't a consideration. Went for the X-Trail, our second one. It's a 2006 with over 200k on the clock and still going strong. What's the equivalent to the Forester (or Outback) in the US?

Right, have used that new-fangled Google everyone is talking about and found out for myself that Forester and Outback are models in the States too!
I don't think IA will hook you up with a Subaru.
Old Jul 8th 2015, 2:58 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

I know 4 friends with Audi's here (a Q7, a TT, an RS5 convertible and a A3 sportback). Common themes from all of them are cost of servicing, niggly mechanical problems and very fast tire wear. And lousy service from the local dealership. I used to like Audi, but the constant drip of negative feedback here would make me think again....
Old Jul 8th 2015, 3:02 pm
Forum Regular

LonelyCloud has a spectacular aura aboutLonelyCloud has a spectacular aura aboutLonelyCloud has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I don't think IA will hook you up with a Subaru.
Pulaski is quite right, Subaru is not on their list. (Had been looking for myself)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.