Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What brought you to the USA?

Wikiposts

What brought you to the USA?

Old Feb 11th 2006, 1:10 am
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute
Default What brought you to the USA?

What was the original reason that you moved to the USA or Canada? Not necessarily what keeps you here (there), but what made you come here in the first place. So many of us seem to say that we would go home in a heartbeat, so what was the event or reason that made you take the plunge and move? For me it was meeting my American husband 16 years ago in Britain and moving with him. If it had not been for that chance meeting my life would be so incredibly different right now and I would probably still be living in Britain.
Old Feb 11th 2006, 1:14 am
Paul

smeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud of
Default Re: What brought you to the USA?

Work three years ago

I had just happened to make friends with several people in Boston, and had been out for two vacations to stay with them ... my company also happened to have an office here, so I applied for a transfer. Moved over on an L1-B visa.

3 years later, I'm married to one of those friends, and don't want to move back!
Old Feb 11th 2006, 1:33 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Opportunity. We got offered work based GC's (wife is a nurse) so thought what the hell.

I think we are in better situation being both Brits than mixed US/UK couples as we could just go back to Europe without any hassle if we wanted to. But for now we are here for the duration. Probably at least until the kids have left home in 8 years or so. By then who knows? Probably will have done the dual citizen thing.
Old Feb 11th 2006, 1:39 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

A plane....
Old Feb 11th 2006, 1:52 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

met a hot southern girl
Old Feb 11th 2006, 1:59 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
A plane....
Is that an airplane or an aeroplane though?
Old Feb 11th 2006, 2:04 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Is that an airplane or an aeroplane though?
Yes.
Old Feb 11th 2006, 2:04 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

sadly had to come to collect the pay checks
Old Feb 11th 2006, 2:15 am
Forum Regular

Arizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blaze
What was the original reason that you moved to the USA or Canada? Not necessarily what keeps you here (there), but what made you come here in the first place. So many of us seem to say that we would go home in a heartbeat, so what was the event or reason that made you take the plunge and move? For me it was meeting my American husband 16 years ago in Britain and moving with him. If it had not been for that chance meeting my life would be so incredibly different right now and I would probably still be living in Britain.
When the British Government changed to decimal currency and put the VAT on everything is when we decided to move to USA.Had an offer from a company in Hampton Virginia and moved to Newport News in 1972.We are all British with four girls and three boys.We now live in Arizona and have never regretted moving to USA.We could not have what we have got here in England.We travel wherever we wish and have visited 38 states and 22 countries.Do we miss England? NO and we would NEVER move back.
Old Feb 11th 2006, 2:23 am
BE Enthusiast

geordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to behold

Like AWP we came as i'm a nurse and we all got GC's thought it would be a good life experience for us all particularly the kids. Are we here forever, can't imagine so but who knows.
Old Feb 11th 2006, 2:27 am
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

I worked for an American owned company in the UK and offered to spend my last 12 months here passing on my working experience. Met my future wife although I was not looking, and am here to stay. I prefer it here to the UK. The UK is like grandchildren, love to visit but always happy to be in our own home.
Old Feb 11th 2006, 2:29 am
Mummy and baby 1982

Maggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond repute

Met and married my husband 4 years ago who is UK/US citizen and he's been here in the US around 19 years. We have 5 kids between us, 4 live with us and my 24 year old daughter lives in the UK waiting the long wait for a visa. Don't know what we'll do when the kids have all left home. Maybe go home to UK, maybe move into Chicago or maybe retire somewhere warm, but who knows by that time, our youngest is 12 so we've got quite a while yet!

Maggie

Originally Posted by blaze
Old Feb 11th 2006, 2:35 am
Position - Offside

Location: Harvest, Alabama from Newport Pagnell, Bucks/Mitcham, Surrey
Lynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond repute

My husband was head hunted by a company here who could not find anyone experienced enough in their field of engineering. The offer was too good to turn down.
Old Feb 11th 2006, 2:43 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

I had an overwhelming urge to feel superior for large portions of the day and a longing to mock a culture so self involved they no nothing of the world outside their borders.

Oh, and I met an American bird stupid enough to marry me!
Old Feb 11th 2006, 2:43 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Opportunity. We got offered work based GC's (wife is a nurse) so thought what the hell.

I think we are in better situation being both Brits than mixed US/UK couples as we could just go back to Europe without any hassle if we wanted to. But for now we are here for the duration. Probably at least until the kids have left home in 8 years or so. By then who knows? Probably will have done the dual citizen thing.

And where will your kids go when they leave home?

This is a big worry for me. We moved here (for DH's work) when our sons were already teenagers. One definitely wants to go back, one doesn't have a clue what he wants to do, but I could imagine that # 3 might stay.

Since at least two, possibly all of them, will go to uni here, there is always a chance that all of them will get stuck here - either because of work or if they were to marry a local...

DH and I definitely want to move back to London when he retires. (BTW, I know I grumble a lot about life here, but that's more because I miss London and all it has to offer, not so much because I dislike my life here in California...)

But I definitely could not imagine living here for the rest of my life. One day I shall want to go home!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.