Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Wanting to move to California - what can I do there?

Wanting to move to California - what can I do there?

Old Aug 22nd 2020, 8:13 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wanting to move to California - what can I do there?

Originally Posted by neill
And woke places like SF are getting ridiculous.
"Are getting"? .... You do realize that the 20th century is over, right?
Old Aug 22nd 2020, 8:48 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I have experience teaching in secondary schools also, this might be an option?

Are any of these professions likely to be more open to a UK applicant than others?

Is there a shortage of jobs for any of these professions?
No, no & no. In that order.

As others have said, it's a long shot at best without significant retraining. I especially like the accuracy of Pulaskis canoe paddling analogy.
Old Aug 22nd 2020, 11:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

I think your best bet would be going to graduate school in the US using your lecture credentials for a teaching assistant work/study scholarship in grad school and use that time in US for networking and if its in the cards possibly marry American citizen not just for a visa of course.
Old Aug 22nd 2020, 11:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Work as a barrister, save plenty of cash, and "buy a green card."
Old Aug 23rd 2020, 12:38 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
Work as a barrister, save plenty of cash, and "buy a green card."
That a good bit more pricey than it used to be - now a minimum of $900k, and legal fees add about another $60k.
Old Aug 24th 2020, 8:57 am
Just Joined

KatSueKurry is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for all of your replies.

I think doing a second masters or phd there is the way to go, I’ll look into it further. The Fulbright awards look ideal, thank you for sharing.

A change in lifestyle/income is of no concern to me, especially if it’s justified by further education.

In answer to the ‘why move/why California?’ questions, it’s to be closer to my partner. I’m currently visiting every couple of months and spend a few weeks a year there. I’ve done so for a few years now but COVID has made this difficult and put things into perspective.

It’s a complicated situation, my partner is tied to living there for a few more years (caring for a relative) and marriage isn’t on the cards for the foreseeable future (same sex and disapproving families). I do love it there and have built a good network of friends that I’m keen to be closer to so I’m happy to give anything a go, even if it’s for a short time.

Thanks again.
Old Aug 24th 2020, 10:07 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KatSueKurry
Thank you for all of your replies.

I think doing a second masters or phd there is the way to go, I’ll look into it further. The Fulbright awards look ideal, thank you for sharing.

A change in lifestyle/income is of no concern to me, especially if it’s justified by further education.

In answer to the ‘why move/why California?’ questions, it’s to be closer to my partner. I’m currently visiting every couple of months and spend a few weeks a year there. I’ve done so for a few years now but COVID has made this difficult and put things into perspective.

It’s a complicated situation, my partner is tied to living there for a few more years (caring for a relative) and marriage isn’t on the cards for the foreseeable future (same sex and disapproving families). I do love it there and have built a good network of friends that I’m keen to be closer to so I’m happy to give anything a go, even if it’s for a short time.

Thanks again.
Is your partner a US citizen?
Old Aug 24th 2020, 1:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

The Fulbright awards look ideal, thank you for sharing.
Did you see the note that you almost always have to leave the country afterwards? It's a famous condition of the Fulbright awards. I have friends (a couple) who were split up for years because of this! Proceed with caution.
Old Aug 24th 2020, 1:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

GeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond repute

It’s a complicated situation, my partner is tied to living there for a few more years (caring for a relative) and marriage isn’t on the cards for the foreseeable future (same sex and disapproving families)
If they're a citizen just get married and don't tell your families.

That will make the possibility of you being able to move to California considerably more likely than any other option available to you by the sounds of it.
Old Aug 24th 2020, 2:14 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GeneralPowerpoint
If they're a citizen just get married and don't tell your families.

That will make the possibility of you being able to move to California considerably more likely than any other option available to you by the sounds of it.

Hmm California must be the most friendly place to move to, not an issue where I am in the boonies of Colorado.
Old Aug 24th 2020, 2:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

That would be an ideal plan. Get into grad school, trip to Vegas for low key marriage and then have two plus years to get the paper work sorted out.
Old Aug 24th 2020, 4:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
"Are getting"? .... You do realize that the 20th century is over, right?
Well I'd rather live in a place like SF than the bible belt, for example. Each to his own.
Old Aug 24th 2020, 11:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neill
Because it's in the movies. I suppose, the climate more than anything. Seriously, the innards (like closer to Vegas, tahoe innards) would actually appeal to me but the coastal area is really the only area with viable employment opportunities, and it's way overcrowded, overpriced, and overtaxed. And polluted. And woke places like SF are getting ridiculous.
Is being a woke place a bad thing, do you even know what it is?

Old Aug 24th 2020, 11:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Well I'd rather live in a place like SF than the bible belt, for example. Each to his own.
If wokenss keeps certain people away from SF or CA,, that's a good thing.
Old Aug 25th 2020, 3:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

OP should learn that dreams are just that - dreams.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.