Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

We made it across the pond

We made it across the pond

Old Nov 18th 2009, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

sarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nice
Default We made it across the pond

Everything went smoothly on Monday
The dogs were fine, and so pleased to see us i think they forgot the fact they had been shut in crates for over 17 hours! The flight went smoothly and was on time, we had a bit of a delay the other end waiting for baggage and car rental, then we had to go to cargo get the paperwork, then off to customs to get the dogs released into the US, then back to cargo.
We landed at 215pm and were in our house by 5
Its weird it doesnt feel like we are on vacation, and it doesnt feel like we live here!! not sure when it will all sink in.
The weekend was full of goodbyes and lots of tears, and even then it didnt feel real.
Had our sofa and bed delivered yesterday, and comcast came and connected our cable/phone/internet.
Hubby started work yesterday, so ive been left to unpack our four suitcases and organise things, which has worked out well as i get to decide where everything goes
We hired a mini van as we had four cases the dogs and the dog crates, taking that back today and swapping it for a smaller car.
Did my first shop in safeway yesterday, and it was interesting to see a lot of familiar products under the US brand names. Also went to target to get lots of cool bits yesterday (including a kettle, so we can make a cup of tea)
Going to bake cookies today i think, then take a drive to the dog park.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 1:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: We made it across the pond

Yay! Welcome to this side of the pond! You are in SF right? I spent my honeymoon there and there was a Safeway near the hotel we stayed in. It was a very surreal experience for sure! Considering Safeway is not in the UK anymore!

Hope your move and settling in goes well. I only just remembered to get a kettle and toaster the other day and I have been here since Oct 30!

Glad you got over alright.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 2:16 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Nice to hear you got the two of you plus dogs all moved in, I think I boiled water in a pan for months before I finally got the kettle
Hve fun exploring and getting to know your area.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 2:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Good news Sarah! Sounds like you are getting things sorted and doing great Hope all continues to go well and you start to feel like you are 'really here' soon
Old Nov 18th 2009, 3:10 pm
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations.

Now please tell me you put your pyjamas on and went shopping at Walmart at least once.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 4:46 pm
Catahoula Lover!!!

Burn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sarahlou145
Its weird it doesnt feel like we are on vacation, and it doesnt feel like we live here!! .
I remember that feeling well, it took a while and getting all our stuff shipped over helped me feel lilke I was deifnately settled this side of the pond. Pleased the dogs made it ok, and hope the next part of your adventure is lots of fun!!!!!
Old Nov 18th 2009, 5:53 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

(including a kettle, so we can make a cup of tea)
excellent establish the British traditions as soon as possible.

Welcome to the USA
Old Nov 18th 2009, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

Patzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nice

Originally Posted by sime303
Congratulations.

Now please tell me you put your pyjamas on and went shopping at Walmart at least once.

Congratulations to you and good luck for the future, I really liked California when I lived there, probably should have stayed
Old Nov 18th 2009, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

UrsTX is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by sime303
LOL! Equivalent for a man = wear a sleevless shirt and tracksuit pants and trainers to do the grocery shopping.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 7:00 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Everything went smoothly on Monday ......
Did my first shop in safeway yesterday, and it was interesting to see a lot of familiar products under the US brand names. Also went to target to get lots of cool bits yesterday (including a kettle, so we can make a cup of tea)
Congrats - when you get the cravings and need to score some gear - this place will be useful http://www.yousaytomato.biz/
Old Nov 19th 2009, 9:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Yay Sarahlou!!

So glad that your journey over was uneventful and your dogs are none the worst after their long flight.

Keep us posted how you're settling in cause I've got all this ahead of me in February!!

Enjoy!
Old Nov 19th 2009, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

20masonroad will become famous soon enough

Welcome to America..........It's a great place, join in the fun and live...... Something that is tougher every day to do in the U.K!

Which part of California are you guys in?

Have a nice day!
Old Nov 19th 2009, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

Family_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of light

Welcome to the USA.

What made you pick the wrong coast?
Old Nov 19th 2009, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

sarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nice

Originally Posted by 20masonroad

Welcome to America..........It's a great place, join in the fun and live...... Something that is tougher every day to do in the U.K!

Which part of California are you guys in?

Have a nice day!
We are in Burlingame, about 15 miles south of San Francisco
Old Nov 19th 2009, 3:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

jackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud of

Everything went smoothly on Monday
The dogs were fine, and so pleased to see us i think they forgot the fact they had been shut in crates for over 17 hours! The flight went smoothly and was on time, we had a bit of a delay the other end waiting for baggage and car rental, then we had to go to cargo get the paperwork, then off to customs to get the dogs released into the US, then back to cargo.
We landed at 215pm and were in our house by 5
Its weird it doesnt feel like we are on vacation, and it doesnt feel like we live here!! not sure when it will all sink in.
The weekend was full of goodbyes and lots of tears, and even then it didnt feel real.
Had our sofa and bed delivered yesterday, and comcast came and connected our cable/phone/internet.
Hubby started work yesterday, so ive been left to unpack our four suitcases and organise things, which has worked out well as i get to decide where everything goes
We hired a mini van as we had four cases the dogs and the dog crates, taking that back today and swapping it for a smaller car.
Welcome neighbour.

It does seam surreal for the first few days and then you get into the swing of things. Glad to hear that you're getting sorted.

Turns out that I'm not starting a new job so our dogs can play and we can spend the bacon while husbands are hard at work! Ha.

Bet it's not this nice back in Blighty right now. Enjoy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.