British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Water heater replacement (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/water-heater-replacement-944550/)

PetrifiedExPat Jun 28th 2022 1:06 pm

Water heater replacement

Hi all,

Did not want to hijack another thread entirely. First quote:

80 gallon unit, 8 year warranty plus 10 feet of exhaust pipe to get to code, quoted at $4500, inclusive of labor, equipment and warranty.

My question is, is this reasonable??

I was expecting ~3000

Pulaski Jun 28th 2022 1:57 pm

Re: Water heater replacement

Originally Posted by PetrifiedExPat (Post 13125332)
Hi all,

80 gallon unit, 8 year warranty plus 10 feet of exhaust pipe to get to code, quoted at $4500, inclusive of labor, equipment and warranty.

I was expecting ~3000

$3k would be reasonable in NC, and that is, precisely, what I paid last summer in NC for all inclusive installation of a 50gal HE gas water heater with a new flue installed through the wall. I suspect that $4.5k may be the "market rate" in Boston, MA for an 80gal water heater. .... Are you replacing an 80gal heater? Unless your home has 5+ bedrooms, I would say that 50gal would be the usual choice - modern water heaters have a fairly high recovery rate, so in many respects the number of bathrooms (the peak demand in a short time frame) is more relevant than the number of bedrooms or people living in a home.

tht Jun 28th 2022 2:22 pm

Hi all,

I was expecting ~3000

I did an electric one a year ago, brought a 50 Gallon Rheem Smart Water Heater for about $634 + Tax. Pickup from HD, and install including plumbing and taking away old one was $700. This is a pretty simple task, I could probably do it myself with another strong person if I had it delivered.

Now if your talking about gas it gets way more expensive, my boiler and water heater replacement was $12k+ back in 2015 in Lower FFC CT, so likely more now. How much is the unit, is it more or less than 50% of the quote?

Pulaski Jun 28th 2022 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by tht (Post 13125354)
.... Now if your talking about gas it gets way more expensive, ....

He is talking about gas, unless you can think of a reason why an electric water heater would require (per post #1) "... 10 feet of exhaust pipe to get to code". :unsure:

PetrifiedExPat Jun 28th 2022 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 13125383)
He is talking about gas, unless you can think of a reason why an electric water heater would require (per post #1) "... 10 feet of exhaust pipe to get to code". :unsure:

Yes, correct! Gas!

rbackhouse Jun 28th 2022 6:05 pm

I paid $1500 for a 40 Gallon tank in 2015. The tank is in my garage though so that reduces the labor cost somewhat. Here is NC we have quite alot of houses that have their tank in the attic and that pushes labor cost up quite a bit.

tht Jun 28th 2022 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 13125383)

maybe on a electric heat pump water heater, not sure either way unless the OP gives details of what he is quoted on no one can really compact to costs paid.

I wanted to go with one of these but they are take than the space I have in the existing space :

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rheem-Pe...45U0/312742081

PetrifiedExPat Jun 28th 2022 7:13 pm

Limited info on the quote (getting a second one also). Gas water heater, 78 gallons, 8 year warranty and ten feet of exhaust pipe to get to code. That is it (inc labor).

SpoogleDrummer Jun 28th 2022 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by PetrifiedExPat (Post 13125409)
Limited info on the quote (getting a second one also). Gas water heater, 78 gallons, 8 year warranty and ten feet of exhaust pipe to get to code. That is it (inc labor).

Do they mention the brand and model of the water heater? With some of them the warranty isn't worth the paper it's written on. Not to mention they vary wildly in price.

tht Jun 28th 2022 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by PetrifiedExPat (Post 13125409)

my guy always gives me 2 or 3 different options and all the model numbers so I can research and when applicable rebates that apply.

Pulaski Jun 28th 2022 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer (Post 13125428)
Do they mention the brand and model of the water heater? With some of them the warranty isn't worth the paper it's written on. Not to mention they vary wildly in price.

If you buy a reputable brand you'd have to be very unlucky for a basic water heater to not last at least 3-4 times the standard 6 year warranty* on most water heaters. There are few or no moving parts in a water heate, and other than the thermocouple on a gas heater there isn't much that could go wrong with them. .... Eventually they rust through somewhere and start leaking.

* A warranty is just a bet by the manufacturer that their product will last that long, and they're unlikely to offer to make that bet if they don't expect to win it. Even without replacing the anode rod, round here (NC) water heaters seem to typically last around 25 years. On the broader issue of domestic appliances, I have only ever had one, a washing machine, fail within the five year extended warranty period, which confirms my strategy of never buying an extended warranty on a domestic appliance . Even after unexpectedly having to buy another washing machine, I believe I am still "up" by somewhere around $4k-$5k by not buying extended warranties. :thumbsup:

Mallory Jun 28th 2022 11:05 pm

Hi all,

I was expecting ~3000

Why 80 gallons? Just curious.

ddsrph Jun 29th 2022 1:07 am

Hi all,

I was expecting ~3000

How many bathrooms and people living in house. 80 gallons is Huge.

Mic1 Jun 29th 2022 7:20 pm

Stored water heater as opposed to tankless??

PetrifiedExPat Jun 29th 2022 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by Mic1 (Post 13125714)

Stored, 2nd quote coming on Friday, have a better feel about them, more upfront about costs. Will update then as well!

Our zip code doesnt help either

tht Jun 29th 2022 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by Mic1 (Post 13125714)

an 80 gallon tankless…. 🥺

PetrifiedExPat Jun 29th 2022 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by tht (Post 13125719)

I havnt googled it yet ;)

Also, I suspect I will raise getting a smaller tank on Friday!

tht Jun 29th 2022 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by PetrifiedExPat (Post 13125722)
I havnt googled it yet ;)

Also, I suspect I will raise getting a smaller tank on Friday!

I would definitely ask about the exact model, may they have marked it up a lot and don’t want you to be able to to google it… or maybe they are trying to install something they have in stock they want to get rid of. 80 gallon would be what I would expect if it was a townhouse with 1 or 2 smaller income properties in the basement etc and it was to service all 2/3 units not a normal size family property with 2-2.5 baths.

PetrifiedExPat Jun 29th 2022 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by tht (Post 13125728)
I would definitely ask about the exact model, may they have marked it up a lot and don’t want you to be able to to google it… or maybe they are trying to install something they have in stock they want to get rid of. 80 gallon would be what I would expect if it was a townhouse with 1 or 2 smaller income properties in the basement etc and it was to service all 2/3 units not a normal size family property with 2-2.5 baths.

Agreed, Friday involves a second company so I can maneuver into a better negotiating position. Will go from there.

Pulaski Jun 29th 2022 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by tht (Post 13125728)
... or maybe they are trying to install something they have in stock they want to get rid of. .

I am pretty sure that is how the plumbing supply business works - they buy inventory, then then they try to sell it to customers ASAP. :nod: Holding stock and not trying to get rid of it is unlikely to be a successful business model in the long term. :unsure:

ddsrph Jun 29th 2022 8:51 pm

The best way to compare prices is to learn what a water heater should cost. I would go with a 50 to 60 gallon and check with a couple plumbing supply places for model info and prices. Most are made by AO Smith and names stuck on for various companies.

Pulaski Jun 29th 2022 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by ddsrph (Post 13125756)
.... and check with a couple plumbing supply places for model info and prices.

Google is your friend. :)

Mic1 Jun 29th 2022 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by tht (Post 13125719)

No, I'm surprised that no one has mentioned a tankless water heater, Far more efficient,

Pulaski Jun 29th 2022 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by Mic1 (Post 13125763)
No, I'm surprised that no one has mentioned a tankless water heater, Far more efficient,

Loathsome creations. .... They are perhaps a little more efficient, but they create their own issues, running very hot, and then cold. They seemed to be super-fashionable around 10 years ago, but barely got a mention when I was shopping for a new water heater last year.

tht Jun 29th 2022 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by Mic1 (Post 13125763)

I evaluated that option when I converted from oil to gas for heat and hot water. Between price, rebates and energy efficiency, demand pattern and the space available for install, I did not go that way.

Not sure that I would say “far more efficient” I think it was a TriangleTube I looked at has a thermal efficiency of 95% vs the combined GV90+ boiler for heat and hot water at 91%, and there was some more efficiency have 1 vs 2 separate boilers… the oil boiler it replaced was more than 35 years old and still going strong, but the incentives to go to gas made it a no brainer have everything new. Once we get solar on this house will look at a heat pump electric water heater.

ddsrph Jun 29th 2022 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 13125766)
Loathsome creations. .... They are perhaps a little more efficient, but they create their own issues, running very hot, and then cold. They seemed to be super-fashionable around 10 years ago, but barely got a mention when I was shopping for a new water heater last year.

Plus you need a lot of power to run which means hard to retrofit due to number of slots needed in service panel. I believe they require two 220 volt circuits which is 4 spaces. Lowe’s has a lot of AO Smith gas water heaters on their site. Most are 40 or 50 gallon and around $800. Gas tankless of course would be easier and may be more reasonable as a choice as they may work better than electric

Mic1 Jun 29th 2022 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 13125766)

Actually not loathsome creations as long as you chose a reputable brand but more importantly, you pull in a plumber who knows what he's doing and matches a heater to your incoming gas and water supply. As long as they are set up properly, the flame will modulate down and prevent the water going cold mid flow. If it does, 99% of the time, high/low gas rates have not been set up.

tht Jun 29th 2022 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by ddsrph (Post 13125774)
Plus you need a lot of power to run which means hard to retrofit due to number of slots needed in service panel. I believe they require two 220 volt circuits which is 4 spaces. Lowe’s has a lot of AO Smith gas water heaters on their site. Most are 40 or 50 gallon and around $800. Gas tankless of course would be easier and may be more reasonable as a choice as they may work better than electric

This is exactly why I did not do one at another property, this is a second home so it would have made a lot of sense, but the place where it would have been installed was on an old 100amp panel, it was the original main and converted to a sub panel when 200amp service was put in and no easy way to run a new circuit.

Pulaski Jun 29th 2022 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by Mic1 (Post 13125777)
Actually not loathsome creations as long as you chose a reputable brand but more importantly, you pull in a plumber who knows what he's doing and matches a heater to your incoming gas and water supply. As long as they are set up properly, the flame will modulate down and prevent the water going cold mid flow. If it does, 99% of the time, high/low gas rates have not been set up.

Or you could just put in an HE water tank, no careful set up and flow adjustment required. :lol:

I was thinking, after I made my previous post above, that during the summer months, basically April to October for us, the only gas we use is to heat water, and our gas bill is about $25-$30, of which about $10 is the standing charge, so hotwater costs us about $20/mth. How much more efficient does a tankless heater have to be to make it noticeably more efficient in $$$s?

Personally I value being able to turn on the tap and have a steady flow of hot water at a predictable temperature, and I think that $20/mth is a reasonable price to pay for that comfort and certainty. So, even if a tankless heater provided FREE hot water, I'd still choose a traditional water heater with a tank. :nod:

scrubbedexpat142 Jun 29th 2022 11:14 pm

80 gallons! Wow! OK, only 2 of us and just one bathroom but ours is just 80 Litres - and is quite adequate! How heavy is an 80 gallon tank / heater? (I could Google it but Mr P will give me a much better answer!).

Pulaski Jun 29th 2022 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by Expatrick (Post 13125806)
80 gallons! Wow! OK, only 2 of us and just one bathroom but ours is just 80 Litres - and is quite adequate! How heavy is an 80 gallon tank / heater? (I could Google it but Mr P will give me a much better answer!).

:p

Well off the top of my head, for an 80gal water heater there would be about 665lb of water, and probably about 100lb for the tank, for a total of about just about 350 Kommigrams. :)

ETA. Apparently an 80gal water heater from AO Smith weighs 175lb, so that would make a total of 840lb or 385 Kommigrams.

scrubbedexpat142 Jun 29th 2022 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 13125811)
:p

Well off the top of my head, for an 80gal water heater there would be about 665lb of water, and probably about 100lb for the tank, for a total of about just about 350 Kommigrams. :)

ETA. Apparently an 80gal water heater from AO Smith weighs 175lb, so that would make a total of 840lb or 385 Kommigrams.

350 kommigrams, wow, that's about 200 freedomgrams, scary!

ddsrph Jun 30th 2022 12:30 am

Originally Posted by Expatrick (Post 13125806)

I installed only a 30 gallon in the house I built 5 years ago. Electric tank type and plenty for two people. Does posters have an expansion tank in their hot water heaters? I put one on mine as I discovered their existence doing research on plumbing when doing my house. The theory is during the heating of the water it expands and with almost all water systems there is a back flow preventer valve at the meter and the this pressure has no where to go. Can lead to premature tank failure especially if the anode is not looked after. Here is my expansion tank as I installed.
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...103b3d8fa8.jpg

sid nv Jun 30th 2022 6:22 am

Originally Posted by ddsrph (Post 13125833)
I installed only a 30 gallon in the house I built 5 years ago. Electric tank type and plenty for two people. Does posters have an expansion tank in their hot water heaters? I put one on mine as I discovered their existence doing research on plumbing when doing my house. The theory is during the heating of the water it expands and with almost all water systems there is a back flow preventer valve at the meter and the this pressure has no where to go. Can lead to premature tank failure especially if the anode is not looked after. Here is my expansion tank as I installed.

Installation looks fine to me, but does it have the cat's approval?

ddsrph Jun 30th 2022 8:55 am

Originally Posted by sid nv (Post 13125860)
Installation looks fine to me, but does it have the cat's approval?

My wife has three cats in the house and feeds several strays on the porch.

Mic1 Jun 30th 2022 10:50 am

Originally Posted by ddsrph (Post 13125833)
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...103b3d8fa8.jpg

Temperature/pressure relief valve discharge should terminate outside or into a sealed internal drain. If that TPRV blows, it could vent almost boiling water at 10 bar......be too much for that drip tray to handle. Be careful.

ddsrph Jun 30th 2022 11:02 am

Originally Posted by Mic1 (Post 13125918)
Temperature/pressure relief valve discharge should terminate outside or into a sealed internal drain. If that TPRV blows, it could vent almost boiling water at 10 bar......be too much for that drip tray to handle. Be careful.

That’s a good point. I could probably run a hose to the drip tray drain line with a one way valve to prevent the flow from going into tray. I will look into that.

Pulaski Jun 30th 2022 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by ddsrph (Post 13125922)
That’s a good point. I could probably run a hose to the drip tray drain line with a one way valve to prevent the flow from going into tray. I will look into that.

You should look into what the TN code allows. In NC the pipe from the relief valve cannot, for some reason be pex (my guess is that pex is usually slightly curved so can't be positioned to reliably drain into the pan), it has to be either copper or PVC, so I suspect that a flexible hose might not be acceptable.

It is usual in my experience to just have the pipe from the relief run down to the drip tray, as a working relief valve should never do more than dribble a bit. The whole purpose of the valve is to stop pressure build up, not allow it to build up to a dangerous degree, then let go dramatically! If the valve "fails" by seizing and not allowing excess pressure to be released then all bets are off and where the water would have drained if the valve had worked properly will be the least of your problems, but if you watched Mythbusters you already know that. :blink:
Just a couple of weeks before the original Mythbusters water heater episode aired (I think there were at least three of them), a house a few miles away from Pulaski Manor had a water heater failure. The water heater left the home through the roof, and was found a couple of hundred feet away! :scaredhair:

So the main takeaway from this discussion is to test the valve regularly - I think the usual recommendation is every six months.

ddsrph Jun 30th 2022 2:39 pm

I had some time this morning and have bought the items needed to run a pipe down to the drip pan drain. I remember now that at my other house I did similar. My drip pan is connected not to the house drain but to a 3 inch pvc pipe that runs to attic for a radon pump. Below this three inch pipe connects to a inside foundation complete perimeter French drain that is under the slab gravel backfill that varies from 2 to 5 feet of gravel.

SpoogleDrummer Jun 30th 2022 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 13125971)
It is usual in my experience to just have the pipe from the relief run down to the drip tray, as a working relief valve should never do more than dribble a bit.

Not with mine, there are all water sensors at the bottom of my heater that shut the heater and water off in the event it detects water so I have to have the pipe go directly to the drainage pipe for the washing machine or at least that's the plan once I get around to getting the bits I need. It's a PITA drying it out once it detects water but still better than having to dry out 2 rooms that got flooded when the first heater I replaced pissed water everywhere.