Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What is it about Florida?!?

Wikiposts

What is it about Florida?!?

Old Sep 4th 2008, 9:42 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is it about Florida?!?

Originally Posted by Bill_S
LOL... thanks for asking, I've been wondering about this for years. Florida's about the last place in the US I'd want to live, yet so many Brits are hell-bent to move there. I don't get it either.
I love my little corner .....
Old Sep 4th 2008, 10:46 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
I don't recall reading a thread about this in the past, but I have to ask this.

What is it about Florida that attracts everyone outside the US like moths to a flame? I think if you ask a typical American, they'd be like "Florida, not bad to visit, wouldn't want to live there." Yet, every other post on here, people want to move there. I just really, really don't get the attraction.

Heat, humidity, lizards, alligators, hurricanes...Yet it seems every Brit wants to live there! What is up with that?
You and me both!

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=450380
Old Sep 4th 2008, 1:01 pm
The Wee Wifey

LynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud ofLynannC has much to be proud of

As a Brit who is about to move to Florida in just a few days, I'd say the attraction for me is that my husband lives there. He lives there because he's a rocket scientist.

All year sunshine after less than 8 hours of daylight in winter might be one reason. (Mid winter here in Scotland is about 6-7 hours actual daylight.) And 11 months of grey skies also makes the all year sunshine of Florida a plus.

It's also relatively easy to fly between Florida and most parts of the UK with low cost airlines etc.

Perhaps there's also a little of "the grass is always greener" involved.

If I wasn't moving to be with my hubby, and we could live anywhere, personally I'd rather go to New Zealand than any part of the US. I'd never of thought of living in the US until I met my wonderful husband.

Lyn
Old Sep 4th 2008, 1:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

What is it about Florida that attracts everyone outside the US like moths to a flame? I think if you ask a typical American, they'd be like "Florida, not bad to visit, wouldn't want to live there." Yet, every other post on here, people want to move there. I just really, really don't get the attraction.

Heat, humidity, lizards, alligators, hurricanes...Yet it seems every Brit wants to live there! What is up with that?
Went there once, wouldn't fancy it again. Urgh....heat, humidity, lizards, alligators, Ray, hurricanes....
Old Sep 4th 2008, 1:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
I love my little corner .....
That's the best avatar you've had in ages.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 1:56 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Lovely place to visit and unless you can afford a home in one of the upscale communities, i.e. Naples, Palm Beach, I wouldn't want to live there myself. Daughter lived in Naples for several years, high rents, cheesy apartments with lais and ducks that crap all over your walkway. Hot, humid, to many daddy long legs (our name for elderly men in shorts wearing sandals and socks). Enjoyed my visits to her and our trips to South Beach but live there. No way. Will let the rest of my high school graduating class go there and I'll visit them. Seems as if 1 out of every 3 already have condos or villas in communities on either side of the state.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 1:58 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Sorry can't talk now just off to my screened heated pools

You're in Florida why do you need a heated pool?
Old Sep 4th 2008, 2:07 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
You're in Florida why do you need a heated pool?
I like the hot tub at 104f
Old Sep 4th 2008, 3:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bill_S
LOL... thanks for asking, I've been wondering about this for years. Florida's about the last place in the US I'd want to live, yet so many Brits are hell-bent to move there. I don't get it either.
My husband has actually been asking me recently why Brits flock to Florida. He doesn't understand it! I couldn't really answer accept to say that there are certain places that are sort of your typical tourist places to visit, and I can only assume that when Brits visit and like it that's where they think of if they want to move...?
Old Sep 4th 2008, 3:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LynannC
All year sunshine after less than 8 hours of daylight in winter might be one reason. (Mid winter here in Scotland is about 6-7 hours actual daylight.) And 11 months of grey skies also makes the all year sunshine of Florida a plus.
I think pretty much everywhere in America gets more sunshine in winter than Scotland though?

I'm in Maine and we're 12 degrees further south than Edinburgh. Even Seattle's 8 degrees south of Edinburgh.

I don't miss those short winter days one bit. I do miss being able to get out of the drive without having to shovel all the snow off it though.

Maybe I'll move to Florida after all
Old Sep 4th 2008, 3:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
I think it's the temporary attraction of the opposites.

We were having our typical 100 F humid August afternoon and I walked past a couple of Brits stood in the parking lot where it had to be 110 F. They said they actually LIKED the heat. Well sure.... just like I think snow is pretty for a few hours.
I think I've got used to the heat, it's nice when I call home and they tell me about all the rain and grey skies.

You know what everyone comes here for...

Old Sep 4th 2008, 3:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Pft... Is this all.... I can take this..

Old Sep 4th 2008, 4:06 pm

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

My guess is that they pick it because of the weather (the weather is awful, I know, but most Brits based in the UK find the idea of baking somewhere like that or Spain very appealing!), affordable housing, it's proximity to Europe and the language...
Old Sep 4th 2008, 9:25 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kins
I think pretty much everywhere in America gets more sunshine in winter than Scotland though?

I'm in Maine and we're 12 degrees further south than Edinburgh. Even Seattle's 8 degrees south of Edinburgh.

I don't miss those short winter days one bit. I do miss being able to get out of the drive without having to shovel all the snow off it though.

Maybe I'll move to Florida after all
My parents retired there, but over in the Panhandle ( not the touristy part) because although they were New Englanders my dad's comment was the older you get, the longer the winters are.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 6:26 am
Lurk Lurk Lurk

tinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of light

Although I never planned to move here, I do love living here, depsite the heat, humidity, lizards, gators, hurricanes, tourists, theme parks, other Brits, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.