Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What Americanism's/habits have you picked up?

What Americanism's/habits have you picked up?

Old Nov 11th 2005, 1:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

BrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What Americanism's/habits have you picked up?

I managed to make a right pratt of myself over the dishwasher salt when we firs moved here. The dishwasher left grit all over the plates, didn't matter what setting it was on, there was still grit. SO the third time the plumber came out, I thought to ask where abouts you put the salt, and maybe it already needed refilling, hence the grit, he thought I was a right raving loony, didn't have a clue what I was going on about, told me that salt is used for food or snow, not dishwashers and left me with my grit.

As for recycling plastic bags... they make for very good pooh bags ( for dogs of course)

Americanisms? Have picked up a few over time, it does make life easier, still can't say gar-arge though, it's still a plain old garriiige...and folks around here, still don't know what I'm talking about when I say it... but that's ok

I teach speech and language in a school district here, and other therapists say that the kids I deal with are picking up Britishisms, and accent, so if I keep working on them, we might have them saying gariige to
Old Nov 11th 2005, 1:36 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BrandonBrit
I teach speech and language in a school district here, and other therapists say that the kids I deal with are picking up Britishisms, and accent, so if I keep working on them, we might have them saying gariige to
I think its cool that you are teaching them how to speak proper English
Old Nov 11th 2005, 1:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

basementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
I must say that I'm a particular fan of the word w*nker. A lot of people over here are clearly not familiar with it which means that you can say it repeatedly to their face and they are none the wiser. It worked a treat at the DMV yesterday when I repeatedly called the manager a w*nker. I moved instantly to laughing at myself from a situation where I was periously close to dragging him over the counter and battering him.

I know that people have expressed their dislike of "fake" swear words but i have to confess that i'm a great fan of the words f.e.c.k, pish and shi'ite.
Hey, i saw an episode of the simpsons a few weeks ago and homer says W*nker! i nearly fell over....
Old Nov 11th 2005, 1:46 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BrandonBrit
As for recycling plastic bags... they make for very good pooh bags ( for dogs of course)
Hello dear!

Yep, we use them for that too, but our dog only goes in the back garden (or should I say yard!), so we (or should I say hubby!) do mass collections, which doesn't use too many plastic bags!!! Sorry TMI!

Hope to see you soon!
Liz
Old Nov 11th 2005, 5:11 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chorlton
Maybe saving water, but using electricity. I'm not sure which is worse
better to save electricity than water as using electricity causes x6 more damage environmentally than purifying the water..
Old Nov 12th 2005, 3:10 am
Just Joined

apkel is an unknown quantity at this point

Im American married to an Englishman and have just moved back to Michigan from Hampshire and I laughed so hard reading this thread.
Old Nov 13th 2005, 7:31 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
I'm always amazed at the amount of rubbish my neighbours manage to throw out in just 1 week. They all have at least 2 large wheely bins over flowing, plus extra bags on the drive. Where the f*** does it all come from?
Pizza boxes, chinese take out and tv dinners maybe?

I have 2 bins twice a week, and won't have junk food in th e house (well, I prefer to make my own 'organic' pizza), and yes, we do eat off proper plates and use genoo-ine silverware at every meal.
Old Nov 13th 2005, 5:25 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
I must say that I'm a particular fan of the word w*nker. A lot of people over here are clearly not familiar with it which means that you can say it repeatedly to their face and they are none the wiser. It worked a treat at the DMV yesterday when I repeatedly called the manager a w*nker. I moved instantly to laughing at myself from a situation where I was periously close to dragging him over the counter and battering him.

I know that people have expressed their dislike of "fake" swear words but i have to confess that i'm a great fan of the words f.e.c.k, pish and shi'ite.
Bollocks
Old Nov 13th 2005, 5:32 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

All you need to know about dishwashers and salt. http://www.dishwasher-care.org.uk/best.html

Apparently they don't use it here because of pollution regulations. That's the reason why the washing powder is so crappy here, no phosphates.
Old Nov 13th 2005, 10:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
Bollocks
Economy of words but expresses all ones feelings.
Old Nov 13th 2005, 11:11 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

Originally Posted by tony126
Economy of words but expresses all ones feelings.
And of course most USC's are clueless as to it's meaning!
Old Nov 14th 2005, 9:47 am
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

I have resisted the "soccer" syndrome sticking to calling the roundball game football. But have found myself mentioning the "Fall season" instead of Autumn.

I love the Memsahib's Indianan drawl, and I now know that all the missing "H's" on the front of herb are saved up to appear in Vehicle, or Vehhhhhhhhhhhicle as her nibs pronounces it.

Also I do like her version of Whuuuuuuuuuuuuun ( 1 ) still I always pronounce Havant as 'Avant so I suppose I have no right to wind her up too much
Old Nov 14th 2005, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

Beer:30 is a jewel in the roughBeer:30 is a jewel in the roughBeer:30 is a jewel in the roughBeer:30 is a jewel in the roughBeer:30 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by mandpete
My 8yr old daughter had a point deducted on her math quiz because she wrote three hundred 'and' fifty six instead of three hundred fifty six when asked to write 356 in words.

I wrote a small note to the teacher explaining that she had written it as I and any other english person would write it.

"three hundred and fifty six" = 300.56

If it was 356.25 would you say "three hundered and fifty six and one quarter"?
Old Nov 14th 2005, 2:34 pm
Captain Caaaaaaveeemaaaan

TN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really nice

Originally Posted by doctor scrumpy
I have resisted the "soccer" syndrome sticking to calling the roundball game football.
This is a bone of contention in our household........ the local leagues for the kids call it soccer, yet I still call it 'football' and I'm the team coach !!!!!!!
Old Nov 14th 2005, 3:09 pm
Just Joined

MrsBeer:30 is a jewel in the roughMrsBeer:30 is a jewel in the roughMrsBeer:30 is a jewel in the roughMrsBeer:30 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Beer:30
"three hundred and fifty six" = 300.56

If it was 356.25 would you say "three hundered and fifty six and one quarter"?
Dear Hubby - I really will have to teach you to say your numbers properly! For most on this thread it would be "three hundred and fifty six and a quarter".

In his defence though - he does say "sort it out" among other Britishisms, likes real English beer AND loves the fact that the norm in the UK is driving a manual car!

Last edited by MrsBeer:30; Nov 14th 2005 at 3:11 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.