Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What Americanism's/habits have you picked up?

Old Nov 8th 2005, 6:19 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice
Default Re: What Americanism's/habits have you picked up?

Originally Posted by Schnorbitz
I say "Hey" and not "Hi".
i've given up saying "Hi ya" as I always get the response.."I'm ok and you?"

"No I said "Hi ya" not "How are ya"!!! FFS
Old Nov 8th 2005, 6:58 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
I use the word "guys" way too much and I cringe every time I hear myself say it.
Just move down south and you'll be saying "Y'ALL"...or getting real strange looks for the 'you guys' line.

Y'all does sound and fell better off the tongue I must say.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 8:17 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
I use the word "guys" way too much and I cringe every time I hear myself say it.
yeah I say guys and ass ....
I never thought I'd say either!!!

and I can't drink orange jucie without tons of ice...actually any kind of juice etc..I didn't even realise it was an american thing till I went home.........
Old Nov 8th 2005, 8:18 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ironporer
Just move down south and you'll be saying "Y'ALL"...or getting real strange looks for the 'you guys' line.

Y'all does sound and fell better off the tongue I must say.
I'll type y'all but it'll be a cold day in Hell before I EVER say it
Old Nov 8th 2005, 8:20 pm
Back Again

Originally Posted by rushman
i've given up saying "Hi ya" as I always get the response.."I'm ok and you?"

"No I said "Hi ya" not "How are ya"!!! FFS
cor "hi ya" we always said that as kids...sounds silly now...we always had this one guy on the street that would say "lower" in response.....
Old Nov 9th 2005, 1:34 am
Forum Regular

Roadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to behold

Being fleeced by Starbucks on the way to work. Then feeling better because the Subway is soooo much cheaper and better...
Old Nov 9th 2005, 1:45 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Most of the American things I say are as a joke to make myself laugh inside my head...& I do. It keeps me sane!!! For example, I say - Hey, you guys! Which is a line from The Goonies!!! However, I do say Dude a lot, because it's my son's nickname & that's actually what most people call him. He's 16 months old & actually responds to it!!!
Old Nov 9th 2005, 1:49 am
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

A wife.
Old Nov 9th 2005, 3:13 am
Just Joined

isuckspam is an unknown quantity at this point

Gas, soda, awesome.

Awesome with an east london accent sounds plain ridiculous, really need to stop.
Old Nov 9th 2005, 6:17 am
cute as a button

Poppy33usa has a brilliant futurePoppy33usa has a brilliant futurePoppy33usa has a brilliant futurePoppy33usa has a brilliant futurePoppy33usa has a brilliant futurePoppy33usa has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Aren't obessions with the weather and petrol prices a Brit thing?

Anyway I drive with one hand out the window and the other on the horn now while using my cell phone and shavng in the rearview mirror. I also had my blinkers (indicators) removed as they were excess useless weight that only served to slow me down as I cut through red lights and lanes full of other motorists that were annoyingly and inconveniently on MY roads.
Old Nov 9th 2005, 6:40 am
Forum Regular

yorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to beholdyorkshire_lass is a splendid one to behold

When getting the kids to tidy their things I have started saying 'put your things up' instead of 'away'. Haven't caught myself saying many others. Hate saying 'where is your trash can?' instead of bin, but have to or get blank looks. Never forgot hearing about the guy who asked 'where is your toilet?' and was told 'In the bathroom of course' accompanied by a disgusted look, so have made myself get used to saying 'bathroom' for a room that has no bath.......... but a boot is still a boot not a trunk to me, petrol is still petrol and a garden is still a garden however small!!
Old Nov 9th 2005, 6:40 am
cute as a button

Poppy33usa has a brilliant futurePoppy33usa has a brilliant futurePoppy33usa has a brilliant futurePoppy33usa has a brilliant futurePoppy33usa has a brilliant futurePoppy33usa has a brilliant future

1) an unnatural obsession with the condition of my lawn..
2) lose the use of my legs when distances are greater than 1/2 mile..must take car EVERYWHERE!!!!
3) I make apple pancakes with maple syrup on a regular basis
4) developing an addiction to McDonalds
5) developing an addiction to Dairy Queen
6) generally developing an addiction to any fast food place near our house
7) accustomed to food portions as large as the table they are served on
Old Nov 9th 2005, 12:25 pm
Captain Caaaaaaveeemaaaan

TN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
I have noticed lately that like a lot of Americans I have become obsessed with the weather and the price of gas (which went down another couple of cents today by the way ).

What have you 'picked' up?

Ash
I've picked up a number of slang words - some of which I have no choice, as if you ask for the nearest 'Petrol Garage', people look at you like you just spoke martian - if you re-phrase it to 'Gas Station', they smile and point you in the right direction.......

I've not started on the Frappucino's yet - and I still drink tea, but I tend to be drinking more coffee these days. The other main thing is breakfast, but you can't blame me for not being able to get any kind of decent quality bacon, sausages, and black pudding in this country.

The other Americanism I have picked up is driving on the right hand side of the road - maybe we should all quit doing that and see how things go ??????

Last edited by TN-Dave; Nov 9th 2005 at 1:28 pm. Reason: Because I cannot spell at times
Old Nov 9th 2005, 1:12 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

I've picked up the habit of saying 'good job!' to the kids whenever they do well at something...aaarrrggghh!
Old Nov 9th 2005, 1:40 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Saying...

1. Prawcess, instead of process
2. Date-a, instead of data
3. Trash, instead of bin
4. To-mate-o, instead of tomato - people have no idea what I'm saying when i say tomato - really gets on my t*ts
5. Movies, instead of film or cinema
6. Three forty five instead of a quarter to 4. Really hate that one

I really need to get this reversed when I go home at christmas or else I'll get the p*ss ripped right out of me

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.