Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Want To Marry Us Man:

Want To Marry Us Man:

Old Oct 2nd 2002, 12:23 pm
Just Joined

MARRIAGEHELP is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Want To Marry Us Man:

PLEASE PLEASE HELP US! Im a British lady with sole parental responsibility of 2 young children. I wish to marry a USC. I am going to buy a home for us to live in in America soon. When would be the best time for us to marry. We almost married last time I visited and I am due to visit again soon. Although we dont plan to marry on my next visit there is a possibility that we could. If we do, must we then file for change of status from tourist visa to whatever?? and must the children and I then stay in USA until the paperwork is finished with - or must we return to UK. If we do return to UK once we have filed that paperwork, will anything prevent us from re-visiting during the timespan between that and the finalisation of the paperwork. Does it make a difference if I am pregnant with the USC's child?
DESPERATE FOR HELP - PLEASE
Old Oct 2nd 2002, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

jcsutton has a brilliant futurejcsutton has a brilliant futurejcsutton has a brilliant futurejcsutton has a brilliant futurejcsutton has a brilliant futurejcsutton has a brilliant future
Default Re: Want To Marry Us Man:

You have a rather complicated situation especially with the children. I would not encourage you to marry under these circumstances. You really should go through the K1 fiancee' visa process. It'll take a few months, but at least it will all be above board and legit and save you some real problems in the future. Your biggest complication would be the father of your children and obtaining his consent to move them to the US.....
Old Oct 2nd 2002, 2:24 pm
Just Joined

Cool Re: Want To Marry Us Man:

Originally posted by jcsutton:
You have a rather complicated situation especially with the children. I would not encourage you to marry under these circumstances. You really should go through the K1 fiancee' visa process. It'll take a few months, but at least it will all be above board and legit and save you some real problems in the future. Your biggest complication would be the father of your children and obtaining his consent to move them to the US.....
THANK YOU FOR RESPONDING: I have double-checked with my solicitor today and have been informed for the second time that the father of my children has no parental responsibility. I am allowed to move to wherever I wish and to take my children WITHOUT his consent. You are the second person to suggest that their father might be a problem. Am I to take it that the USA authorities will seek his permission even though UK law states that I am allowed to take my children wherever I wish?
Old Oct 2nd 2002, 5:39 pm
Forum Regular

jcsutton has a brilliant futurejcsutton has a brilliant futurejcsutton has a brilliant futurejcsutton has a brilliant futurejcsutton has a brilliant futurejcsutton has a brilliant future

Unfortunately you are getting a bit out of my depth, experience-wise. Your question might be better answered on the alt.visa.us.marriage-based usenet group. There are a # of very knowledgeable people there.......
Old Oct 2nd 2002, 7:44 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by jcsutton:
Unfortunately you are getting a bit out of my depth, experience-wise. Your question might be better answered on the alt.visa.us.marriage-based usenet group. There are a # of very knowledgeable people there.......
YOU HAVE BEEN SO KIND. THANKYOU. I WILL SEEK THE SITE YOU SUGGEST RIGHT AWAY. BEST WISHES.