Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

We wish you a Tacky Christmas

We wish you a Tacky Christmas

Old Nov 17th 2003, 2:56 am
Forum Regular

Bookworm is an unknown quantity at this point

I took a trip to IKEA today. Just to get some ginger bread - although I don't celebrate Christmas - no reason not to like some of the food. If I just could get some decent beer as well to come over the winter here.

Old Nov 17th 2003, 12:54 pm
Emm
BE Enthusiast

Emm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Bookworm
I took a trip to IKEA today. Just to get some ginger bread - although I don't celebrate Christmas - no reason not to like some of the food. If I just could get some decent beer as well to come over the winter here.

Have you got a 'Total Wine' store where you are? Aswell as selling lots of wine they had quite a few of my hubby's favourite beers/lagers. I stuck to the ones I knew he liked (Grolsch and Becks) but they had lots of cans and bottles of proper English Ale and the like (Old Speckled Hen, Boddingtons, Newcastle Brown, etc.).

Might be worth checking out, we shall certainly be going there again.

Emm.
Old Nov 17th 2003, 12:56 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Poppy33usa
I intend to open my pressies, eat alot, get pis*ed and watch xmas telly....I wonder if they show The Wizard of Oz over here at Xmas like they do back home?....or a xmas Carol.?....aah xmas with all its tackiness, I love it
Poppy
Dunno about the Wizard of Oz, but you can guarantee that It's a Beautiful Life will be on .
Does anyone know why all the christmas episodes are show the week before christmas, leaving just the repeats to be shown on christmas week?

Lastly, one of our neighbours has cheated in the race to be first with the christmas decs up after thanksgiving, they've already got their Xmas tree up!!
Old Nov 17th 2003, 2:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

The Wizzard of Oz was played on TBS here last night. They tend to repeat their films a lot, so check listings for a re run.

Also, I notice that Fox are showing an American idol Christmas special.................In November!!!
Old Nov 17th 2003, 3:17 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pimpbot
The Wizzard of Oz was played on TBS here last night. They tend to repeat their films a lot, so check listings for a re run.

Also, I notice that Fox are showing an American idol Christmas special.................In November!!!
Before Thanksgiving!!!!!!!!
Old Nov 17th 2003, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

ArsNo2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by ladyofthelake
Dunno about the Wizard of Oz, but you can guarantee that It's a Beautiful Life will be on .
Does anyone know why all the christmas episodes are show the week before christmas, leaving just the repeats to be shown on christmas week?

Lastly, one of our neighbours has cheated in the race to be first with the christmas decs up after thanksgiving, they've already got their Xmas tree up!!
Walked the dog last night, turned the corner and there were the first outside Xmas Lights up in Plano that I've seen. Santa, Reindeer, the lot - looked out of my front window earlier (p**ssing it down outside - bit of a flood in the road) and there are the professionals that a neighbour across the road hires, in the middle of putting up lights, and sheltering under the tree....

Ha Ha

Thank goodness Hubby has decided to decorate the Dining Room - too busy for him to get into the act yet. He loves it, goes tacky big time - lights everything he possibly can and has all the twirly trees, santa/sleigh etc. snowmen...... that our outside electric boxes can take....
Old Nov 17th 2003, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

Bookworm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Emm
Have you got a 'Total Wine' store where you are? Aswell as selling lots of wine they had quite a few of my hubby's favourite beers/lagers. I stuck to the ones I knew he liked (Grolsch and Becks) but they had lots of cans and bottles of proper English Ale and the like (Old Speckled Hen, Boddingtons, Newcastle Brown, etc.).

Might be worth checking out, we shall certainly be going there again.

Emm.
Thanks, I checked out my nearest wine store - and indeed an old speckled hen was sitting in a corner. What a joyful moment when we finally were introduced to each other...
Old Nov 18th 2003, 12:14 am
I'm as thick as a plank!

PrincessofWales is an unknown quantity at this point

well I have the egg nog in (alcoholic version only 7 bucks though) and the dog has already been kitted out with reindeer ears care of Old Navy....nothing to do with me, honest.

There is something so tacky about the "holidays" in the US that you just have to give in and go along with it...else you just become a miserable git and end up spending all Christmas day pining for Del and Rodney....

(she says cringeing slightly, coz I still miss a UK Christmas...at least there is more chance of snow here and none of that silly Met Office "bets are on for a White Christmas" nonsense)
Old Nov 18th 2003, 2:40 am
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of
Default Re: We wish you a Tacky Christmas

Originally posted by dylan&helen
I am having Christmas on the 13th December (Saturday)..

Gonna have a big party at my house (you are all invited)

Then i leave for Florida on Dec 16th for 5 weeks (doing xmas at Disney for my son - maybe the last time i go there), holidaying, looking around at the important things & opening a bank account (thanks for the advice on that one by the way)

Dylan
Yawn, you have told us about 10 million times, enough already.
Old Nov 18th 2003, 6:45 am
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute

With reference to TV at Xmas...

I dont know about It's a Beautiful Life or Wizard of Oz but I was over here visiting a couple of years ago and one channel had "A Christmas Story" on 20 times in a row on Xmas Eve!!!!

It got boring after the 1st time, let alone the 20th!?!?!

While I appreciate that the whole purpose of this was that the station staff had the Christmas Eve off and worked on Christmas Day. I can only describe it as bloody boring television.

The main problem is that my American wife (and her entire family) loves the film so I was subjected to 24 hours of torture as the film was replayed over and over again.

Whatever happened to "One of out dinosaurs is missing"? BBC used to show that every Christmas Eve without fail up until a few years ago...
Old Nov 18th 2003, 11:13 am
Under Achiever

dudleydowg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: We wish you a Tacky Christmas

Originally posted by effi
Yawn, you have told us about 10 million times, enough already.

He's excited, don't you remember what is was like to be excited at the thought of moving to a new life?

Personally this will be my last xmas in the UK and i'm pretty excited by this will be the final time I have to endure a James Bond movie straight after Liz's annual bullshit.
Old Nov 18th 2003, 12:19 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by CitySimon
With reference to TV at Xmas...

I dont know about It's a Beautiful Life or Wizard of Oz but I was over here visiting a couple of years ago and one channel had "A Christmas Story" on 20 times in a row on Xmas Eve!!!!

It got boring after the 1st time, let alone the 20th!?!?!

While I appreciate that the whole purpose of this was that the station staff had the Christmas Eve off and worked on Christmas Day. I can only describe it as bloody boring television.

The main problem is that my American wife (and her entire family) loves the film so I was subjected to 24 hours of torture as the film was replayed over and over again.

Whatever happened to "One of out dinosaurs is missing"? BBC used to show that every Christmas Eve without fail up until a few years ago...
That's so funny!! They actually watched it over and over again? I heard one year that a local station somewhere in New York ( I think) just showed a burning log fire all day and pulled in a huge audience. Makes you appreciate the efforts the beeb goes to at Xmas.
Old Nov 18th 2003, 12:53 pm
Yorkshire/London/Miami

Dufus is an unknown quantity at this point

Personally this will be my last xmas in the UK and i'm pretty excited by this will be the final time I have to endure a James Bond movie straight after Liz's annual bullshit.
Me too DudleyDowg, I am departing for USA first week of New Year and this year it just seems more amusing than ever.

I wonder what wonderful things our Queen will have to spout at us this year ? Lovely stories about Burrell or tales of Charles and his underling ?

Hilarious. Oh well at least my new leader is visiting this week, ho ho ho
Old Nov 18th 2003, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ladyofthelake
That's so funny!! They actually watched it over and over again? I heard one year that a local station somewhere in New York ( I think) just showed a burning log fire all day and pulled in a huge audience. Makes you appreciate the efforts the beeb goes to at Xmas.

We are in Upstate New York!!!

It was probably the same TV station
Old Nov 18th 2003, 3:33 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

I heard one year that a local station somewhere in New York ( I think) just showed a burning log fire all day and pulled in a huge audience
Hey !! What a great idea for a screen saver. Anyone know where I could find one?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.