Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Ways to get British TV (BBC America is a missed opportunity)

Ways to get British TV (BBC America is a missed opportunity)

Old Mar 8th 2006, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

paul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of lightpaul_TX is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Ways to get British TV (BBC America is a missed opportunity)

Originally Posted by Big D
This is the one we use - excellent site and well worth a few bux here and there!
Weren't they shutdown by the BEEB last year? Wonder how they're getting around this now?
Old Mar 8th 2006, 5:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paul_TX
Weren't they shutdown by the BEEB last year? Wonder how they're getting around this now?

They were indeed - he keeps changing the address and mailing it to members - there is also allegedley a loophole as long as you dont use the service in the UK or area where it is available on TV (which up to date episodes aren't!!)
Old Mar 8th 2006, 5:39 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chopper-Chris
I find it amazing that you want to get Eastenders
it's good background noise to have on the spare monitor
Old Mar 8th 2006, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

teresa1003 is a name known to allteresa1003 is a name known to allteresa1003 is a name known to allteresa1003 is a name known to allteresa1003 is a name known to allteresa1003 is a name known to allteresa1003 is a name known to allteresa1003 is a name known to allteresa1003 is a name known to allteresa1003 is a name known to allteresa1003 is a name known to all
Wink Re: Ways to get British TV (BBC America is a missed opportunity)

Originally Posted by Russ&Jayne
http://www.eeww.org/energia/mainsite

This site will give you the latest eastenders and a lot of archive stuff if you're really sad. They also have a good range of comedy and stuff. Much less hassle than Nova. Don't forget to donate to help out. He only expects around $5 a month of you download regularly.
I use this site its great, no hassle with the downloads, just need realplayer which is free.
Old Mar 8th 2006, 5:42 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

They were indeed - he keeps changing the address and mailing it to members - there is also allegedley a loophole as long as you dont use the service in the UK or area where it is available on TV (which up to date episodes aren't!!)
It's still against the law, but then so is most of what is plonked on nova...I think they just tend to turn a blind eye when things aren't out for sale on dvd's or regulary broadcast....but the site is just as much hassle as nova or any other torrent site, and if the format is anything like it was before, those real player quality was a bit poo for anything larger than a tiny corner of a monitor.
Old Mar 8th 2006, 5:43 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by teresa1003
I use this site its great, no hassle with the downloads, just need realplayer which is free.
I'd ditch real player for the alternate version on the hippo, much quicker and less bloat, tiny footprint too. www.filehippo.com
Old Mar 8th 2006, 5:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
It's still against the law, but then so is most of what is plonked on nova...I think they just tend to turn a blind eye when things aren't out for sale on dvd's or regulary broadcast....but the site is just as much hassle as nova or any other torrent site, and if the format is anything like it was before, those real player quality was a bit poo for anything larger than a tiny corner of a monitor.

that why i said 'allegedly'! Its as bent as a two bob note!! Which is why he keeps moving! I found it much less hassle than the torrent sites - which seem to take ages to download and dont always agree with my PC - agree with you about the quality though!
Old Mar 8th 2006, 5:53 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

..... which is what I was referring to when I said that these sites are transient. Kinda like the illegal radio stations that broadcast from boats just offshore.
Old Mar 8th 2006, 5:55 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe BBC need to have BeebFlix, like NetFlix, where you can rent TV series as they come out on DVD.
Old Mar 8th 2006, 5:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by snowbunny
..... which is what I was referring to when I said that these sites are transient. Kinda like the illegal radio stations that broadcast from boats just offshore.
You said no such thing!!! Must have been a different thread....
Old Mar 8th 2006, 5:57 pm
Lapine Member

You said no such thing!!! Must have been a different thread....
Yep, on the "BBC Internet is planning to charge....." thread.
Old Mar 8th 2006, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

teresa1003 is a name known to allteresa1003 is a name known to allteresa1003 is a name known to allteresa1003 is a name known to allteresa1003 is a name known to allteresa1003 is a name known to allteresa1003 is a name known to allteresa1003 is a name known to allteresa1003 is a name known to allteresa1003 is a name known to allteresa1003 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bob
I'd ditch real player for the alternate version on the hippo, much quicker and less bloat, tiny footprint too. www.filehippo.com
Thanks I will give this a try.
Old Mar 8th 2006, 6:37 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

...I found it much less hassle than the torrent sites - which seem to take ages to download and dont always agree with my PC - agree with you about the quality though!
I did use the site back before it god shutdown, but since, I couldn't be arsed with it, especially for the quality...but i'd only watch it on the puter anyway, so the format wasn't an issue for me...and speeds, well i get quicker d/loads off of nova, around 300-500kb/s for popular stuff, mare to keep ratio's going, but that's what the dramas' are for

Oh, and if anyone likes aussie shows like neighbours and home and away, direct downloads can be found here- http://nei.gfunk.org/ but it's current, so it's a bit ahead of the game in the UK, but then again, I haven't seen either in years *lol*
Old Mar 8th 2006, 6:51 pm
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SimpleBlood
With the increasing British Ex-pat population living in America, it amazes me that the BBC doesn't make more of it's BBC America service. Tired old re-runs of Monty Python and Benny Hill seem to fill 40% of the schedule, and the rest is disposable drama like Monarch of the Glen and My Hero.

With BBC owning the channel, and all of their programming back catalog...where is the East Enders, the Red Dwarf, Royle Family, Fools & Horses, etc. If they can show such recent shows as The Office and Little Britain, why not classics like Bottom or One Foot in the Grave?

I'm really interested in watching Eastenders. It became a staple part of my life after 40years of living in Blighty, and as sad as it may be, I do miss it. I find it very hard to believe that in the technological wizardry we have in 2006, that there is no way for me to watch it, other than the rather medieval process of getting a friend back home to tape each episode and mail the tapes over (while I save for a European compatible VCR!!)

I mean, surely there is an easier way to keep up with the shows from home?? We can put a man on the moon and create a cell phone that shows videos of dancing naked frogs...yet I can't Eastenders in the US?!
Bearing in mind that I have only read one page of this thread so excuse me if someone has already said this but the reason that BBC America does not show Eastenders anymore is because the BBC were charging way too much for the rights to show it. Apparently they didn't think that it was worth paying that much for it so it was dropped despite the uproar that it created over here (with Brits and Americans apparently!)
Old Mar 9th 2006, 12:40 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by blaze
Bearing in mind that I have only read one page of this thread so excuse me if someone has already said this but the reason that BBC America does not show Eastenders anymore is because the BBC were charging way too much for the rights to show it. Apparently they didn't think that it was worth paying that much for it so it was dropped despite the uproar that it created over here (with Brits and Americans apparently!)
The BBC America said at the time it was due to poor ratings.

Who knows?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.