British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   War ter (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/war-ter-802530/)

scrubbedexpat027 Jul 10th 2013 10:08 pm

War ter

Uh oh. Having a debate on my work's internal IRC about the pronunciation of water. This is not going to end well - for me!!

Poppy girl Jul 10th 2013 10:13 pm

Re: War ter

Originally Posted by dek (Post 10793922)
Uh oh. Having a debate on my work's internal IRC about the pronunciation of water. This is not going to end well - for me!!

Don't you mean Wadder ;):lol:

Pulaski Jul 10th 2013 10:26 pm

You're talking about a dermatologist specializing in viral polyps, right? :confused:

scrubbedexpat027 Jul 10th 2013 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 10793950)
You're talking about a dermatologist specializing in viral polyps, right? :confused:

Sure.

Bob Jul 10th 2013 11:14 pm

It quickly becomes a "I'll have what she's having" line, that's if the other half got water first :D

scrubbedexpat097 Jul 11th 2013 1:42 am

Feel my pain then. I test drinking water for bacteria and everyday I have to say water, Water, WATER! It gets old after a while:o

Sheepdip Jul 11th 2013 1:05 pm

My daughter is continually asked to repeat that word at school, to the amusement of her teachers. It looks correct to me :)

SultanOfSwing Jul 11th 2013 1:47 pm

Do people actually have trouble understanding the word 'water' when pronounced in any of the regional variations of a UK accent (yes, even Welsh)?

I always thought that was an exaggerated thing but come on, you'd have to be thick as pigshit not to be able to recognise the word 'water' no matter how it is said. There is no other word it can be mistaken for. Even in the strongest West Country drawl, it is recognisable.

Maybe I'm saying it wrong :blink:

Lion in Winter Jul 11th 2013 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 10795133)
Do people actually have trouble understanding the word 'water' when pronounced in any of the regional variations of a UK accent (yes, even Welsh)?

I always thought that was an exaggerated thing but come on, you'd have to be thick as pigshit not to be able to recognise the word 'water' no matter how it is said. There is no other word it can be mistaken for. Even in the strongest West Country drawl, it is recognisable.

Yes, there really is trouble over it. Mad but true.

Sometimes there is even trouble with "butter" (or "budder" as the cousins say in some parts).

SultanOfSwing Jul 11th 2013 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 10795139)
Yes, there really is trouble over it. Mad but true.

Sometimes there is even trouble with "butter" (or "budder" as the cousins say in some parts).

OK, the barmaids in all the pubs I play in around here then all deserve a raise because I ask for water all the time and always get what I ask for. Now I'm going to start varying my accent to see what happens ...

I've yet to eat in an establishment in which I require butter that doesn't provide butter at the tables, so that I can't test.

Mr Weeze Jul 11th 2013 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 10795133)

Yes. I don't have a strong accent and have resorted to switching to diet coke before.

SultanOfSwing Jul 11th 2013 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze (Post 10795197)
Yes. I don't have a strong accent and have resorted to switching to diet coke before.

Perhaps we are saying it wrong. I think water is pronounced 'Miller Lite' out here ...

Poppy girl Jul 11th 2013 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma (Post 10794176)
Feel my pain then. I test drinking water for bacteria and everyday I have to say water, Water, WATER! It gets old after a while:o

Dito I feel your pain too I sell it for a living :lol:

Orangepants Jul 11th 2013 3:27 pm

I always say "iced water" - think it helps with the context.. have resorted saying water in French or Spanish before!

Nutek Jul 11th 2013 3:37 pm

I've given up even asking for water when we go to a restaurant now.

I just say "Coke" instead. And then get served a Pepsi anyway. :frown: