British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   What Brand Do You Use? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/what-brand-do-you-use-360628/)

Yorkieabroad Mar 12th 2006 1:37 am

Re: What Brand Do You Use?

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Wtf is wrong with harp ???

To be honest, I haven't drunk it since I was about 17...and that was quite a few years ago, but it was cr@p then.....

I made the mistake of assuming when he said he liked English "beer", he meant "bitter", which would have made him only the 3rd American I've ever met that admitted to it!

BigDavyG Mar 12th 2006 1:40 am

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass
I thought exactly the same, why am I posting about toilet rolls? Saturdays nights definitely have changed for me

Still - hustle starts in 20 minutes on AMC - watch that then go to bed i think.
Oh the life i lead :rolleyes:

BigDavyG Mar 12th 2006 1:43 am

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
To be honest, I haven't drunk it since I was about 17...and that was quite a few years ago, but it was cr@p then.....

I made the mistake of assuming when he said he liked English "beer", he meant "bitter", which would have made him only the 3rd American I've ever met that admitted to it!

Ah - a bitter drinker, that explains it :)

Jaxbar Mar 12th 2006 1:44 am

Well thank you for saving me I was so bored I was gonna watch Monster in Law forgot about Hustel :)

mandpete Mar 12th 2006 1:44 am

After trying every toilet roll over here, we decided that White Cloud was the best. I can only get it at Walmart so I go at 8.00am when the store is empty and bulk buy.

I use Pinesol floor cleaner and have to put up with dettol smell for a couple of hours. The smell of dettol always reminds me of cleaning up sick.

Not found a decent washing powder/liquid yet. Whenever anyone comes over from England they have to bring me as many boxes of Fairy tablets as they can fit in their luggage. I use All if I have no Fairy because it seems to be the only one that doesn't bring one of us out in a rash. It doesn't get the clothes really clean though.

Lysol toilet cleaner is about the best and I've tried a few.

BigDavyG Mar 12th 2006 1:49 am

Well thank you for saving me I was so bored I was gonna watch Monster in Law forgot about Hustel :)

Just watched Crash there.
Has anyone else seen it ??
Not bad - a bit contrived and clunky in parts, but not bad though hardly up to oscar standard imo.
Makes interesting viewing for someone who just moved to the country 8 months ago - seems like its not just me and a few other wierdos on here afterall.

TouristTrap Mar 12th 2006 1:51 am

Floor Cleaners, I got some pine stuff and the house still smells like a hospital ward trying to cover up incontinence

There is a lavender product called 'Fabuloso' that is the absolute best out there. Throw a capful or so in your bucket, and mop up. Your floor smells divine. It can even be found on Publix shelves.

http://us.st11.yimg.com/store1.yimg....r_1888_2639273

I also have a Swiffer WetJet, which I use in the kitchen. Not for heavy cleaning, but absolutely brilliant. http://img.epinions.com/images/opti/...resized200.jpg

Toilet cleaners, do they have something like toilet duck?

Lysol makes these brush unit things that you can replace, and uses a foam to clean up. It is really good.

http://www.lysolreadybrush.com/

Something like salad cream thats not ranch?

[COLOR=Red]No luck I'm afraid. Still haven't found anything like it here.

And anything that you have found that you like enough to mention :)

For your bathroom sinks and tiles - http://www.lysol.com/images/grouping...omcleaners.jpg

Lysol Tub-n-Tile but not the squirt bottle. The foam one in the round can is what you should get, the other one is useless. The foam is fantastic. Spray it around, let it sit for a few mins, then wipe off with a paper towel. It cleans like a breeze.

For laundry, can't beat Gain or Tide, but use powder preferably, as the liquids don't work as well. Unfortunately, if you don't have a front-loader with extra heating element in there, you'll have to add bleach to all your whites, or Clorox Bleach for colors to the others. I've found over the years, that adding some Borax (20 Mule Team is the brand name) or Oxyclean to the wash, helps with cleaning. If you have stubborn stains, use Shout or leave in Oxyclean overnight.

Dishwasher - Cascade powder or liquid or tablets is great (remember you don't add salt heehee) and some Jetdry once a month keeps everything running smoothly.

Hand dishwashing. Most are okay. I've been using that Dawn Foam one and it is great. Ajax, whatever.

Barkeepers friend/Ajax powder = VIM.

Soft Scrub with BLEACH not lemon or 409 or Tilex are great kitchen cleaners.

You should always work with open windows and use gloves when cleaning as the chemicals are so blooming toxic.

If you can, rather buy 'green' (organic cleaners probably available in your health store)

TouristTrap Mar 12th 2006 1:53 am

Nursing a touch of bronchitis and posting on toilet cleaners and toilet paper.
Exciting innit? :D

Jaxbar Mar 12th 2006 1:56 am

Just watched Crash there.
Has anyone else seen it ??
Not bad - a bit contrived and clunky in parts, but not bad though hardly up to oscar standard imo.
Makes interesting viewing for someone who just moved to the country 8 months ago - seems like its not just me and a few other wierdos on here afterall.

I saw it in Uk before I came here think it shows an interesting view from different perspectives think all the stars gave it the oscar worthiness maybe

Jaxbar Mar 12th 2006 1:57 am

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
Nursing a touch of bronchitis and posting on toilet cleaners and toilet paper.
Exciting innit? :D

Well youve given me plenty to think about :) life may be dull but it wont be dirty ... not sure if thats a good thing ;)

TouristTrap Mar 12th 2006 2:00 am

Well youve given me plenty to think about :) life may be dull but it wont be dirty ... not sure if thats a good thing ;)

Nah, my 'standard' post to this question. In South Africa we had 3 cleaners.

1. Vim
2. Handy Andy
3. Dettol.

When I arrived here and walked into the store the first time, I thought I was going to die. Didn't have a CLUE as to what to buy.

Made for interesting shopping trips :D

britvic Mar 12th 2006 2:09 am

Originally Posted by Ben
You can get No.7 products at Target so you may find the make-up remover you are after there.

The nearest thing I have found to salad cream here is Miracle Whip. It is slightly tangy compared to mayonnaise but not as tangy as salad cream. I've never done it but you could try adding white vinegar and see if that makes it more like salad cream.

As already mentioned - clorox products are good for the bathroom and kitchen but just be careful because they are strong on bleach and ruin your clothes quickly if you splash any of it on you.

Brtivic - I've found that ALL is really good if you rub it in to any stains. I don't you bleach half as often as I would normally have to.

Not all Targets sell No.7 products, I was so excited when I heard they would, only to find out not in our Area. I do use Spray n wash stain stick on his collars & cuffs, I will say thats not bad :)

NC Penguin Mar 12th 2006 3:48 am

The bog roll for me is Charmin' (the one with bears).

For facial tissue, I prefer Puffs over Kleenex. My rats like (eating) Puffs tissues :rolleyes:

Soft Scrub with Lemon is good for kitchen surfaces. It works but I have to rinse twice to remove residue off the surface.

I buy Cascade liquid for the dishwasher. I also buy Costco's version of Cascade (it's in a green bottle too). I never use that stuff that makes your dishwasher load all squeeky clean.

NC Penguin

Bob Mar 12th 2006 5:17 am

Charmin' bog roll...

Clorox or anything with bleach/ammonia...nasty cleaning stuff...cheap git so wouldn't listen to me...as for bog, there is a shite thing with a neck, nothing like that duck stuff though...best bet are those bog tablets, but if your septic tanker, they ain't so great for them.

make up, your on your own...those that garnia? stuff in the little green bottles, $7 a shot so I should f'ing remember the name :D

use miracle whip, low fat for salad cream with a splash of lime juice...

So I've done it again come home and brought back ONE PLY toilet paper by accident :eek: . I was trying to find something that wasnt thick and patterned just plain old soft toilet paper. So any recommendations on that and..

Floor Cleaners, I got some pine stuff and the house still smells like a hospital ward trying to cover up incontinence

Toilet cleaners, do they have something like toilet duck?

Facial wipes (that take off your makeup) that are similar to No7. I will be able to tell I have a life again when I go out enough to run out!

Something like salad cream thats not ranch?

And anything that you have found that you like enough to mention :)

Bob Mar 12th 2006 5:18 am

third series just started yesterday, got it off nova..still ain't seen it though...