Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Want to Live & Work in the US

Want to Live & Work in the US

Old Oct 27th 2009, 12:59 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Want to Live & Work in the US

Originally Posted by numbers18
The most annoying part of this process (or lack of) is that Britain opens its doors to US citizens not questions asked!
Really? I'm a USC. So if I wanted to go to Britain and marry a UKC, or I want to study in the UK, or I want to work in the UK, I don't need any special visa at all?? I can just go over there and stay as long as I like and do anything I like while there?

As for your situation, how about looking into a J-1 visa? At least that might give you a chance to come here temporarily and be an intern or something...

Rene
Old Oct 27th 2009, 1:13 pm
Forum Regular

Scott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond repute

The most annoying part of this process (or lack of) is that Britain opens its doors to US citizens not questions asked!
I am afraid that this quote kind of invalidates anything more you have to say on immigration matters.

The UK is equally as difficult to immigrate to from a non-commonwealth country such as the US. Some of us here have first hand experience of it.

How many natural-born Americans think that people from the UK can move to the US with "no questions asked"?

I have met many.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 1:13 pm
Just Joined

gudkaa is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I am a marketing professional and I am desperate to get out of London and continue my life and career in New York. I have already been on a J1 traineeship visa and therefore have already exhausted that option. My only way back in is to get sponsored by a US company on a H1b. I have been contacting companies directly, but I am getting no response back. Does anyone know of any sponsorship sites? or give me any advice on how to get sponsored?
Old Oct 27th 2009, 1:58 pm
Just Joined

numbers18 is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyway back to any recommendations?!? I have the same question as gudkaa. Does anyone know of any sponsorship sites/companies that help in these matters? I have asked various recruitment agencies and ive drawn a blank!
Old Oct 27th 2009, 2:06 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

bollocks it does. Have you any experience of helping a US citizen into Britain to live and work legally?
Old Oct 27th 2009, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

Scott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond repute

Anyway back to any recommendations?!? I have the same question as gudkaa. Does anyone know of any sponsorship sites/companies that help in these matters? I have asked various recruitment agencies and ive drawn a blank!
You have been given the link which provides all the information you should require. Whether or not you chose to read it is your decision. Sometimes, things cannot be found after an extensive search...because they do not exist.

Feel free to spend your money on the many online agencies who can "help you into the US". Maybe they know something the people here (immigrants, dual-nationals, immigration lawyers etc) don't.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 2:16 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Scott33
You have been given the link which provides all the information you should require. Whether or not you chose to read it is your decision. Sometimes, things cannot be found after an extensive search...because they do not exist.

Feel free to spend your money on the many online agencies who can "help you into the US". Maybe they know something the people here (immigrants, dual-nationals, immigration lawyers etc) don't.
I receivde a call last night from an agency, the immigration solicitor is ringing me tonight.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 2:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

I receivde a call last night from an agency, the immigration solicitor is ringing me tonight.
Good luck with that. You said you didn't mind getting a harsh response as long as it's constructive so I'll give it a shot. You won't be moving to the US any time soon, likely never. The best thing you can do is find another region in the UK to live, gain a lot of experience in a niche area and then try again in a decade or so when you have something worthwhile to offer the US and the economy might be in a better situation.

Look at it from the other point of view. Why on earth would the US want to let in a moderately skilled accountant? Honestly, what do you have to offer that a) all the qualified US citizens b) everyone work authorized in the US c) the rest of the world doesn't? Just because YOU want to live and work in the US doesn't mean that the US wants you here. In fact it's quite the opposite and especially so now with all the unemployment here.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 2:56 pm
Just Joined

are these international recruitment agencies? would be grateful if you could share with me. my problem is...that i want to get into huge multinational corps, loreal, unilever etc so i am trying to contact them directly when applying to jobs in their NY office. but obviously no luck there so far! I just want then to give my cv/resume a chance before putting me in the other pile because im an 'alien'!
Old Oct 27th 2009, 3:03 pm
Just Joined

Unfortunately not, its an immigration agency i.e. A firm of solicitors who try to find ways to get you access to the US. If I ever manage to live in the US I think Ive found a great business!
Old Oct 27th 2009, 3:07 pm
Just Joined

Unfortunately not, its an immigration agency i.e. A firm of solicitors who try to find ways to get you access to the US. If I ever manage to live in the US I think Ive found a great business!
if you dont mind, let me know how the discussion goes or if you have any new advice. im just getting told the same from everyone, so I know what I need to do but finding it hard to get these corporations attention.

thanks
Old Oct 27th 2009, 3:10 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gudkaa
I just want then to give my cv/resume a chance before putting me in the other pile because im an 'alien'!
You are an alien, therefore they can do whatever they like with your CV. You can't get away from the fact that you are an alien - and there are literally, hundreds of thousands of USCs and PRs who are as qualified as you are, and who do not need visa sponsorship. This is the reality of the situation, and everything else is irrelevant.

By the way, you should avoid agencies that claim to offer jobs in the US or get you visa sponsorship. Almost all of them are scams to get your money because you are "desperate"... and the more desperate you appear, the more likely you are to become a victim. No legitimate company will advertise that it will sponsor you. Why? Because they don't want to deal with a flood of CVs.

Ian
Old Oct 27th 2009, 3:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
You are an alien, therefore they can do whatever they like with your CV. You can't get away from the fact that you are an alien - and there are literally, hundreds of thousands of USCs and PRs who are as qualified as you are, and who do not need visa sponsorship. This is the reality of the situation, and everything else is irrelevant.

By the way, you should avoid agencies that claim to offer jobs in the US or get you visa sponsorship. Almost all of them are scams to get your money because you are "desperate"... and the more desperate you appear, the more likely you are to become a victim. No legitimate company will advertise that it will sponsor you. Why? Because they don't want to deal with a flood of CVs.

Ian
Thanks Ian, I know the situation that I am in and just need to accept it, especially considering that I am still junior and so there will be plenty of american candidates with the same qualifications. am i totally hear you on these agencies being a scam!
x
Old Oct 27th 2009, 3:33 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Free Immigration Help HERE!!!!
Old Oct 27th 2009, 4:11 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I am a marketing professional and I am desperate to get out of London and continue my life and career in New York. I have already been on a J1 traineeship visa and therefore have already exhausted that option. My only way back in is to get sponsored by a US company on a H1b. I have been contacting companies directly, but I am getting no response back. Does anyone know of any sponsorship sites? or give me any advice on how to get sponsored?

#1, it's poor form to crash someone else's thread; you think you have the same situation, but the devil is in the details.
However, to both of you, there are no agencies with lists of companies that will sponsor H-1B applicants. There just aren't. We're not holding out any big secret information here, there just aren't any legitimate places that offer this. It's been discussed in the past and there are threads you can search out where people have posted advice on how to get hired for a US position that will also sponsor you.

The reason you are drawing a blank is because you're asking for something that does not exist. You write about 'sponsorship' like it's just a matter of filling in a form, it is not.

if you dont mind, let me know how the discussion goes or if you have any new advice. im just getting told the same from everyone, so I know what I need to do but finding it hard to get these corporations attention.
You think it would be a great business? You think no one in the US has figured out a way to make a buck off wanna be immigrants? I'd suggest that if you can't find any, there is a good reason.
by all means, explore the possibilities. But please don't think you've out-clevered the people who just weren't that persistant. Sometimes the answer simply is: there is no route for you.
It sounds like both of you have a shot at a longer term plan, which puts you well ahead of some of the people who explore the idea of moving here, but you need to come to grips with the time factor.

You are both aware that it's hard for ANYone to 'get these corporations' attention' right now, right? That most places simply are not hiring?

To those who are rude and saying I cant be bothered reading the wiki article thats rubbish. Although I havent actually read the wiki article I have been on just about every website there is trying to find out information. As im sure you will all know it is incredibily difficult to get a work visa in the US so thought I would try and seek some advice from people who have done it. Thanks for the sarcastic comments though, much appreciated.
I have to add, this was too precious.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.