Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Want to Live & Work in the US

Want to Live & Work in the US

Old Oct 27th 2009, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

paul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to all
Default Re: Want to Live & Work in the US

This is a bit of deja vu, I'm sure there was a thread on here about an accountant wanting to go to the US a few weeks ago that I replied to.

Anyway - as people have said here sponsorship for H1B is extremely unlikely. Putting all other issues aside (actually finding a job at a company that is willing to spend $$$ and wait for you) even if you have the 'American equivalent' you haven't worked in the US under US GAAP.

I know a few accountants that have worked their way up to management roles at UK multinationals and then transferred to the US. At 25 you have time. Short of finding a USC to marry I think this is your best shot.

Same for gudkaa, I know at my old company one or two that transferred from Marketing to the NY offices. Didn't happen very often, but it did happen.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 4:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
You are an alien, therefore they can do whatever they like with your CV.
Well they can do whatever they want with whatever CVs they get. A guy I know used to handle applications. If there were a lot of applications he would discard half without looking at them, then he read the cover letters and if there was a single spelling or punctuation error, if they were too long and padded or if they were basically a resume they would go in the bin then he would check the resume for spelling or grammar errors and junk those. After all that he would have a manageable amount and actually looked at them and it was at that point that anyone requiring sponsorship would get binned as well. It really is who you know followed by what you know.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 4:55 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by numbers18
I have an american equivalent of an accounting degree. I want to study further in america, so I can obviuosly learn more about there tax systems, accounting software etc but ultimately need to work to keep me fed and watered!! Im 25 so would have seen that as an ideal age to move for prospective employers. Ive been working and studying in accountancy for the past 7 years, with a variety of experience, I dont know if you would call any of the experience 'special' as such but I know given the opportunity I could walk into a job in the US (without sounding arrogant) as I have contacted agencies who have said this should be the case.
I qualified as an accountant in the UK, have worked in Finance for 15 years, 10 years for a billion $ turnover company. We moved to the US for my husbands job.

Despite meeting all the requirements for many job adverts, speaking to recruitment agencies who all said I had got a fantastic resume and experience... I applied for over 100 jobs before getting an interview.

The recruitment agencies landed me zero interviews, despite the fact that the recruiter had also gained his accounting qualifications in England so understood the system, he still couldn't convince a US company to interview me, there were too many US qualified candidates.

I ended up with 2 interviews within a week and both of them I spent around 30 minutes explaining what my qualifications were as American companies do not understand that you didn't go to Uni for 4 years and get a degree in some totally unrelated subject, but instead I slogged my arse off working full time while studying and taking my exams.

I was offered both jobs, but getting those initial interviews was bloody hard, it took me 5 months to get a job and I already lived in the US and had my work authorization.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 5:50 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Gentlemen

This is NOT an immigration question. May I humbly suggest that you search the www for a site that deals with your type of question. Google has thousands of newsgroups that might well discuss this issue.

BE's US Immigration is not the place.

This tread is being moved to the US Trailer Park.

Rete
SuperMod
Old Oct 27th 2009, 6:35 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately not, its an immigration agency i.e. A firm of solicitors who try to find ways to get you access to the US. If I ever manage to live in the US I think Ive found a great business!
It is a great business because often it is a scam.

People are being direct with you on this for two reasons, one we get asked about this everyday and it gets really tiring to have to answer the same question over and over and over again (hint: read the wiki or try the search for 'accountant'). Second, there are dozens of scam immigration 'agencies' out there that will take £500 or so from you to fill out forms and send them in on your behalf with NO CHANCE of being approved. This hurts you not only in the sense you have lost £500 or so, but because you have a visa rejection on your file and will no longer be able to use the Visa Waiver Program to enter the us on holidays.

The wiki is a great place to start. Come back and ask 'what are the chances for an H1 visa as an accountant' or 'how easy is it for an accountant to get an L visa' and you'll get a much more satisfactory response.

And please be careful with anyone who says they can 'get' you a visa for a fee.

Good luck.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 6:46 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
This hurts you not only in the sense you have lost £500 or so, but because you have a visa rejection on your file and will no longer be able to use the Visa Waiver Program to enter the us on holidays.
pssst.. just have to declare the denial at arrival, doesn't bar them from using the VWP. But, they'll have to explain it at Secondary.
*IF* they get ESTA approval after declaring the denial.

shoot, that's complicated stuff. I think I got it right.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 8:06 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Without being harsh, this is a stage OP - it's a stage where you lurk around forums like these, get to understand the issues & then realise the outcome is not what you want or more difficult that it seems.

Firstly, the immigration agents or whatever you want to call them - total waste of time. The best I can say is, never pay any money or give out credit card details or whatever. YOu will live on...About Uk making it easy for Americans, as many said total BS.

You are 25. I can hardly imagine you having the level of experience and maturity to have a go at USC's who will be up against (NO DISRESPECT)

Let me reiterate what Paul_79 says. I am close to 30yo with 8 years solid experience (post graduate so I was working even before that). Masters, CIMA, CPA (well close to) and let me tell you I dont even have to go via H1B and yet its hard to convince agencies.

That gives you an idea. Your best shot is work hard and work for a multi national. (well if you find a USC to marry you even better!!!!) Actually the study route is good too so get more details.

anywho - all the best with it mate.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 4:59 pm
Account Closed

goldenstate31 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by elfman
bollocks it does. Have you any experience of helping a US citizen into Britain to live and work legally?
sorry to go off subject but I always wondered if it was easier for US citizens to immigrate to the UK, than a UK citizen moving to the US!
Old Oct 28th 2009, 5:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by goldenstate31
sorry to go off subject but I always wondered if it was easier for US citizens to immigrate to the UK, than a UK citizen moving to the US!
No. It can be shorter in time but it's more expensive and the restrictions on who can immigrate are similarly harsh.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 5:15 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

in our experience there were marginally fewer hoops to jump through getting my Mrs legal in Britain than there were for me to come here, but overall the idea that Americans can just pitch up in Britain to live and work "no questions asked" is utterly laughable
Old Oct 28th 2009, 9:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

I think there is some degree of correctness in that. Like, for a qualified professional UK still has the points system and I can get the HSMP or whatever visa with ease. For US on the other hand, a different planet altogether. It's a lottery. I still can not believe it that the system (H1B) post the 300k+ applications is just a matter of luck. This it the primary reason where dodgy consultancies get people with little or no talent into the country who then get paid 60% of the wage and everyone's happy. Just my observation though, could be completely wrong.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

Englishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud of

To those who are rude and saying I cant be bothered reading the wiki article thats rubbish. Although I havent actually read the wiki article
The most annoying part of this process (or lack of) is that Britain opens its doors to US citizens not questions asked!
I wouldn't even employ you as an accountant in the UK if this is how good you are at looking up vital information, especially when people have handed it to you on a plate.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 5:27 pm
Forum Regular

paul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to all

I actually think it's slightly easier. My wife (then girlfriend) originally was sponsored to work in the UK but then moved onto a Highly Skilled Migrant Permit enabling her to work for any employer and it wasn't tough to get. She scored enough points based on education level, earnings in the last 12 months, English speaking and the fact she'd been working in the UK already.

To get the HSMP she did not need a job lined up and did not need to be at the top of her field by any means to get it. Just a reasonable professional.

I on the other hand would not have been able to work here without transferring or sponsorship of some kind.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 5:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Marriage based, definitely.

Getting my wife a spouse visa involved a handful forms, check, marriage certificate and her passport being mailed to somewhere in California if I recall.

Less than a week later, she got her passport back with a visa in it to allow her to live and work in the UK.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 7:12 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
II was offered both jobs, but getting those initial interviews was bloody hard, it took me 5 months to get a job and I already lived in the US and had my work authorization.
and Walmart said you was one of there best greeters ...well done

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.