Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Are we really in the 21st Century?

Are we really in the 21st Century?

Old May 2nd 2005, 4:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are we really in the 21st Century?

Originally Posted by Patrick
As if I am not amazed enough that the US is not metric and is about 20 years behind europe technically I now have to deal with the fact North Carolina is about 400 years behind in there thinking.

As most of you know I foster and as part of the foster parent circle we are sometimes asked to mentor new foster parents through the sometimes difficult first couple of months. They only let you mentor one family at a time and we currently have a lovely couple we mentor. This week our Social worker called and asked if we could take a second couple, they have a gay couple about to get their license and have been turned down by over 20 foster parents to mentor because they are gay! This was mentioned in the weekly meeting and apparently our social worker stood up and said "these guys will work with them, they are from Europe!" - I still haven't worked out if that was supposed to be a good thing or a bad thing.

We live in an all white, conservative subdivision and I keep begging my social worker to give us a black child to foster just to piss off all my neighbors, I think it would be hilarious to shake up the hood - I would soon find out who my true friends are thats for sure.

Anyone need a soapbox

Patrick
Seems there are going to a whole of kids who will be denied a good life, just because of some people's outmoded outlook on life

http://www.news8austin.com/content/l...82&ArID=135687

seems have a good chance of becoming Texas law
Old May 2nd 2005, 5:00 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandpete
Two years ago we had a huge power failure here, which I think originated in Canada. The whole area affected must have been bigger than the UK but I don't ever remember anything like that happening in Europe.
In the interests of fairness, it should be pointed out that according to this there have seems to have been two big blackouts in Europe since the one here in 2003, one of which (in Italy) affected more people.

However, despite the US trying to blame it all on Canada (which they seem to do quite a lot), it seems the 2003 blackout kicked off in Ohio.
Old May 2nd 2005, 5:11 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
The minimum wage can incorporate tips too so the employer in fact will pay less than minimum wage because anticipated tips make up the shortfall. I believe this is the case...
I think that depends on state and maybe occupation??
Old May 2nd 2005, 6:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

I think many of the US cars look old fashioned as well. I've recently noticed T.V adverts for newer designed US cars that say 'new european styling'
Old May 2nd 2005, 6:46 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I think that depends on state and maybe occupation??
See post 26 and the link within the post.

NC Penguin
Old May 2nd 2005, 6:49 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladylisa
I've recently noticed T.V adverts for newer designed US cars that say 'new european styling'
In American English, European is a positive (but meaningless) adjective when combined with any noun other than politics.
Old May 2nd 2005, 6:53 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
In American English, European is a positive (but meaningless) adjective when combined with any noun other than politics.
For example, at the weekend I read about topless sunbathing in some European country (it was named but I can't remember it) and this was referred to as "European"...

NC Penguin
Old May 2nd 2005, 7:11 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jjmb
Seems there are going to a whole of kids who will be denied a good life, just because of some people's outmoded outlook on life

http://www.news8austin.com/content/l...82&ArID=135687

seems have a good chance of becoming Texas law
I have less of a problem with laws that prevent gays from adopting than I do to the laws/guidelines that prohibit whites from adopting black children...on the grounds that they would be denied their ethnic/cultural heritage in a white home.
Old May 2nd 2005, 7:16 pm
Just Joined

grapefruit&milk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by elfman
The main technical area that I can immediately think of in which the US really does lead the world is in military technology. But I'm not saying that's a good thing:

(a) all that power and technology in the hands of fundamentalist ideologue wingnuts is very scary indeed, and (b) if they diverted even a fraction of the cash they spend on stealth bombers and lunatic missile defence projects etc into other areas than maybe the population as a whole would see a lot more benefit from technological advances and enjoy a higher standard of living overall.
Yawn... America has a very high standard of living--otherwise British expats wouldn't come here, talk about how high their standard of living is, then complain about how backward the technology is.

I'm not crazy about mega-defense spending but to say our cars are backward is ludicrous. Love or hate SUVs, they're a trend that starded in the US and is catching up slowly elsewhere--despite higher gas prices in other European countries. And high-speed rail is ideal for mass-transit, but mass-transit still doesn't offer the flexibility and diversity of options seen in cars. You go from point A to point B in trains--which is why automobiles nearly bankrupted railway back in the 1940s and 1950s--and is primarily why it will never work large-scale in the US. And perhaps it's just a few isolated instances, but every time I've been on high-speed rail in Europe I've liked the service but it's been 80% empty. Or is Sunday evening not a peak time?

You can complain about banks and checking here but Americans might find lack of drive-thru banking in European banks a little behind. Each country/culture has its own preferences. I use checks rarely because debit cards are universally available here, but some people still like to write them for certain transactions--thus they remain.

Arguing about TV is futile. We have 2,000 stations, even if 80% are junk, there are a phenomenal array of options--and options in service providers.

Arguing about houses....saying American houses are cookie-cutter (which by all means many are) and using that to elevate European housing just devolves into how superior Europeans are to Americans anyway: the culture, the history, etc. Which ends in "Yawn..." yet again.

Many Americans prefer crap: in TV programs, housing, cars, vacation destinations, etc. But one person's crap is another's treasure. So rather than argue that there are objectively superior and inferior taste options, isn't it more important simply to have a diversity of options for all taste cultures to choose? I'll probably get flamed for this as well, but I'm just trying to broaden the argument so that absolutely nothing is dismissed prematurely...
Old May 2nd 2005, 7:26 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by grapefruit&milk
Yawn... America has a very high standard of living--otherwise British expats wouldn't come here, talk about how high their standard of living is, then complain about how backward the technology is.
It's an arrogant view to believe that all Expats came here because America is better.

That is certainly not true in my case and many others on this forum. I'm only here to be with my wife. We would move to the UK in a heart beat but she has children that live with their father.

This country is backwards. Maybe not in technology, but certainly mentally.

Funny, my US wife holds the same opinion.
Old May 2nd 2005, 7:34 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

I'm confused.
Reading through all your posts in this thread, I believe ignorance is at the root of your confusion.
Old May 2nd 2005, 7:35 pm
Just Joined

grapefruit&milk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rincewind
It's an arrogant view to believe that all Expats came here because America is better.

That is certainly not true in my case and many others on this forum. I'm only here to be with my wife. We would move to the UK in a heart beat but she has children that live with their father.

This country is backwards. Maybe not in technology, but certainly mentally.

Funny, my US wife holds the same opinion.
That probably was an arrogant speculation on my part, to which I apologize. Though it doesn't really deviate from the jaw-droppingly arrogant tenor of this thread. Thus I'm retreating from it after this post.

So sad that such a powerful country could be so backwards... Uttered by Europeans and liberal Americans most frequently, which is fine, because it definitely the case that the US is not headed in a left-leaning direction right now. But calling US "backwards" isn't something that would have ever been uttered in normal social circles prior to November 2000.

I often feel the same frustrations with the current direction this country (and much of the rest of the Western world too) is headed--but who am I to argue what's "forward" and "backwards". Again, no country, no culture, has a monopoly on this frame of mind. I don't like a lot of far-right social theories here in the US but I certainly don't think that "progress" is linear and solely the dominion of the left wing--whether it be the UN, the American coasts, or anything else.
Old May 2nd 2005, 7:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

I could not put up with a patriotic Yank! and my other half is U.S Navy, he lived in England for 8 years and now see's his country in a diffrent light, nothing to do with me I might add.
Old May 2nd 2005, 7:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Though it doesn't really deviate from the jaw-droppingly arrogant tenor of this thread.
From the man who said:

I go to Europe and am amazed at how old-fashioned the houses seem, as well as a lot of their systems of basic commerce and transactions in stores and shopping centers. But the public transit is and always will be superior to the US. Let's face it: in many regards, US is has a more advanced private realm, while Europe as a more advanced public realm. Such is the nature of the concentration of flow of money in the respective countries/cultures.

Thus I'm retreating from it after this post.
I would too if I were you.
Old May 2nd 2005, 8:05 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandpete
Two years ago we had a huge power failure here, which I think originated in Canada. The whole area affected must have been bigger than the UK but I don't ever remember anything like that happening in Europe. The houses across the street lost their power but we managed to escape it probably by 50 yards or so and we're in Central NJ. Plus I can't believe the electricity is still supplied on overhead cables and not underground.

Also the light switches here remind me of my Grandma's house in the 60's.
It's the damned screw-on metal hose connectors that really piss me off. You know, the ones that spray water back at you because you can never get them tight enough.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.