Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Wedding Insurance

Wedding Insurance

Old Jul 23rd 2017, 10:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

GeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond repute
Default Wedding Insurance

Wondered if anyone had had any experience with wedding insurers whilst living in the USA?

My fiance and I are both UK citizens and getting married back in the UK next year (we're already married for the visa but we're having the party this time).

We're starting to drop some money on suppliers and I wanted to get us insured, but the usual suspects (John Lewis, M&S etc won't insure us if we're not resident in the UK)

I'd be open to insuring with an American insurer for an overseas wedding but I don't know the market or the reputable suppliers here.

Any tips?
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 11:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wedding Insurance

I've never heard of wedding insurance.

We had some liability insurance, but that was because we had alcohol.
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 11:21 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I am not sure what you'd be insuring against? If it was being too sick to travel or a fatality in the family making travel inconvenient, then travel insurance would do the sake thing, wouldn't it?

Or are you talking about insuring against the fee on a marquee and catering, and not being able to be there? .....Honestly I think the insurance would be expensive enough that I wouldn't want to pay that much because I would perceive the risk lower than the insurer would.
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 11:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

GeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond repute

Insuring against being let down by suppliers.

e.g. if I pay £14k on a venue which subsequently goes bust before the day.
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 11:31 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeneralPowerpoint

e.g. if I pay £14k on a venue which subsequently goes bust before the day.
Put it on a credit card. Problem solved.

In practice you shouldn't be paying much/most of the cost until the time of delivery of the service or immediately afterwards. I only paid the venue of our wedding breakfast a deposit and then settled the balance immediately afterwards. It was perhaps the most expensive "restaurant bill" I will ever pay!

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 23rd 2017 at 11:34 pm.
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 11:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Put it on a credit card. Problem solved.
Hah! I wish I had a credit limit that extended to the full cost of the wedding!
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 11:36 pm

Hah! I wish I had a credit limit that extended to the full cost of the wedding!
Either you need bigger credit limits, or to spend a lot less on your wedding.
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 11:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Either you need bigger credit limits, or to spend a lot less on your wedding.
Or I could just buy wedding insurance separately.
Old Jul 24th 2017, 12:04 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

What is it, exactly, that you're trying to guard against? If a supplier lets you down, and it's a day before the wedding, then even wedding insurance isn't going to save the day. You can sue the supplier for breach of contract... but, honest to god, that's not going to fix the problem - which is a big hole in the wedding where something should be but isn't.

I'm not sure what it is you need wedding insurance for?

Ian
Old Jul 24th 2017, 12:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Guys, I appreciate the responses. But I'm not looking for a philosophical discussion on the merits of insurance. Just if anyone has any recommendations.

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
What is it, exactly, that you're trying to guard against? If a supplier lets you down, and it's a day before the wedding, then even wedding insurance isn't going to save the day. You can sue the supplier for breach of contract...
I've already explained I'm looking to insure against suppliers going insolvent, or otherwise not able to meet their obligations. If the worst happens it's going to be considerably more sensible to have insurance than trying to sue an insolvent company for breach of contract.
Old Jul 24th 2017, 12:23 am
Just Joined

atlanta355 is an unknown quantity at this point

True story: A friend decided not go thru with his wedding the day before in London last year. Right now the bride to be is suing him for all wedding costs, extended families international travel and hotels plus grief on top etc. I think for around 75k. Apparently she has a legitimate claim as my friend has had to hire a lawyer and is about the go to court for the second time. I can see insuring against this scenario, maybe part of a pre nup.

In terms of the OP's use case: I would look to get a copy of all your suppliers insurance which spells out their liability if they don't deliver services etc. It would probably be a lot easier to use one reputable wedding company in the UK to manage the whole wedding and hold them accountable including showing adequate insurance. That way they hold the risk of the suppliers. Even more so if you are using small suppliers and many of them.

I doubt a US provider will cover the UK wedding other than maybe flights and hotels etc.

Last edited by atlanta355; Jul 24th 2017 at 12:28 am.
Old Jul 24th 2017, 12:29 am

Guys, I appreciate the responses. But I'm not looking for a philosophical discussion on the merits of insurance. Just if anyone has any recommendations. .....
I did, two recommendations in fact - (i) pay with a credit card, and (ii) carry the risk yourself. And there is nothing to stop you doing a bit of each - pay part with a credit card, and carry part of the risk your self, but honestly, if you are paying so much that you can't carry the risk, you are paying too much for your wedding.
Old Jul 24th 2017, 12:32 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

I did, two recommendations in fact - (i) pay with a credit card, and (ii) carry the risk yourself. And there is nothing to stop you doing a bit of each - pay part with a credit card, and carry part of the risk your self, but honestly, if you are paying so much that you can't carry the risk, you are paying too much for your wedding.
I agree with those two.

Third option I see is have a UK resident pay and insure it.

You could pay them back... But they might demand insurance.
Old Jul 24th 2017, 12:33 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Wedding Insurance is fairly common in the UK. It can be tailored to cover various eventualities - cancellation, failure to deliver service contracted, accidents, bad weather etc etc. you can get similar cover for all kinds of events - birthdays, anniversaries,graduation parties - the list goes on. Whether you're prepared to pay the quoted premium is another matter!
Old Jul 24th 2017, 12:35 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

here you go: Wedding Insurance: What it covers and cheap deals - MSE
Quite cheap actually - £70 for £30,000 cover

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.