Reload this Page >

walking the dog

walking the dog

Old Sep 8th 2006, 8:33 am
Just Joined

Santolina is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: walking the dog

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
We're out in Katy, and lots of our neighbours have dogs - most of them walk them early morning /evening during the summer, all on leashes, all with plaggy bags in their pockets. And like a few people have said, it seems to be quite a sociable passtime. We've not got dogs yet (too busy with brats!) but being here wouldn't stop me gettign one when the time is right.

On the whole "moving to Houston thing", most of the people that we know that are on fixed term (or relatively fixed) expat postings do actually love it here. Personally I'm not so keen because of the lack of scenery, character etc, but for 2 years you could kind of ignore that and enjoy the difference!

Weather wise, it may not be as bad as some are painting. The summer months are nasty - no getting away from it. They are a LOT worse than Singapore - we were there for 8 years, and thought it would be a doddle handling the summers here - we were wrong! BUT the rest of the year is pretty good - its starting to cool down now, and based on the last few years, should be OK thru to next May or so...

I'd say give it a bash - its only 2 years after all, and it'll go quicker than you thought!
So we're speaking about possibly 4mths of really hot weather.
Certainly be a change from what we're used to....hot in Aberdeen is 22c!
At least if we go now we will arrive at the best time of year to get acclimatised.

Right enough, we know of people who would never come back, but then there are those who can't stand the sight of the place......horses for courses, I suppose.

Can't say I really aspire to the American way of life but I've managed to find some great looking houses at reasonable rentals that would seem okay for walking the dog in their gated grounds. (He is always on the lead, so will be okay)

We don't have kids in tow, so shouldn't be too complicated a move. As long as there is cold beer and a few (non chain) restaurants nearby, we'll be happy.

I see there is also a fantastic looking ice rink so I'll be able to get my skates on.
Trying to be as positive as I can.

Other half has a meeting today to find out about the job, terms and conditions. I've given him a list of my 'asks', but I bet he'll come off the plane tomorrow without having found out very much. No doubt he will have all the interesting details, like the kind of nuts and bolts he will be needing!

They seem to be a bit of a disorganised bunch so we'll just have to wait and see what they come up with.

Either way, we are in for a change....his current employer has announced that everyone has to pay for their annual medicals! Yeh right. Oil industry at an all-time high and they make a statement like that. REALLY good for recruitment.
Old Sep 8th 2006, 11:19 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

I think you'll enjoy it, knowing it is very short term.

Good thing is that you'll be fairly centrally situated geographically speaking, so can fly around for a weekend to see the sights. That is a plus.

Ensure he gets UK holiday allowance or he might only get 2 weeks/year
Old Sep 8th 2006, 1:40 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Santolina
So we're speaking about possibly 4mths of really hot weather.
Certainly be a change from what we're used to....hot in Aberdeen is 22c!
At least if we go now we will arrive at the best time of year to get acclimatised.

Right enough, we know of people who would never come back, but then there are those who can't stand the sight of the place......horses for courses, I suppose.

Can't say I really aspire to the American way of life but I've managed to find some great looking houses at reasonable rentals that would seem okay for walking the dog in their gated grounds. (He is always on the lead, so will be okay)

We don't have kids in tow, so shouldn't be too complicated a move. As long as there is cold beer and a few (non chain) restaurants nearby, we'll be happy.

I see there is also a fantastic looking ice rink so I'll be able to get my skates on.
Trying to be as positive as I can.

Other half has a meeting today to find out about the job, terms and conditions. I've given him a list of my 'asks', but I bet he'll come off the plane tomorrow without having found out very much. No doubt he will have all the interesting details, like the kind of nuts and bolts he will be needing!

They seem to be a bit of a disorganised bunch so we'll just have to wait and see what they come up with.

Either way, we are in for a change....his current employer has announced that everyone has to pay for their annual medicals! Yeh right. Oil industry at an all-time high and they make a statement like that. REALLY good for recruitment.
Have to say, if you're looking for decent independent restaurants close by, Katy probably isn't the place...there are a few, but not many. And you can count the bars on one hand. Note I didn't say "decent" bars....

If he's in oil, and you're looking at Katy, then presumably he's going to be working in the "oil corridor" down Eldridge? If so, Katy's not a bad commute, but may also be worth looking around the Royal Oaks area, which would be an easy commute and give you easier access to the Galleria (shopping and the ice rink) plus closer to more restaurants.

Weather is cooling off nicely - its mid 70's now and should get up to mid 80's, but the humidity has droppped a bit, theres a bit of a breeze, and its quite pleasant. I may get the long trousers out in December/January, but thats about the only time they're needed..