Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Well CRAP...

Wikiposts

Well CRAP...

Old Apr 1st 2005, 12:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Well CRAP...

We got to the 2nd last stage of the PERM recruitment. Advertised with the SWA for 30 days and got no qualified people and finally got my boss to agree to the prevailing wage the INS stipulated. The last was the most difficult... the two, one day ads in the local paper on a Sunday. They agreed to let us post it under General, and got many responses (as we did with the SWA) but no-one was "qualified" under the stipluations they had set.

So we were all set to go with the final ad on Sunday and we got a resume today from a lady with 20 years + experience who has just been fired, and is available to start immediately. My bosses know this person and do not want to hire her (apparently she has a reputation), but hey she is qualified. So we had to put the last ad on hold until we see if we can disqualify her.

So they sent out a questionnaire today asking her for the minimum salary and benefits package she will accept. If it's on par or less than what I am getting then the labor cert app is over. So we shall see, I guess if it's meant to be it will happen.

If, with a MAJOR stroke of luck we get through this and the final ad, then I can file immediately and they are hopeful we will get a decision in 40-60 days if we don't get audited. Either way, I will know in the next week or two if it's gonna even get to the filing the papers stage....

I do thankfully have a backup plan - I am finally getting the wayward tenant out of my house, and if I have to - I am gonna take a home equity or sell the house. With the exchange rate as it is, I should have more than enough to pay my way through school for at least a year, perhaps more, as a last resort.

Onward thru the fog I guess!!!
Old Apr 1st 2005, 2:02 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Well CRAP...

Bit of an arse ain't it....well I hope you find somin' to disquality that person...she smoke?...have a strict no smoke policy or somin'
Old Apr 1st 2005, 6:26 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

It's usually easier to disqualify someone after interviewing them. This is where the private sector gets messed up. For government, you just interview everyone with the same set of questions, grade them all in a matrix, and write up a justification letter. If you pick good interview questions, you'll always be able to get the person you want.
Old Apr 1st 2005, 10:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

such a shame, Hope it works out for you.