Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Weird San Jose headache

Weird San Jose headache

Old Jan 23rd 2012, 2:09 pm
Catahoula Lover!!!

Burn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Weird San Jose headache

Originally Posted by lansbury
The thing that effects me is forced air hearing. It dries out the air in the house, I quiet often wake up with a mild headache in winter. Wears off as soon as I'm up and doing things.
I would go with this too!!! it really really does screw up your sinuses, I was having terrible nosebleeds as it had dried out my nasal membranes so badly!! now I have to put vasaline on my nose regularly! Plus it plays havoc with your skin, so think of how dry the air is and it make sense!!!

It is a great way of heating your house quickly though
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

tilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Englishman43
I did have that but after cutting back from 12 pints a night to 6 it seems to have cleared up.
Ha ha I was awaiting that one :-)
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

tilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by penguinsix
One more really weird option.

Do you have a level? Is your bed actually level, or is the head of your bed a bit lower than the rest of the bed (thus leading to some blood rushing to you head situations on nights you don't have a pillow or your pillow is pushed down more)? I was staying at a friend's house one and had splitting headaches until I realized their floors were not level and I was basically sleeping at an angle.

Just a thought.
I will check that ! its a new bed and I helped put it together so very likely not level ..
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Burn1911
I would go with this too!!! it really really does screw up your sinuses, I was having terrible nosebleeds as it had dried out my nasal membranes so badly!! now I have to put vasaline on my nose regularly! Plus it plays havoc with your skin, so think of how dry the air is and it make sense!!!

It is a great way of heating your house quickly though
Thanks , so maybe I will try a humidifier ! I must admit I do get a nose type bleed so this makes a lot of sense.

So is a humidifier in Northern California normal to be needed? have not been here that long to know if the air is very dry, but if a humidifier will help I will go get one ... thanks all
Old Jan 26th 2012, 6:39 pm
Just Joined

ascotsgranny is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you using new mattresses, perhaps? USA manufacturers are required to add a fire retardant and most of them use a really toxic type. Some use milder ones or natural ones like wool. Ikea uses the European type which is much safer so we buy our mattresses there. I heard Stearns & Foster use a safer type. Also, new carpeting and underlay can give off fumes, as does MDF (releases formaldehyde) and other building materials. Eighteen months after moving into our brand new house in 1997 I was diagnosed with lymphoma, so I'm paranoid about this stuff! Hope you can isolate the cause and resolve it!
Old Jan 26th 2012, 8:15 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ascotsgranny
... as does MDF (releases formaldehyde) and other building materials....
Only when you burn it or heat it up enough to start to char.
Old Jan 27th 2012, 10:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ascotsgranny
Are you using new mattresses, perhaps? USA manufacturers are required to add a fire retardant and most of them use a really toxic type. Some use milder ones or natural ones like wool. Ikea uses the European type which is much safer so we buy our mattresses there. I heard Stearns & Foster use a safer type. Also, new carpeting and underlay can give off fumes, as does MDF (releases formaldehyde) and other building materials. Eighteen months after moving into our brand new house in 1997 I was diagnosed with lymphoma, so I'm paranoid about this stuff! Hope you can isolate the cause and resolve it!
Hmmmmm interesting point, I will look into that thanks , not been too bad in the last week which is good, thanks all