Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Wanting to move to the USA

Wanting to move to the USA

Old Sep 9th 2010, 1:15 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wanting to move to the USA

You are leaving simply because of the lack of rolling hills? Honey, you ain't been in the right parts of Pennsylvania if you ain't found rolling hills. Did you try the NE part of Pennsylvania around the "Endless Mountains" or the SE part around Lancaster/Mt. Joy?

Cross the border to NYS and see the rolling hills of the outter Catskill Mountains or the lake districts of the Finger Lakes in NY. Heck Route 17 is PA on the left if you are going west and NY on the right.

Is the marriage being dissolved and if so, is this a justifiable cause to the courts for ending it?

Originally Posted by cheshireman
Hi

Do you really want to move to usa.

I arrived here 29th July on a k1 visa and im heading back to UK 23rd sept.

Pennsylvania is nothing but trees without a view of rolling hills.

If you do think carefully which state you go too.????
Old Sep 9th 2010, 3:26 pm
Just Joined

cheshireman will become famous soon enough

Thanks to all those who have given advice even the ones with sarcasm.

I will try a bit longer, but the option of going back is still an option.

The base facts are from day one still havent been able to get even an interview for the job applications, Or even had replies to.

I had a job in pipeline and agreed before coming here and was let down big style by the company in PA.

I have got job offers/options in Scotland even though I would be an import from NW England.

1/
My fiance doesnt want to move to another state ,her son is at college.
Thats isnt an option?
2/
She doesnt want to go to the Uk even though she has already lived there.
3/
No money coming in and what funds I have are diminishing.

So its stay a little longer then BFH (bus fare home) Im afraid??
Should that be an 'airbus or boeing boeing gone' before someone cracks another funny.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 3:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Just take any job, it will get you money, it gives you a US work history and you might make contacts.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 4:40 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

cheshireman, I'm sorry to hear it's not working out for you after 6 weeks.
OTOH, I thought *my* marriage was independent; the last few days around here have me changing my mind!
Old Sep 9th 2010, 5:59 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheshireman
No money coming in and what funds I have are diminishing.
I've got to agree with Duncan Roberts. Any money coming in is better than no money coming in... and it's a lot easier to get a job if you're already working. Think of a job in your field of expertise as a long-term project rather than an short-term must.

Ian
Old Sep 9th 2010, 6:17 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

CM

I know being jobless is the pits. I remember 12 years ago when DH came on a K-1, we married and he applied for AOS. He didn't receive any bites on his resume and was without employment for 8 months before he finally responded to a minimal pay job listed in the local paper. He got the job and toiled there until he retired just this June after nearly 11-1/2 years earning less than $28K a year for a position that others can take in the same field for over $70K a year. He problem was being over 50 and with a degree but with 40 years of experience under his belt which the Yanks considered useless.

Not easy but if your spouse is unwilling to assist you by compromising her requirements to save the marriage, I suppose it is better to go back home while you can without incurred an overstay.