Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

walking the dog

walking the dog

Old Sep 7th 2006, 12:01 am
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: walking the dog

Originally Posted by bugman
Of all the things i miss in the Uk the main one is being able to go anywhere with the dog off lead, I would every other day go on a 2-3 mile mini hike up the local moors with an ecstatic jack russel, he probably covered 10 miles by the time i'd walked 4 straight. That kind of hard exrcise is harder to find here. yes, you will probably have to drive to a dog park but the whole walking in a circle thing can be rather constricting. luckily we have have a huge big leash free area (more like a flat moor rather than just a lawn) near us that few people go on, the tall grass gives the dogs a hard run despite its flatness here near chicago. Yes, it seems funny to miss those cold windy moors but they have always been one of my favourite places!!

bugman

Thankfully I have a big back garden with lots of grass and trees so my dog can run around whenever she wants. We have a good neighbourhood for walking dogs too, all private streets, you see people out and about with them all the time.
Old Sep 7th 2006, 12:08 am
Just Joined

Santolina is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by blaze
Thankfully I have a big back garden with lots of grass and trees so my dog can run around whenever she wants. We have a good neighbourhood for walking dogs too, all private streets, you see people out and about with them all the time.

Does anyone know if there are any areas where I can do this in Houston?
Old Sep 7th 2006, 12:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Philgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Santolina
I'm sure there are many areas you can do this - look for a "Planned Community". These are usually walled in (although huge so not claustrophobic) housing developments centered around a golf course or lake. There will usually be private security so they are safe and pretty typical American suburban neighbourhoods. Because of the low cost of living in Houston these types of houses are relatively affordable - your ex-pat deal will almost certainly run to one of these.

One example I can think of is Greatwood to the Southwest - but I know there are multiple carbon copies from the SW around to the North of Houston.

Last edited by Philgr; Sep 7th 2006 at 12:19 am. Reason: Can't spell
Old Sep 7th 2006, 12:20 am
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

When I wanted to know the same thing about Pittsburgh I just googled "Pittsburgh dogs" or something like that. I found a few websites that had dog forums and that was how I got some of the information.
Is your dog all set up for his European pet passport or has someone already covered that?
Apart from speaking to Defra about the passport I also rang the Chief Vet for Pennsylvania to find out if he needed any special things at this end.
Old Sep 7th 2006, 12:25 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Philgr
I'm sure there are many areas you can do this - look for a "Planned Community". These are usually walled in (although huge so not claustrophobic) housing developments centered around a golf course or lake. There will usually be private security so they are safe and pretty typical American suburban neighbourhoods. Because of the low cost of living in Houston these types of houses are relatively affordable - your ex-pat deal will almost certainly run to one of these.

One example I can think of is Greatwood to the Southwest - but I know there are multiple carbon copies from the SW around to the North of Houston.
Cheers, you have made my day, or at least the wee small hours.
Can't concieve of having to be in a car all the time. Dog walking is also a good way of meeting people.
Old Sep 7th 2006, 12:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Philgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jumping doris
When I wanted to know the same thing about Pittsburgh I just googled "Pittsburgh dogs" or something like that.
If you do this for Houston and you're easily offended make sure your Safe Search is on - otherwise you are going to get pictures of half the employees in one of Houston's other famous industries
Old Sep 7th 2006, 12:29 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jumping doris
When I wanted to know the same thing about Pittsburgh I just googled "Pittsburgh dogs" or something like that. I found a few websites that had dog forums and that was how I got some of the information.
Is your dog all set up for his European pet passport or has someone already covered that?
Apart from speaking to Defra about the passport I also rang the Chief Vet for Pennsylvania to find out if he needed any special things at this end.
Have checked everything out and as Archie is only 2 yrs old, hale and hearty, we should be fine.

Hubby will go out first, then me and last of all the dog. Would hate to ship him too soon, we need to be settled first.

Luckily Continental are based in Houston and seem to be well organised in the animal shipment dept.

Yes, our local Animal Welfare office were helpful and suggested we contact their equivalent in Texas to make sure he gets in ok.
Old Sep 7th 2006, 12:30 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

This looked useful: http://www.houstondogpark.org/locations.htm
Old Sep 7th 2006, 3:10 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I know there's a grassy knoll in Dallas ...
Old Sep 7th 2006, 7:06 am
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
I know there's a grassy knoll in Dallas ...
But that's best viewed from an open top car.
Old Sep 7th 2006, 8:10 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Philgr

Can't believe they've actually called one of them 'Southfork'.........but then again our local builders have 'Greenacres', now I'm giving my age away!
Old Sep 7th 2006, 12:29 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Can't believe they've actually called one of them 'Southfork'.........but then again our local builders have 'Greenacres', now I'm giving my age away!

talked to my nice scottish friend here last night on the dog and bone and she has two adorable cocker spaniels. she walks her dogs early mornings in the arboretum close to us and adjacent to memorial park. the many planned communities here which are walled in usually come with strict HOA rules and regs stating dogs to be kept on a leash however still a good way of meeting people. good luck.
Old Sep 7th 2006, 6:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

Depends how much you value your dog, I suppose.
Just part of the bigger picture, he's one of the family.
It's also really theraputic, walking the dog, you know.

Perhaps you should try a gerbil next time?
He'd only eat it!

Back on topic. In a lot of subdivisions I wouldn't be surprised if people walked their dogs (leashed of course) within it, either on sidewalks (if they exist) or close to the kerb.
Old Sep 7th 2006, 9:27 pm
Just Joined

[QUOTE=Celsius]He'd only eat it!

Nice one!
Old Sep 8th 2006, 1:16 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: walking the dog

We're out in Katy, and lots of our neighbours have dogs - most of them walk them early morning /evening during the summer, all on leashes, all with plaggy bags in their pockets. And like a few people have said, it seems to be quite a sociable passtime. We've not got dogs yet (too busy with brats!) but being here wouldn't stop me gettign one when the time is right.

On the whole "moving to Houston thing", most of the people that we know that are on fixed term (or relatively fixed) expat postings do actually love it here. Personally I'm not so keen because of the lack of scenery, character etc, but for 2 years you could kind of ignore that and enjoy the difference!

Weather wise, it may not be as bad as some are painting. The summer months are nasty - no getting away from it. They are a LOT worse than Singapore - we were there for 8 years, and thought it would be a doddle handling the summers here - we were wrong! BUT the rest of the year is pretty good - its starting to cool down now, and based on the last few years, should be OK thru to next May or so...

I'd say give it a bash - its only 2 years after all, and it'll go quicker than you thought!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.