British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   War ter (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/war-ter-802530/)

lizzyq Jul 19th 2013 11:16 am

Re: War ter

Originally Posted by Steve_ (Post 10807482)
And as bad as that is, the mutilation of French place names, e.g. New Orleans, Coeur D'Alene, Boise, etc. is even worse.

When I was in Lexington on business it took me ages to work out that what I heard on the traffic news as "Versells" was in fact Versailles.

Bob Jul 19th 2013 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_ (Post 10807486)
Do that in most of the SE of the US and they'll ask what kind of coke. That used to confuse the hell out of me. Up north people say "pop", out west people say "soda" and in most of the rest of the US it's "coke".

"What kind of coke do you want?"
"Oh I'll have a pepsi."

:confused:

I've not heard that about Coke. It's usually soda around here.

Bob Jul 19th 2013 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by lizzyq (Post 10808092)
When I was in Lexington on business it took me ages to work out that what I heard on the traffic news as "Versells" was in fact Versailles.

Up in Maine, Calais, pronounced Caliiiis. Took me a while to figure that one one too :)

Hiro11 Jul 19th 2013 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 10808727)
Up in Maine, Calais, pronounced Caliiiis. Took me a while to figure that one one too :)

To be fair the British are hardly accurate in their pronunciation many adopted French / Norman terms. "Filet", "valet" etc.

Anian Jul 19th 2013 6:23 pm

Des Moines seems to be pronounced differently in each one.

SultanOfSwing Jul 19th 2013 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by Hiro11 (Post 10808749)
To be fair the British are hardly accurate in their pronunciation many adopted French / Norman terms. "Filet", "valet" etc.

In fairness, we did add the extra 'l' in 'fillet', to cover the mispronounciation. I was never sure why 'valet' gets pronounced the way it does though.

There are inconsistencies on both sides of the pond though - Des Plaines vs Des Moines, for example.

Bob Jul 19th 2013 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by Hiro11 (Post 10808749)

Pretty good at the French....it's the Spanish we butcher big time :D

Pulaski Jul 19th 2013 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 10808755)
In fairness, we did add the extra 'l' in 'fillet', to cover the mispronounciation. I was never sure why 'valet' gets pronounced the way it does though.

There are inconsistencies on both sides of the pond though - Des Plaines vs Des Moines, for example.

Beaufort, NC v Beaufort, SC.

Byoo-fort v Bow-fort :rolleyes:

SultanOfSwing Jul 19th 2013 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 10808838)

That's a good one - I hadn't realised they did that.

Pulaski Jul 19th 2013 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 10808725)
I've not heard that about Coke. It's usually soda around here.

I've heard that about "coke" too, but it certainly doesn't seem to apply in my part of Dixie. "Soda" is by far the dominant generic for carbonated drinks; maybe that's because we have so many transplants.

steveq Jul 19th 2013 8:23 pm

Charley-roy pennsylvania

Yorkieabroad Jul 20th 2013 4:25 am

So what was that post a bit earlier about brits saying Nevada wrong....I can only think of one way to say it, and I think that's how Americans say it too.....:confused:

Pulaski Jul 20th 2013 5:05 am

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad (Post 10809367)
So what was that post a bit earlier about brits saying Nevada wrong....I can only think of one way to say it, and I think that's how Americans say it too.....:confused:

I was thinking the exact same thing. :confused:

Pegster Jul 21st 2013 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 10808838)

Erm, I'm from SC and I've never heard Beaufort pronounced 'bow-fort' - it's 'byuu-fert' as far as I am aware.

Pulaski Jul 21st 2013 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by Pegster (Post 10811814)
Erm, I'm from SC and I've never heard Beaufort pronounced 'bow-fort' - it's 'byuu-fert' as far as I am aware.

Ooops, maybe I got them the wrong way round? :o .... But I am fairly certain the NC and SC Beauforts are pronounced completely differently.