Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What Americanism's/habits have you picked up?

What Americanism's/habits have you picked up?

Old Nov 10th 2005, 4:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What Americanism's/habits have you picked up?

Originally Posted by TN-Dave
You have to admit (very candidly), that in the summer time, it is so nice just to chuck everything away in the bin when you clear the table or have finished eatin, rather than having to load the 'standard' dishwasher ! ..... It makes the kids less likey to mope about when told to clear off the table after dinner too.
It's not that hard to load a dish washer is it
Old Nov 10th 2005, 4:11 pm
Captain Caaaaaaveeemaaaan

TN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really nice

Originally Posted by britvic
It's not that hard to load a dish washer is it
Nope - but I'm trying to get 'Merikanised, so it's even easier (and lazier) to throw all the plates away instead. LOL
Old Nov 10th 2005, 4:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Nope - but I'm trying to get 'Merikanised, so it's even easier (and lazier) to throw all the plates away instead. LOL
Well me and mine are not going down that road
Old Nov 10th 2005, 4:33 pm
cute as a button

Poppy33usa has a brilliant futurePoppy33usa has a brilliant futurePoppy33usa has a brilliant futurePoppy33usa has a brilliant futurePoppy33usa has a brilliant futurePoppy33usa has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Yeah, disposable plates - what the h*ll is that all about.
I just pretend that I'm having a picnic in the front room when the other half wheels those out.
yep I was introduced to using paper plates on a regular basis by my husband...have to say though, I like not having to wash plates anymore ..and we do pull out the proper dishes for special occasions
Old Nov 10th 2005, 4:36 pm

mdyoung is an unknown quantity at this point

Disposable plates why do they even bother when it appears the norm for most to have Dish Washers
Even renting apartments there always seems to be a dish washer but no Washing Machine, whats more important I ask you.
I guess as one of the few Americans that doesn't have dishwasher, I would say using paper plates is a combination of convenience and laziness. Normally, for family dinner we use the regular stuff, but if in a hurry, getting a midnight snack or cooking on the grill we always use paper plates. When I lived by myself I always used them.
Old Nov 10th 2005, 4:36 pm
strangely floppy..

CarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
I have noticed lately that like a lot of Americans I have become obsessed with the weather and the price of gas (which went down another couple of cents today by the way ).

What have you 'picked' up?

Ash
I pleased to say that havent picked up a single Americansim. You Mother f***r.
Old Nov 10th 2005, 4:49 pm

TN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really nice

Originally Posted by CarlM
I pleased to say that havent picked up a single Americansim. You Mother f***r.

:scared:

'nuf said.
Old Nov 10th 2005, 4:50 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

Well me and mine are not going down that road
I'm with you on that one. Isn't the dishwasher lazy enough?
Old Nov 10th 2005, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by Chorlton
I'm with you on that one. Isn't the dishwasher lazy enough?
LOL - I do remember when we were young and my folks used to say that they had a dishwasher - it was called their kids !!

But I've figured that being American is all about finding the way to do things that exerts the least amount of energy possible.
Old Nov 10th 2005, 4:52 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Dishwasher???? Isn't that a wife?
Old Nov 10th 2005, 5:04 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

LOL - I do remember when we were young and my folks used to say that they had a dishwasher - it was called their kids !!

But I've figured that being American is all about finding the way to do things that exerts the least amount of energy possible.

Saving energy by wasting energy to make disposable products, using natural resources and creating huge landfills We (the western world) should be setting an example.
Old Nov 10th 2005, 5:11 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone got accustomed to the whole chips/french fries/crisps thing, or the jelly/jam/jello minefield for that matter.

The second one particularly annoys me as the have completely changed the meaning of the word jelly to describe something for which a word already exists - JAM. I mean surely they are taking the p*ss with this one
Old Nov 10th 2005, 5:14 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yorkshire_lass
It's even worse here cos they also take your shopping out to the car and I find this excruciating! Do I make conversation? Do I stay quiet? Do I help them put it in the BOOT? Or stand and watch? I usually end up babbling away about the weather and give too much in the tip to try and make up for feeling like a lazy bugger not carrying my own bags!

We're supposed to tip them??

Holy crap, it never even occured to me to tip em when they've run off out through the door with my shopping before I could say no thanks.
Old Nov 10th 2005, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
We're supposed to tip them?? .

Oops - Guess that one went straight past me too !!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Nov 10th 2005, 5:20 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
I have noticed lately that like a lot of Americans I have become obsessed with the weather and the price of gas (which went down another couple of cents today by the way ).

What have you 'picked' up?

Ash
The weather ...which I really thought was a Brit thing......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.