Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

We had a baby!

We had a baby!

Old Oct 15th 2010, 2:23 am
Forum Regular

Wilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud of
Default We had a baby!

Quick overview.

Moved to Florida July of 2009 (husband is a UKC, wife is USC, on 2 year GC)

June 2010 decided to move back to the UK to have our baby.

August 2010 decided meh we will give it some more time and stay in US for time being!

So here we are and the baby is a week old and totally adorable.

I'm just trying to figure out how I can get her UK citizenship.

I have her US birth certificate already.

Do I need to simply send an mn1 form to the embassy in Washington DC along with the appropriate payment, wait for "confirmation" and then send off for her passport.

British website is worse than the USCIS website!

Thanks for all your help (again!)
Old Oct 15th 2010, 2:31 am
Forum Regular

Wilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud of
Default Re: We had a baby!

Originally Posted by Wilto
Quick overview.

Moved to Florida July of 2009 (husband is a UKC, wife is USC, on 2 year GC)

June 2010 decided to move back to the UK to have our baby.

August 2010 decided meh we will give it some more time and stay in US for time being!

So here we are and the baby is a week old and totally adorable.

I'm just trying to figure out how I can get her UK citizenship.

I have her US birth certificate already.

Do I need to simply send an mn1 form to the embassy in Washington DC along with the appropriate payment, wait for "confirmation" and then send off for her passport.

British website is worse than the USCIS website!

Thanks for all your help (again!)
To answer my own question.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/br...en/bornabroad/

Originally Posted by link above
This page explains how a child born and living outside the United Kingdom whose parent is a British citizen by descent can meet the requirements to be registered as a British citizen.

A child will have an entitlement to be registered under section 3(2) of the British Nationality Act 1981 if:

* they were born outside the United Kingdom; or
* they were born after 21 May 2002 outside any of the British overseas territories; and
* they were born to parents, one or both of whom are British citizens by descent; and
* the parent who is British by descent was born to a parent (the child's grandparent) who was a British citizen otherwise than by descent (or would have been but for their death); and
* the parent who is British by descent lived in the United Kingdom at any time before the child's birth for a continuous period of three years*; and
* during the period they were living in the United Kingdom the parent was not absent for more than 270 days; and
* the application is made before the child's 18th birthday.

* The requirement for the parent to have lived in the United Kingdom for a three year period does not apply if the child was born stateless.

A child registered as a British citizen under this section will become a British citizen by descent. They will be unable to pass British citizenship on automatically to any of their children born outside the United Kingdom.

A child registered under section 3(5) of the British Nationality Act 1981 will become a British citizen otherwise than by descent and will be able to pass British citizenship on automatically to any of their children born outside the United Kingdom. If there is a possibility the child may return to live in the United Kingdom before they reach the age of 15, you should consider whether it would be in their best interests to apply under section 3(5) at a later date.
but it doesn't say what I have to do!
Old Oct 15th 2010, 3:00 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Is the UKC parent a citizen by descent? Thats the page you show. We are by UKC parents by birth so no idea what you would do. Our kiddos were UKC by descent right away

Congratulations on the baby, show the pictures then!
Old Oct 15th 2010, 3:04 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Is the UKC parent a citizen by descent? Thats the page you show. We are by UKC parents by birth so no idea what you would do. Our kiddos were UKC by descent right away

Congratulations on the baby, show the pictures then!
I'm not sure how to differentiate but put it this way, the last 5 generations of my family born and bred British, I was born in the UK and lived there for first 21 years of my life and then moved to the USA.

So I guess I'm British by birth, so is my child automatically British by descent?

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/br.../bornoverseas/

Originally Posted by above link

If you were born outside the United Kingdom on or after 1 January 1983

This section also applies to you if you were born outside a qualifying territory on or after 21 May 2002 and had a parent who was a British citizen.

Whether or not you are a British citizen depends on the type of citizenship your parents had. This may be British citizenship by descent or otherwise than by descent.

British citizenship may descend to one generation born abroad. So if you were born outside the United Kingdom or qualifying territory and one of your parents was a British citizen otherwise than by descent, you are a British citizen by descent. If you were born before 1 July 2006 you may not qualify if your parents were not married at the time of your birth.

However, you are a British citizen otherwise than by descent if at the time of your birth one of your parents was a British citizen in Crown service, designated service, or service of a European Community institution and he/she was recruited to that service:

* in the United Kingdom;
* in the United Kingdom or a qualifying territory (if you were born on or after 21 May 2002); or
* in the European Community (for service with a European Community institution).

If you were born outside the United Kingdom or qualifying territory and your parents were British citizens by descent, you are not a British citizen. However, you may be able to apply to register as a British citizen (see registration of a child).
So she is automatic citizen via descent? Does that mean I can skip the expensive part of filling out the mn1 form and go straight to passport using the C2 form?

Last edited by Wilto; Oct 15th 2010 at 3:28 am.
Old Oct 15th 2010, 3:31 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure how to differentiate but put it this way, the last 5 generations of my family born and bred British, I was born in the UK and lived there for first 21 years of my life and then moved to the USA.

So I guess I'm British by birth, so is my child automatically British by descent?

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/br.../bornoverseas/

So she is automatic citizen via descent? Does that mean I can skip the expensive part of filling out the mn1 form and go straight to passport?
Yes you can just register the birth with the British consulate in Washington DC, that gives a certificate that looks like a birth certificate and get a UK passport for her. Here
http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/

So Pictures?
Old Oct 15th 2010, 3:45 am
Forum Regular

I'm on my iPhone right now but will post a photo tomorrow.

Is registering a birth necessary with consular? I was reading on the British fro site that it won't replace the official local certificate etc

But does registering the birth just make things "easier"

I'm Welsh, from Cardiff and will be teaching Isabella Gwen the Welsh language for sure!

You speak it?
Old Oct 15th 2010, 4:26 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

We registered ours with the British Consulate just so that we (they) had a peg in the ground proving their entitlement that does not expire. We got our eldest a UK passport and a US passport, but when the UK one expired when he was 5, we didn't bother renewing, and the younger 2 have only ever had US passports. But they all have the certificate confirming their right to UK citizenship should they ever want to apply for a British Passport in the future, without going through the rigmarole of proving my citizenship hence their entitlement etc etc.
Old Oct 15th 2010, 4:30 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

PS - err - congrats on the baby!! Get some sleep when you can!!!
Old Oct 15th 2010, 4:31 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

I'm on my iPhone right now but will post a photo tomorrow.

Is registering a birth necessary with consular? I was reading on the British fro site that it won't replace the official local certificate etc

But does registering the birth just make things "easier"

I'm Welsh, from Cardiff and will be teaching Isabella Gwen the Welsh language for sure!

You speak it?
We did the registration for the boys, so they can use it to renew UK passports when they are older if they let them expire of lose them.
Very little Welsh here sorry, we did when we were young and at school, but moving away we have lost it all pretty much.
Older Ds went to a small Welsh language village school for reception class and I was amazed at how fast they can learn it. Now he's back in Wales working and doesn't remember a word of it.
The other kids have never lived there, so no Welsh at all for them.
Old Oct 15th 2010, 8:58 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

It's not necessary, but it is very handy to have.

Mostly for the future, in case they lose their passport and you're dead, it's going to be very easy to have proof of UK citizenship if they've been registered and a bit of a massive ball ache if they've not.
Old Oct 15th 2010, 11:29 pm
Forum Regular

She is adorable, best thing that has ever happened to me!

Ok so the consenus is just to register her at the consular and then go ahead and get the passport.....

I need my full birth certificate and I sent the only copy I had to USCIS in London prior to being allowed to come to the USA.

If I contact USCIS could they send me my full birth certificate back to me or is that impossible, thus meaning I need it to be sent to my parents house in the UK and then they send it to me?

Last edited by Wilto; Oct 15th 2010 at 11:33 pm.
Old Oct 16th 2010, 12:14 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

If I contact USCIS could they send me my full birth certificate back to me or is that impossible, thus meaning I need it to be sent to my parents house in the UK and then they send it to me?
You could try, but would probably be simpler to order a new copy of your birth certificate from the relevant registry.
Old Oct 16th 2010, 1:39 am
Forum Regular

bruceba has a spectacular aura aboutbruceba has a spectacular aura aboutbruceba has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by JAJ
You could try, but would probably be simpler to order a new copy of your birth certificate from the relevant registry.
www.gro.gov.uk/ Takes about a week.
Old Oct 16th 2010, 1:45 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Awww she's adorable, whats her name?
I love the laughing picture
Old Oct 16th 2010, 1:58 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Awww she's adorable, whats her name?
I love the laughing picture
Her name is Isabella.

Well my parents come to the uk on Oct 22nd so I suppose best course of action is to pay that money and bring it with them.