Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

we've gotta get out of this place

we've gotta get out of this place

Old Sep 20th 2003, 12:35 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: we've gotta get out of this place

Originally posted by veryfunny
You can get a job in banking but it will really be at the bottom of the scale, why not try a career course in banking at least that will make your look more banking material. After a couple of years moving up the ranks you may be able to get a working visa or so.
Sorry, banking is not a "special skill" that will qualify you for a visa to work in the US. The only way that would work is if (i) you reached senior managment level - well above that of branch manager, and (ii) if you worked for a bank that has both an American and UK branch network, ..... which means HSBC is your only hope.
Old Sep 20th 2003, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pulaski
Sorry, banking is not a "special skill" that will qualify you for a visa to work in the US. The only way that would work is if (i) you reached senior managment level - well above that of branch manager, and (ii) if you worked for a bank that has both an American and UK branch network, ..... which means HSBC is your only hope.
Yes Pulaski, I meant that as one moves up the ranks. Now, I know why you have five stars under your name.
Old Sep 20th 2003, 2:23 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by veryfunny
Yes Pulaski, I meant that as one moves up the ranks. Now, I know why you have five stars under your name.
And what I'm saying, but didn't make explicit, is that it would take ten or more years to reach sufficient seniority to even be considered, and even then your employer may not even be interested in transfering you to the US. In short, the chances of a career in retail banking taking you to the US is very remote.
Old Sep 20th 2003, 3:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pulaski
And what I'm saying, but didn't make explicit, is that it would take ten or more years to reach sufficient seniority to even be considered, and even then your employer may not even be interested in transfering you to the US. In short, the chances of a career in retail banking taking you to the US is very remote.
Yes but not impossible. Come on P, let the person dream and accomplish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Sep 20th 2003, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

superpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to all

Your best bet is probably IT. Get yourself some education (BSc in Computer Science is favourite, but any numerate degree would do), then get yourself a job - this should get you out of the valleys for a start.

If you still want to get out of the UK, then get a job with a multinational computer company - there are plenty with large UK operations - IBM, Oracle, Microsoft, or my employer, Sun Microsystems. As soon as you have your feet under the table, look at the internal job listings. IMHO, an intracompany transfer is the cheapest, easiest way to get to the US.

My company assigned me a relocation consultant, immigration lawyer, paid for a week-long househunting trip for me and my wife, paid for the one-way flights to get here, and gave me a month's salary to buy 'stuff' I'd need - in fact, I'm waiting in this morning for the delivery man with my TV, washer and dryer. If it wasn't for the fact that we picked out a rental house in May, and started paying rent in June (with the expectation of being here in July or August), we'd have actually made money on the move. The changes in visa policy meant that we didn't actually get here until September, but I digress...

The bottom line is that you can't click your heels together and say "There's no place like California" (or wherever), but it is possible to get here with a bit of foresight and hard work.

Good luck!

Pat
Old Sep 20th 2003, 3:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by superpat
Your best bet is probably IT. Get yourself some education (BSc in Computer Science is favourite, but any numerate degree would do), then get yourself a job - this should get you out of the valleys for a start.

If you still want to get out of the UK, then get a job with a multinational computer company - there are plenty with large UK operations - IBM, Oracle, Microsoft, or my employer, Sun Microsystems. As soon as you have your feet under the table, look at the internal job listings. IMHO, an intracompany transfer is the cheapest, easiest way to get to the US.

My company assigned me a relocation consultant, immigration lawyer, paid for a week-long househunting trip for me and my wife, paid for the one-way flights to get here, and gave me a month's salary to buy 'stuff' I'd need - in fact, I'm waiting in this morning for the delivery man with my TV, washer and dryer. If it wasn't for the fact that we picked out a rental house in May, and started paying rent in June (with the expectation of being here in July or August), we'd have actually made money on the move. The changes in visa policy meant that we didn't actually get here until September, but I digress...

The bottom line is that you can't click your heels together and say "There's no place like California" (or wherever), but it is possible to get here with a bit of foresight and hard work.

Good luck!

Pat
Yes I agree about cali, especially south cali.
Old Sep 21st 2003, 10:59 pm
Just Joined

Jimbo6103 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thank you!

I didn't expect such a response. Thanks for all your advice and tips keep you all posted. Banking is still something im interested in but computer science cant be all that bad im on the damm think almost every minute of the day now neway.

P.S Im not so sure about Cali sorry guys!!

Keep ya posted!!!
Old Sep 22nd 2003, 2:26 am
Only the Strong Survive

JerseyBoy is an unknown quantity at this point

Only other thing I would add - it's worth coming over here and spending some time travelling round and properly experiencing the culture. You taste all the good things on a flying visit, but the things you might not like take longer to be absorbed. Not to say that you won't ultimately prefer the package here - obviously we all do, but before you launch into what will be a lot of hard work, make sure you're pursuing the right dream.
Old Sep 22nd 2003, 2:28 am
Only the Strong Survive

JerseyBoy is an unknown quantity at this point

... and by the way Pulaski - have you kept track of how many times that post has been used? (when you're not too busy watching roads being built in your neighbourhood)
Old Sep 22nd 2003, 2:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Jimbo6103
Hello there im 18 and i live in the south Wales Valleys, oh yes the best place to be where all the jobs are and a endless amount of things to do......yer right!

I left school 2 years ago now with 7GCSE and I still can't get a decent job, Factory work is about as far as it goes! Can't take this anymore. I'm looking at taking up a job in banking but, I have got to get out of this hole!

I really want to go to America, but how do I go about it please help me out im all out of ideas and still stuck in the hip happening VAlleys.....aaaaaaggggghhhhhh!!!!

Please help Thanks in advance :scared:

Which valley? My mum lives in Ogmore Valley
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 1:28 am

Originally posted by JerseyBoy
... and by the way Pulaski - have you kept track of how many times that post has been used?
Nope, but I wish I had. I'd guess that I have used it around 25-30 times, though it was evolving in the early days - I think that I originally had as few as four ways to get a visa.

I am pretty sure that it has been "pirated" four times, so far!