Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What is it about Florida?!?

What is it about Florida?!?

Old Sep 4th 2008, 6:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default What is it about Florida?!?

I don't recall reading a thread about this in the past, but I have to ask this.

What is it about Florida that attracts everyone outside the US like moths to a flame? I think if you ask a typical American, they'd be like "Florida, not bad to visit, wouldn't want to live there." Yet, every other post on here, people want to move there. I just really, really don't get the attraction.

Heat, humidity, lizards, alligators, hurricanes...Yet it seems every Brit wants to live there! What is up with that?
Old Sep 4th 2008, 6:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is it about Florida?!?

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13

What is it about Florida that attracts everyone outside the US like moths to a flame? I think if you ask a typical American, they'd be like "Florida, not bad to visit, wouldn't want to live there." Yet, every other post on here, people want to move there. I just really, really don't get the attraction.

Heat, humidity, lizards, alligators, hurricanes...Yet it seems every Brit wants to live there! What is up with that?
It is warm in the winter and has Disney World.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 7:03 pm
Lurk Lurk Lurk

tinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of light

Yeah, I don't get it either. I didn't choose to live here, I was actually supposed to move to Columbus, OH when I moved to the US. But my husband got offered a good job here, so that's why.

I really don't mind the heat, humidity, lizards or gators. I could certainly do without the hurricanes, but almost every part of the world has its own challenges. I'd rather deal with those than tornadoes or earthquakes, for example.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 8:13 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

because british tv sells the idea that everyone lives in florida in those swanky ranch style places that look flash inside and have screened heated pools. They see them on their holidays and think they could afford that (compared to what they pay back home) just forget to realise they wont necessrily earn the same etc or only get 2 weeks worth of holidays etc.

Also - what your prepared to accept on holiday isnt the same as living there and people forget that. IE you often eat out on hols a lot and the staff are very courteous as they rely on tips - so the holidaymakers think everyone is just so friendly.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 8:24 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry can't talk now just off to my screened heated pools
Old Sep 4th 2008, 8:25 pm
Banned

Kali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond repute

10,000 flies can't be wrong?
Old Sep 4th 2008, 8:50 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kali-forniarrr
10,000 flies can't be wrong?
well they tend to gather around shit.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 8:55 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's the temporary attraction of the opposites.

We were having our typical 100 F humid August afternoon and I walked past a couple of Brits stood in the parking lot where it had to be 110 F. They said they actually LIKED the heat. Well sure.... just like I think snow is pretty for a few hours.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 8:58 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
They said they actually LIKED the heat.
on holiday 100F is fine where you chose between the pool or the beach.

working on a construction site is a different matter.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 9:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's the temporary attraction of the opposites.

We were having our typical 100 F humid August afternoon and I walked past a couple of Brits stood in the parking lot where it had to be 110 F. They said they actually LIKED the heat. Well sure.... just like I think snow is pretty for a few hours.
Total nutjobs. The only place you'll find me in 110F is inside, sitting in the a/c (with the blinds closed to keep the heat out).

I suppose it's just a matter of thinking the grass is greener (or perhaps browner in the FL sun), but I just can't understand why it's always FL. The Carolinas get just as much heat, and fun in the sun, as does southern Miss. and AL or LA. Why not go there?

I suppose it all comes down to who advertises the most though.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 9:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

The Carolinas get just as much heat, and fun in the sun, as does southern Miss. and AL or LA. Why not go there?
I don't think they cater to the tourists as much.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 9:18 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

I don't see the attraction of Ibiza, either, but apparently a lot of Brits do.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 9:20 pm
@matthewb76

I don't see the attraction of Ibiza, either, but apparently a lot of Brits do.
cheap.

and to be fair, there is a lot more to Ibiza than San Antonio.

I cycled across the island and back one day, that's no bloody fun in July either.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 9:25 pm
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by Manc
cheap.

and to be fair, there is a lot more to Ibiza than San Antonio.

I cycled across the island and back one day, that's no bloody fun in July either.
Actually, San Antonio isn't a bad substitute for Florida, two Very Big amusement parks, cheap, and hot. You can get to the beach in a coupla hours. Then again Las Vegas seems more like a spot a Brit could love, than does Orlando.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 9:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Yet, every other post on here, people want to move there. I just really, really don't get the attraction.
LOL... thanks for asking, I've been wondering about this for years. Florida's about the last place in the US I'd want to live, yet so many Brits are hell-bent to move there. I don't get it either.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.