Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

War of Northern Aggression / American Civil War

War of Northern Aggression / American Civil War

Old Nov 25th 2013, 8:38 am
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute
Default War of Northern Aggression / American Civil War

This subject was touched upon in another thread but it may be worthy of it's own.
We are quite close to Appomattox where the war ended and have property on Lee's Retreat so quite immersed in the history of the conflict.
Most of us term it the American Civil War however in the South it is called the "War Between the States" or the "War of Northern Aggression" and still the subject of much discussion.
One of the many dark aspects of slavery we were not aware of was the fact they were often buried in unmarked graves so care is needed around any old previously inhabited areas.
Old Nov 25th 2013, 9:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: War of Northern Aggression / American Civil War

Also known as "the late unpleasantness". Though not sure who coined that one.
Old Nov 25th 2013, 9:44 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Just chatted with the young woman who is a paralegal in the office where I am "of counsel." She is from Dallas and tells me they referred to it as the "Civil War." My 60-something friend from Dallas tells me that it was the "War Between The States" when she was growing up except from some of the older folks who used "War of Northern Aggression." I remember a vacation in Maine some years back and I could swear I felt the ghosts of Joshua Chamberlain and the 20th of Maine. In the town square of Camden ME, there was the memorial to the "War of Rebellion."

I think that Ken Burns has caused general acceptance of "The Civil War." We just had the 150th anniversary of the Gettysburg Address wherein Lincoln stated "Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure."

As Shelby Foote noted, before 1861, the term "the United States are ..." was correct syntax. After 1865, it became "the United States is ..."

As I have mentioned before, during my travels in the old Confederacy, no one seemed to object to taking $5 or $50 bills.
Old Nov 25th 2013, 10:01 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
... In the town square of Camden ME, there was the memorial to the "War of Rebellion."
http://www.thefacultylounge.org/2011...monuments.html

Fun little town
Old Nov 25th 2013, 11:02 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

As I said in the other thread, my experiance of GA & SC folk is that they don't see it as a civil war because they see 'the South' as an occupied country, and it was more attempting to throw off the chains of oppression.
Old Nov 25th 2013, 6:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

SalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond repute

There is a mockumentary called "The Confederate States of America" that provides an alternative history of Northern America should the South have won the war. It's absolutely absurd, but the absurdity to stir some questions. Questions not so much on a "what if" basis, but more so towards antebellum attitudes, and then the juxtaposition of antebellum attitudes with contemporary society.

Anyway, the Civil War is the only real neutral way of naming the event, just because it can be spun in so many ways, whether it is called the War of Northern Aggression, or A Necessary Step In The 100+ Year Long Process Towards The Realization Of A True Liberty For All That's Still Ongoing.
Old Nov 25th 2013, 9:04 pm

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute

According to the naturalisation Civics Test

73. Name the U.S. war fought between the North and the South
- the Civil War
- the War between the States
Old Nov 25th 2013, 11:01 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cardienscarf
According to the naturalisation Civics Test

73. Name the U.S. war fought between the North and the South
- the Civil War
- the War between the States
I got asked that one.
Old Nov 25th 2013, 11:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

"War of Northern Aggression" my arse. The South fired first!
Old Nov 26th 2013, 1:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rpjs
"War of Northern Aggression" my arse. The South fired first!
Actually, no. IIRC, the first shot fired was by the North on Fort Sumpter in Charleston, SC.
Old Nov 26th 2013, 1:04 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
Actually, no. IIRC, the first shot fired was by the North on Fort Sumpter in Charleston, SC.
Aye but they were asking for it.

Let's face it, whether in the UK or the US (or indeed Westeros) the North is just better
Old Nov 26th 2013, 1:05 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Aye but they were asking for it.

Let's face it, whether in the UK or the US (or indeed Westeros) the North is just better
.....at eating pies?
Old Nov 26th 2013, 1:06 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
.....at eating pies?
Among other things, yes.
Old Nov 26th 2013, 1:13 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

As the South left the United states, to form the Confederacy, and had no claims on the north, calling it a civil war seems to be the language of the victor and not neutral language.
Old Nov 26th 2013, 1:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Well, it certainly wins as being better at talking crap!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.