British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   and we have to deal with FBAR and FATCA? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/we-have-deal-fbar-fatca-833406/)

theOAP May 10th 2014 1:52 pm

Re: and we have to deal with FBAR and FATCA?

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 11254792)
Prole? Careful, you'll be fomenting class warfare. Everyone's "middle class" over here, in the best of all possible worlds. :)

Plus they aspire to one day employing their own phalanx of tax attorneys.

Sorry, I wouldn't want to be accused of inciting class warfare. Allow me to rephrase: 'Do as we say, individual!'.

Senators Carl Levin and John McCain gave a recent comment about individuals. Allow me to paraphrase: 'There's no reason any individual should have an offshore bank account unless they intend to evade US income tax'. Millions of couch potato US voters agree with them. Therefore, it seems quite understandable, so what's the problem?

Damn, now I've called all those potential multi-billionaires couch potatoes.

robin1234 May 10th 2014 1:57 pm

I'm evading US income tax with one of my offshore accounts. I cunningly have an account that no longer pays any interest!

theOAP May 10th 2014 2:31 pm

Well that certainly proves the good Senators' point. Anyone sneaky enough to have an offshore account that pays no interest is not only unpatriotic, but unAmerican to boot. What is the country coming to? It's a good thing the US remains one of the largest tax havens in the world, otherwise people like you would give it a bad name.

Steve_ May 12th 2014 8:00 pm

But hiding money and avoiding tax are not the same thing, necessarily.

I mean look at Romney's tax return, a lot of his money is off-shore in blind trusts to avoid US taxes. Principle is the same as what these corporations are doing - but at least the corporations have to establish an office that is actually trading in the country where they've moved the money to. Private individual doesn't have to do that.

jmood May 12th 2014 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 11254896)
I'm evading US income tax with one of my offshore accounts. I cunningly have an account that no longer pays any interest!

What does that do? I thought the key criteria was the grand sum (>$10K) rather than how much interest is generated.

robin1234 May 12th 2014 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by jmood (Post 11257872)
What does that do? I thought the key criteria was the grand sum (>$10K) rather than how much interest is generated.

Well, I was just making a weak joke. But you're right, I include that account in my FBAR filing and my form 8938. But obviously, no interest income, so I don't pay any tax. Even IRS can't squeeze blood out of a stone!

MMcD May 13th 2014 7:01 am

Originally Posted by theOAP (Post 11254885)
Damn, now I've called all those potential multi-billionaires couch potatoes.

Couch potatoes?
That's entirely too sniff, ahem....common:

They're sofa potatoes

theOAP May 13th 2014 9:43 am

Originally Posted by MMcD (Post 11258235)
They're sofa potatoes

At least I didn't call them 'settee potatoes' relaxing in their 'lounge'. :)

robin1234 May 13th 2014 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by theOAP (Post 11258402)
At least I didn't call them 'settee potatoes' relaxing in their 'lounge'. :)

OMG
You are channelling my late mother!

Owen778 May 14th 2014 3:20 pm

Hambonejunior, please post a new thread with your question. Questions, especially about tax issues, are always better posted on the open forum.