Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Wallace and Gromit

Wallace and Gromit

Old Oct 16th 2005, 3:03 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Wallace and Gromit

I've just been to see 'Wallace and Gromit - the Curse of the Were-Rabbit'.

I was laughing so much my jaws ached and tears were rolling down my face.

I enjoyed spotting some things which may have been lost on an American audience.....eg. the 'SMUG' label on the fridge instead of 'SMEG' which isn't sold over here, and Lady Totteridge being referred to as 'Totty'. The vegetable marrow had to be changed to 'melon' for the US market as marrows are unknown over here...but they slipped up in one scene and the melon became a marrow again....

A definite must-see...

NC Penguin; there is a short animated movie just before the W&G comes on and it's all about penguins in NYC at Christmastime....it's enjoyable too.
Old Oct 16th 2005, 3:07 am
Deb

Deb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wallace and Gromit

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I've just been to see 'Wallace and Gromit - the Curse of the Were-Rabbit'.

I was laughing so much my jaws ached and tears were rolling down my face.

I enjoyed spotting some things which may have been lost on an American audience.....eg. the 'SMUG' label on the fridge instead of 'SMEG' which isn't sold over here, and Lady Totteridge being referred to as 'Totty'. The vegetable marrow had to be changed to 'melon' for the US market as marrows are unknown over here...but they slipped up in one scene and the melon became a marrow again....

A definite must-see...

NC Penguin; there is a short animated movie just before the W&G comes on and it's all about penguins in NYC at Christmastime....it's enjoyable too.

I took my youngest daughter to see it about a fortnight ago, I agree, its great...
Defiantly worth a visit to the cinema.
Old Oct 16th 2005, 3:34 am
Illinois Rapscallion

Circus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond repute

Took the kids last night ... I loved every minute. I thought it was like watching Police Squad ... with so much in the background to laugh at. A few of the double entendre's passed the American's by and I was the only one laughing... but the part where Wallace picks the box up to hide his modesty and it says "Warning may contain nuts" had been giggling like a schoolboy.
Old Oct 16th 2005, 4:00 am
BE Enthusiast

tallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to behold

Me too, just been to see it with the 2 little ones and enjoyed the 'hidden' jokes. Noticed the SMUG on the fridge as well as the 'middle age spread' on a jar label (ha ha). Did chuckle at the 'may contain nuts' and the 'lovely pair of brassicas' too..

Def. one to go and see (if you have small children who need entertaining on a rainy afternoon) and you can chuckle at the extra jokes yourself (can you tell I am not a movie person generally )
Old Oct 16th 2005, 6:06 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Definately want to see it...but the stupid local cinema sucks...though I'm sure it'll get here in time...if we weren't so skint, we'd go down to Bangor to see it...errr...well maybe not
Old Oct 16th 2005, 12:31 pm
Position - Offside

Location: Harvest, Alabama from Newport Pagnell, Bucks/Mitcham, Surrey
Lynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond repute

Great movie. The choice of voices was good too, Liz Smith's character even looked like her, and choosing Nicholas Smith (Mr. Rumbold) for the vicar was a good choice. The people next to us cracked up over the cheese sign "Stinking Bishop" and were even more surprised when I told them there is a cheese called that. I am sure there were some things the American audience could not get easy like when Wallace told Gromit to "give it some wellie lad".

Every cinema around my area has been showing it, even the drive in.
Old Oct 16th 2005, 7:50 pm
Account Closed

Dimsie is an unknown quantity at this point

We saw it on Thursday - loved it! US husband kept saying "What was that?" and I had to do a rough translation - but we both rolled around laughing ! There was so much innuendo, non-stop, it was hard not to miss some!
Old Oct 16th 2005, 8:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going to take my three year old for his first 'movies' experience, bizarre really as 'The Wrong Trousers' was the first movie my daughter saw, she loved it, hopefully he will love it too..
Old Oct 16th 2005, 9:14 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Wallace and Gromit

Originally Posted by Dimsie
We saw it on Thursday - loved it! US husband kept saying "What was that?" and I had to do a rough translation - but we both rolled around laughing ! There was so much innuendo, non-stop, it was hard not to miss some!

Yeah...it's like the old British seaside postcards...mildy 'saucy' in parts LOL!
Old Oct 17th 2005, 12:54 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

My favourite film of the year, even better than Sideways and Teenage Anal Sluts 4: this time its pers-anal
Old Oct 17th 2005, 12:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick
My favourite film of the year, even better than Sideways and Teenage Anal Sluts 4: this time its pers-anal
Sideways was 2004. You need to turn the page on your calendar...
Old Oct 17th 2005, 1:05 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celsius
Sideways was 2004. You need to turn the page on your calendar...
Your forgetting I live in North Carolina, Duran Duran are just about to become big here!!!! The land that time forgot
Old Oct 17th 2005, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

DEE_UK has a brilliant futureDEE_UK has a brilliant futureDEE_UK has a brilliant futureDEE_UK has a brilliant futureDEE_UK has a brilliant futureDEE_UK has a brilliant futureDEE_UK has a brilliant future
Talking Re: Wallace and Gromit

I love the adult humour in these movies... "May contain nuts"

The Penguin movie at the beginning was great!
Old Oct 17th 2005, 3:15 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

I know too many Americans who just don't "get" W&G. Too bad for them. I'm looking forward to taking my visiting parents to see it in two weeks' time, with my 4-year old daughter. It'll be her first trip to the cinema.
Old Oct 17th 2005, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

traceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Maz
I know too many Americans who just don't "get" W&G. Too bad for them. I'm looking forward to taking my visiting parents to see it in two weeks' time, with my 4-year old daughter. It'll be her first trip to the cinema.
I went to see it last night with 2 American friends and had to do a lot of explaining..I loved the "just call me Tottie" line, but it went right over their heads!! Definitely the best W&G so far...

Tracey

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.