Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

West Coast / Bay Area - Tips

West Coast / Bay Area - Tips

Old Oct 23rd 2017, 10:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: West Coast / Bay Area - Tips

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
I'm quite happy here, thanks. Maybe if you dislike as much as your posts suggest, you should move away?
P.S. If someone is considering moving here they should be aware of the downside. The degradation and despair of your fellow citizens must be of some concern?
Old Oct 23rd 2017, 10:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnwoo
P.S. If someone is considering moving here they should be aware of the downside. The degradation and despair of your fellow citizens must be of some concern?
A fellow citizen.

Also note that the OP is from north London, hardly an uncrowded area itself.
Old Oct 23rd 2017, 11:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

I'm quite happy here, thanks. Maybe if you dislike as much as your posts suggest, you should move away?
A fellow citizen.

Also note that the OP is from north London, hardly an uncrowded area itself.
Maybe that's why he wants to move away from London. If I were to ever move back it certainly would not be London, and I'm originally from there.

Perhaps you can tell me if any of the points I've made are invalid? and if you and he aren't bothered by them, then that's fine.
Old Oct 23rd 2017, 11:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe that's why he wants to move away from London. If I were to ever move back it certainly would not be London, and I'm originally from there.
I don't see anything in what he posted that suggests that. London - what a wonderful cosmopolitan city it is.

Perhaps you can tell me if any of the points I've made are invalid? and if you and he aren't bothered by them, then that's fine.
It's more the unrelenting negativity of your posts about the Bay Area that I notice. Yes, there are significant problems here - traffic and cost being two of them - but (i) for me, at least, there are significant upsides of being here as well - for example, I've never lived anywhere with such a plethora of hiking opportunities; and (ii) if I felt as negative about where I was living as you seem to, I would do something about it.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Oct 23rd 2017 at 11:22 pm.
Old Oct 23rd 2017, 11:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

It's more the unrelenting negativity of your posts about the Bay Area that I notice. Yes, there are significant problems here - traffic and cost being two of them - but (i) for me, at least, there are significant upsides of being here as well - for example, I've never lived anywhere with such a plethora of hiking opportunities; and (ii) if I felt as negative about where I was living as you seem to, I would do something about it.
You shouldn't presume that I am not, and in case you haven't noticed several other BE posters from the Bay Area are also considering moving away for much the same reasons.
It is OK to have a different perspective on things isn't? I'm not asking you anyone else to agree with me. I've lived here for 47 years and quality of life here has deteriorated in the last decade. Just a my opinion don't take it so personally.

Last edited by johnwoo; Oct 23rd 2017 at 11:42 pm.
Old Oct 23rd 2017, 11:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You shouldn't presume that I am not.
I don't. Of course San Luis Obispo is getting more expensive and crowded too...
Old Oct 23rd 2017, 11:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

I don't. Of course San Luis Obispo is getting more expensive and crowded too...
Quite my son lives there so I know it well. Nowhere within 50 miles of the coast is cheap in California. On the plus side I am quite property rich having bought my house many years ago. Maybe I'll stay and let my children benefit from it,

I don't want an adversarial with you I generally agree with you on most issues.
Old Oct 24th 2017, 2:33 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

In my opinion Silicon Valley and Hi Tech are the worst thing to happen in the Bay Area. Let them move to the South and all the techies with them.
So, you're basically saying that it has all been downhill since the mid 1950's ...
Old Oct 24th 2017, 2:40 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

I've lived here for 47 years and quality of life here has deteriorated in the last decade.
I have only been here for 30 years but I agree that a lot has changed over that time, particularly in the last 20 years or so and much of it has not been for the better but, that being said, things have changed a lot pretty much *everywhere* over that period. I lived in London 35 years ago and, if I went back to live there now I would probably find a lot to complain about there as well.

So, no, the Bay Area isn't perfect, it has lots of problems and it certainly isn't for everybody but I don't regret moving here and I don't regret still being here and I wouldn't discourage someone from coming here provided that they had a realistic set of expectations.
Old Oct 24th 2017, 8:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
So, you're basically saying that it has all been downhill since the mid 1950's ...
I don't think he meant downhill the way you see it but downhill in terms of quality of life for himself. Unfortunately there are many places that have lost their vibe and the world is becoming smaller and smaller.

Just like some people in Mallorca wish it was the island it used to be or the people who knew Benidorm as a quaint fishing village. Of course we all have to move on and adapt but most people wouldn't want a motorway in their back garden if the reason they moved to a place was the peaceful back garden etc.
Old Oct 25th 2017, 6:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Moses2013
I don't think he meant downhill the way you see it but downhill in terms of quality of life for himself.
Actually, that's exactly what I thought that he meant
Old Oct 25th 2017, 1:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Imho the Bay area remains a wonderful area but I think posts here are very fair in the interests of truly providing a 'picture' of what it has become in the last 20-25 years. Like many places it is now overcrowded and over priced. I've lived in the city, south of the city, Marin and the East Bay. Now I would not move back there for less than 200-250K p.a. to maintain current lifestyle. As a newcomer to the area it will hit anyone like a ton of bricks house prices and rents are terrible, commuting is a nightmare. As an example in Walnut Creek I was offered a house in 1991 for $150, same house now between 1-1.5 million.

Just use the techie's favorite real estate website to see what you are coming to for prices and rent:

https://www.redfin.com/

The Bay area is a beautiful place to visit but not so to live and work if you have to commute god help you. And do consider that the reason hiring is taking place from out of the area is that many many people are trying their damndest to get out!

Last edited by vikingsail; Oct 25th 2017 at 1:39 pm.
Old Oct 25th 2017, 2:09 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vikingsail
..... As an example in Walnut Creek I was offered a house in 1991 for $150, same house now between 1-1.5 million. ....
At that price in 1991 I'd have snapped up a dozen of them!
Old Oct 25th 2017, 6:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by vikingsail
And do consider that the reason hiring is taking place from out of the area is that many many people are trying their damndest to get out!
Hiring, especially in high tech, has taken place from outside the area for the last half century. The consequent growth in population is the major reason for the area's cost and traffic woes.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Oct 25th 2017 at 6:17 pm.
Old Oct 28th 2017, 1:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Hiring, especially in high tech, has taken place from outside the area for the last half century. The consequent growth in population is the major reason for the area's cost and traffic woes.
Indeed - and for everyone who is trying to get "out" of the area there are many more hopefuls trying to get "in" ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.