Wikiposts

Westchester

Old Feb 12th 2008, 2:04 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Westchester

Here's a quick yahoo search result

http://www.csrealty.com/propertiesforrent.cfm
Old Feb 12th 2008, 2:05 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IceBrit
So now what are you suggesting?
Sounds like NJ might be right for you. If you wanted Westchester, I'd focus on http://www.mta.info/mnr/html/mnrmap.htm north of the New Rochelle/ Fleetwood/ Dobbs Ferry dotted line, and south of Croton-Harmon/Mt Kisco/Stamford dotted line. Whether you'll make the 1 hour cut off depends on where exactly your SO is going to work within Manhattan.

Chappaqua is where the Clintons live, Martha Stewart lives in Katonah, so if you're into the late 1990s, it's kind of a Mecca. Mary J Blige, Puffy and basketball stars live in Northern NJ. 50 Cent lives in Connecticut.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 2:28 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Hey folks ... it is spelled

Manhattan ... all "a"s no "e"s
Old Feb 12th 2008, 6:34 am
Forum Regular

IceBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Englishmum
My husband transferred to the NYC office also in April and I flew over with him for a 'look-see' to find somewhere to live. The company put him up in an apartment for a month in East 52nd St (next to the East River). I had *one* day to find somewhere to live - he was starting his new job and 'didn't have time' to go househunting. I had to fly back to Singapore as my mum had flown out to look after the kids and fell off my bike into a monsoon drain, fracturing her wrist! We did find a house, so it can be done!

I honestly think you should check out the local towns in the area where I live (another expat who posts here is moving here next month). The schools in our town (Millburn township) are amongst the best in the nation and there are quite a number of nursery schools including Montessori. The commute is definitely less than an hour door-to-door to and from Manhatten and 15-20 mins to the international airport. There is also a local 'Foreigners' expat group with mostly Brits and Aussies. Believe me, I spent hours and hours checking out where to live when we moved to the States and we really lucked out. I was posting the exact same questions as you on the BE boards....and I met up with one respondent for coffee in Starbucks on the day we decided to scout out the town we're now living in.

I was initially horrified at the thought of NJ (think 'opening credits' for The Sopranos!) but it is very leafy around here with all the streets being tree-lined with oak and maple trees. There is also the huge South Mountain reservation skirting the town.

Suggest you google Maplewood NJ, Millburn, NJ, Summit NJ, Chatham and Madison NJ.

Is a relocation advisor helping you? The company hired one for us but she only knew about Manhatten.....

Thanks everyone, again you've been very helpful. I think I'm going to have to try and look at a few places in Westchester and a few in NJ in those 2 days. We should be getting a relocation advisor to help us so fingers crossed they'll know a bit more than the city.

I probably should have mentioned that husband's office is only a five minute walk from Grand Central station.

Please, please, any other thoughts you might have, please post them on here!

Thank you!
Old Feb 12th 2008, 7:02 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

OK, I'll openly admit I am prejudiced against NJ, but if his office is close to GCT and in Midtown, if I were in your position, my preference (and remember it's your choice and you'll live with the consequences!) would be to go Westchester or Southern Connecticut over NJ. BUT!!! I don't live in suburbia and other people on here do, so my opinion isn't necessarily that important.

Also, as a wild card, why not consider living in Park Slope (Brooklyn)? If you live close to Prospect Park, that's a huge resource, and you can get big nice "brownstones" (a little like Edinburgh or Bristol Georgian terraces) for that budget.

Also, check today's article on NJ's traffic woes:

Though California is famous for its gridlocked freeways, no state beats New Jersey when it comes to congested highways. Commuters in New Jersey also have the third-longest travel time to work — exceeding California’s — even though the state also has the second-highest percentage of mass transportation use.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/12/ny...gestion&st=nyt

Edit: you should also consider tax and school district questions. Even if you live in NJ, you (your husband) would be paying NYC taxes as a commuter. Local government/schools are paid for by taxes on property owners. If you rent, it's usually included in the rent money you pay your landlord. There are also state taxes on car ownership, but compared to everything else I wouldn't let that swing you between living in NJ or NY.

Last edited by lapin_windstar; Feb 12th 2008 at 7:06 am.
Old Feb 13th 2008, 8:35 am
Just Joined

Worsel is an unknown quantity at this point

the point that hasn't been mentioned is the schools. westchester has some of the best public (ie state) schools in the country, particularly scarsdale and bronxville. as has been said westchester is perfect for anyone on the east side of midtown because the trains come in to grand central. i'm lucky enough to work above gc, which is particularly handy for the commute.