Reload this Page >

Wanting to move to Oklahoma

Wanting to move to Oklahoma

Old Nov 5th 2013, 11:00 am
Just Joined

bouncey_bouncey is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Wanting to move to Oklahoma

Hey, Well i decided i wanted to move to Oklahoma City,
However there's a few things i'm not sure of.
Visa's? I have no family at all in America. I am trying to get rid of my psycho ex ( won't go into detail on him )
I do have children ( 13, 9 and 4 )
I have considered Medical Insurance,
I have also seen a house i wanted in Oklahoma, But unsure how i would get a mortgage as i have been told not to get a UK mortgage for a US house.

I have been to Oklahoma once a few months back and i wanted to go back to live as i enjoyed being there.
I have applied for a few jobs and do have 2 call backs for interviews there to but again how would i go about in getting work visa's and stuff too.

Thanks for reading this.
Old Nov 5th 2013, 11:08 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wanting to move to Oklahoma

Most people seem to want to move to Florida rather than Oklahoma ...

However, unless there's something you've not told us (like that you're a U.S. citizen) you need to read Pulaskis Ways concerning visas and unless you fit easily into one of the categories, it's not likely to be happening anytime soon:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA

Last edited by JAJ; Nov 5th 2013 at 11:11 am.
Old Nov 5th 2013, 11:20 am
Just Joined

Hey, I want to be in Oklahoma because i have a few friends who live there. Originally i wanted to move to Lancaster PA but then when i found out how cold it got then i changed my mind.
Oklahoma doesn't get that cold in the winter. Yes i do understand with Tornadoes and stuff in the summer But Oklahoma is the place i have decided on.
Old Nov 5th 2013, 11:31 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bouncey_bouncey
Hey, Well i decided i wanted to move to Oklahoma City,
However there's a few things i'm not sure of.
Visa's? I have no family at all in America. I am trying to get rid of my psycho ex ( won't go into detail on him )
I do have children ( 13, 9 and 4 )
I have considered Medical Insurance,
I have also seen a house i wanted in Oklahoma, But unsure how i would get a mortgage as i have been told not to get a UK mortgage for a US house.

I have been to Oklahoma once a few months back and i wanted to go back to live as i enjoyed being there.
I have applied for a few jobs and do have 2 call backs for interviews there to but again how would i go about in getting work visa's and stuff too.

Thanks for reading this.
Welcome to BE.

First of all you will need a visa. Take a read through this...http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...n_the_USA...if you fit into one of the categories you may have a chance of moving to the US. Without a visa you cannot move here.

If you obtain a visa...you will need written permission from the children's father before they can move to he US.
Old Nov 5th 2013, 11:38 am
Just Joined

Hey again. My children's father has signed all his parental responsibility away a few years ago. My youngest child's father is coming with us. .. Ill read that link in a sec thanks
Old Nov 5th 2013, 2:21 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

You haven't given any indication of your qualifications or your work experiance, but it seems like a work visa is you best bet - unless you fancy marrying an American!
Old Nov 5th 2013, 2:36 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

My youngest child's father is coming with us. ..
Are you and the youngest child's father married? If not, and you DO get a work visa, he won't be able to join you in the USA unless you're married.

Rene
Old Nov 5th 2013, 2:41 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

What kind of jobs? What is your degree in? How many years of direct work experience in that field do you have?

As for how to go about getting a work visa...if an employer is interested in hiring you, and you and the job meet the H1B visa qualifications, then on April 1, 2014 the employer submits a petition, pays all the associated fees, and it goes through the process. You go to an in-person interview at a US embassy, get the H1B visa, and start work on October 1, 2014.

Keep in mind that you should have some special skills in order to beat out the USCs applying for the same jobs you are. A US employer might not spend all that money to bring in a foreign worker when there are plenty of USCs around who don't need sponsoring.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Nov 5th 2013 at 3:28 pm.
Old Nov 5th 2013, 3:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Job or marriage.
What's your work experience and you'll get feedback immediately on your chances?

Which may be none.
Old Nov 5th 2013, 3:51 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally i wanted to move to Lancaster PA but then when i found out how cold it got then i changed my mind.
Oklahoma doesn't get that cold in the winter. Yes i do understand with Tornadoes and stuff in the summer But Oklahoma is the place i have decided on.
Have you visited Oklahoma? As far as tornadoes are concerned, they don't just happen in the summer. Wikipedia says:
Tornadoes have occurred in every month of the year. Oklahoma City has become one of the most tornado prone cities in the United States.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_Oklahoma_City

My feeling is you really should organize a visit before you invest much time & energy seeking a visa.
Old Nov 5th 2013, 3:56 pm

I have been to Oklahoma once a few months back...
Originally Posted by WEBlue
Have you visited Oklahoma?

My feeling is you really should organize a visit before you invest much time & energy seeking a visa.
The OP says she's been to Oklahoma once, a few months back.

Rene
Old Nov 5th 2013, 4:02 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
The OP says she's been to Oklahoma once, a few months back.
Ah OK, that's good.

But Bouncy, don't underestimate those tornadoes....
Old Nov 5th 2013, 4:09 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

If she wanted to move to Florida, this would all make perfect sense, but Oklahoma?

Good that Medical Insurance has been considered!
Old Nov 5th 2013, 4:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Follow your dream.
Old Nov 5th 2013, 4:46 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Apart from the visa.

I'd suggest not buying a house for the first year, if you are able to make it here. That's a terrible idea generally.

The wiki here also has a lot of decent info about credit history.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.