Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Welfare Question

Wikiposts

Welfare Question

Old Jan 8th 2008, 3:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Welfare Question

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
Hot food is often (always?) excluded from food stamp schemes. It wasn't a campus or employee food card instead, by any chance, was it?
Papa Murphy is prepared instore and cooked at home.
Old Jan 8th 2008, 4:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
Well... I guess it's like the chips and soda issue Silly Sod mentioned - or the lobster - poor people can eat pizza too...

I guess as long as it's actual food, which food is their choice.
Very true... makes me wonder though, would they need to go to food pantries or deer processors if they spend their food stamps a little more carfully.
Old Jan 8th 2008, 4:15 pm

mdyoung is an unknown quantity at this point

I remember when I was a kid we would go to my grandmother's home in western North Carolina and she would get government staples each month, e.g. rice, flour, powdered eggs and milk

Now it's probably less overhead for the government to use Food Stamps and Independence Cards, but Food Stamps should not be allowed to be used for fast foods. Should be for staples only, e.g, bread, eggs, milk, meat, flour, etc.

Here a person is supposedly poor and they are being provided money to buy food and blowing it ordering pizza. If that's the case maybe they need to reduce the amount of Food Stamps. Let them buy a pizza kit and make their own pizza.
Old Jan 8th 2008, 4:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

I was stuck in line behind a woman at Dominicks the other day who was using what was left on her food stamp card to buy soda. She was arguing about the deal she was supposed to get on it, her card wouldn't let her buy that much apparently. I couldn't help but think that she could have spent that money on so many better food products for her kids than soda. It wasn't even diet!
Old Jan 8th 2008, 4:27 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mdyoung
Here a person is supposedly poor and they are being provided money to buy food and blowing it ordering pizza. If that's the case maybe they need to reduce the amount of Food Stamps. Let them buy a pizza kit and make their own pizza.
You assume that these people have time on their hands to cook when the minimum wage is not a livable wage? Granted a pizza kit isn't cooking, but using staples from the government program would definitely require cooking. My grandparents would get some too, but my grandmother did not work. Cooking is the last freaking thing I want to do after starting the day at 5 am and walking in the door at 6 pm.
Old Jan 8th 2008, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Cooking is the last freaking thing I want to do after starting the day at 5 am and walking in the door at 6 pm.
That's life. I don't want to work, but you gotta do what you gotta do. Purpose of Food Stamps is to make sure people don't starve, not save time.
Old Jan 8th 2008, 4:34 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Cooking is the last freaking thing I want to do after starting the day at 5 am and walking in the door at 6 pm.
its not ideal obviously, but surely if you are on a restricted income you have to make best use of the food?
Old Jan 8th 2008, 4:37 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

That's life. I don't want to work, but you gotta do what you gotta do. Purpose of Food Stamps is to make sure people don't starve, not save time.
I don't think you get this.

There's only so much time in the day. Would I rather a low-income parent spend time cooking from scratch, or time going over homework with the kids? I know I spend every damn minute sleep deprived and doing stuff with and for the kids (school mostly) and there's very little "me" time (I should be in bed now). None of this would change if I suddenly began making the minimum wage.

It drives me absolutely insane that a political party can call themselves "family values" and then screw, absolutely screw over children. Children are more likely to be in poverty; educational spending is lousy; and the President won't expand CHIP. It's somehow a sin to abort a fetus, but once it's here the government is more than happy to have the child live in abject neglect -- hell, it'll even lose some children in foster care.

This is shit, pure shit.
Old Jan 8th 2008, 4:41 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

yup

I completely agree

I just evicted a couple who had 2-3 young kids for non payment of rent

after me telling her that she or her partner should get additional employment to increase their income she told me ' I already work from 12-8:30, when would i see my kids?'

i nearly laughed at this ****ed up retarded repsonse. last time i checked 8.5 hours is a normal working day and considering a lot of my friends and I have a part time job in addition to our regular income i though her statement was ridiculous... work more and see your kids less or become homeless. I know which is preferable

even more ridiculous is that both the tenants are 3-400 pounds and despite not paying rent they felt that getting take away sushi from walmart/kroger is a good plan :curse:
Old Jan 8th 2008, 4:44 pm
Mr. Grumpy

There's only so much time in the day. Would I rather a low-income parent spend time cooking from scratch, or time going over homework with the kids? I know I spend every damn minute sleep deprived and doing stuff with and for the kids (school mostly) and there's very little "me" time (I should be in bed now). None of this would change if I suddenly began making the minimum wage.

It drives me absolutely insane that a political party can call themselves "family values" and then screw, absolutely screw over children. Children are more likely to be in poverty; educational spending is lousy; and the President won't expand CHIP. It's somehow a sin to abort a fetus, but once it's here the government is more than happy to have the child live in abject neglect -- hell, it'll even lose some children in foster care.

This is shit, pure shit.

i think the point is the the other poster is saying that pre-prepared food is more costly than takeaway... If you are under the poverty line then you need to do what it takes

I completely agree with you regarding screwing over children, however in my experience in a lot of cases parents have a lot to answer for.

to put into context I had a very underprivileged childhood so i've been there first hand, my wife has been dealing with indigent families for 5-6 years and a bunch of my friends are social workers

Last edited by BritGuyTN; Jan 8th 2008 at 4:47 pm.
Old Jan 8th 2008, 4:45 pm
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
yup

I completely agree

I just evicted a couple who had 2-3 young kids for non payment of rent

after me telling her that she or her partner should get additional employment to increase their income she told me ' I already work from 12-8:30, when would i see my kids?'

i nearly laughed at this ****ed up retarded repsonse. last time i checked 8.5 hours is a normal working day and considering a lot of my friends and I have a part time job in addition to our regular income i though her statement was ridiculous... work more and see your kids less or become homeless. I know which is preferable.
Preferrable? an effing living wage.... if she works what is amounting to a 40 hour week, she should be above poverty level....but the minimum wage is still too low. And sorry to be sexist, but you are not a mother. We already have a second job that is round the clock.
Old Jan 8th 2008, 4:48 pm

This is shit, pure shit.
My wife works full-time and make a real dinner most days, Buy a Crock Pot

Educational spending is lousy? I would like to lnow the total spend on education at the county, state and federal level and the more money spent the worse it gets.

Didn't expand CHIP because they wanted to include families that were not poor, but like every government program they try to make it bigger and bigger.
Old Jan 8th 2008, 4:51 pm
Mr. Grumpy

Preferrable? an effing living wage.... if she works what is amounting to a 40 hour week, she should be above poverty level....but the minimum wage is still too low. And sorry to be sexist, but you are not a mother. We already have a second job that is round the clock.
surely its preferable to work a 60 hour week, see your kids less and not live in a homeless shelter?

the minimum wage is totally too low and i know parenting is a huge responsibility, but it is what it is and you need to do what it takes to have food on the table and a roof over your head
Old Jan 8th 2008, 4:53 pm
Mr. Grumpy

just saw what CHIP is - yes, when Bush vetoed it I thought it was horrendous
Old Jan 8th 2008, 4:57 pm
Lapine Member

My wife works full-time and make a real dinner most days, Buy a Crock Pot.
YOU try making it and taking care of the kids. Please remember that I'm a single parent -- my husband is the kids' stepfather and I do 99% of the things that have to be done for the kids.

I agree that that it's better to have a roof over your head -- but so many days I'm near physical and emotional collapse from work, the house, and the kids. I can't imagine doing it all for $7 per hour.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.