Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart for British Fare?

Wal-Mart for British Fare?

Old Oct 24th 2011, 3:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of
Default Wal-Mart for British Fare?

A few years ago (2008, I think) while on Holiday in Orlando, we discovered a Wal-Mart that had a quite large section of British foods – OXO, HP Sauce, Heinz Baked Beans, chocolate digestives, salad cream and assorted other items. Which prompts a question:

Does anybody live anywhere north of Orlando and know whether or not the W’mrt in their area has the British foods?

We’ve been thinking of using the Thanksgiving Day weekend (4 days for OH) to drive to a W’mrt (see? It is a 4-letter word) in Florida to stock up on various items while skimming the Gulf coast for the scenery. We’d like to avoid going all the way to Orlando, if we can, as that would make for an awfully hard-driving week-end (at least 1½ days from Memphis)?

On a related subject – lyonsden1193 picked up 10 packs (clearing out the shelf) of McVities Chocolate Digestives yesterday on our grocery shopping foray – at Wal-Mart, no less! Very reasonably priced ($2.78), compared to all other purveyors of this or similar products in our area. OH was thrilled (as only a Brit can be). , Actually, his finding the biscuits is what prompted our idea about going to FL - we figure a shipment accidentally got sent to Memphis instead of one of the stores in FL, but are in hopes that once they see the product sells, they'll bring more in. We don't hold out much hope though, W'mrt seems particularly slow on the uptake when it comes to how many ex-pats are in this area.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 3:52 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wal-Mart for British Fare?

Try Cost Plus World Market, if there is one in the area that you're going to.

http://www.worldmarket.com/home/index.jsp

As far as I know most Walmarts don't carry much British stuff. My DH is British and works at one and other than tea bags he hasn't mentioned finding anything, and gets his McVities at Cost Plus.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 4:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Why would you travel all the way to Orlando...why not buy the stuff on-line there seem to be many sites selling Brit goodies? I'm lucky...I can buy most of the stuff you mentioned and more locally.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

Married2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond repute

It was probably due to proximity to the big mouse. For example my local Publix has some British food (in SC), but the one in Kisssamee, FL had a boatload for all of the Brits who rented villas in the area (they also price gouge a bit, but that's expected in a tourist area).
Old Oct 24th 2011, 5:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Why would you travel all the way to Orlando...why not buy the stuff on-line there seem to be many sites selling Brit goodies? I'm lucky...I can buy most of the stuff you mentioned and more locally.
Actually, we don't want to go all the way to Orlando - that's why I posed the question about W'mrt stores north (and west) of there. As for ordering on-line, it usually costs an arm and a leg for S&H so we decided to use the arm & leg for a sight-seeing road trip instead. Is it possible the store we found in Orlando is the only one that ever carries(d) what we want? Granted, that was 3 years ago, but........
Old Oct 24th 2011, 5:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Married2abrit
It was probably due to proximity to the big mouse. For example my local Publix has some British food (in SC), but the one in Kisssamee, FL had a boatload for all of the Brits who rented villas in the area (they also price gouge a bit, but that's expected in a tourist area).
I suggested to my OH that might be the case. I've gone on W'mrt's website (which appears to be at least 4 years out of date!) and except for locating their stores, it's as useful as wings on a pig.

Considering the fact that it's my understanding the store managers have little to do with ordering stock for their stores, that the digestives turned up here is a real puzzle. As I said, it could have been a shipment that was misdirected, ending up here, and then the store manager decided to go ahead and sell what they could - maybe it was easier than trying to send it back!

We've tried and tried to get sense out of the managers we've spoken to at 2-3 W'mrts here, but it's like, in order to qualify for the job, they had to be missing part of their brain, not to mention their balls! All we've been able to get out of anybody who purports to "manage" the stores close to us, is that they're slaves to the Bentonville, AR grey suits. (Even the temperature in the stores here, for Pete's sake, are controlled by the Bentonville office - if it's cold there, they turn on the heat, even if it's still 90 here!)

Last edited by Egg and Cress; Oct 24th 2011 at 6:37 pm.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 6:40 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

My DH says that all the stock in all the walmarts are coordinated...so every one will sell swimsuits, cold/wet weather gear etc at the same time of year regardless of local conditions.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 7:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Egg and Cress
Actually, we don't want to go all the way to Orlando - that's why I posed the question about W'mrt stores north (and west) of there. As for ordering on-line, it usually costs an arm and a leg for S&H so we decided to use the arm & leg for a sight-seeing road trip instead. Is it possible the store we found in Orlando is the only one that ever carries(d) what we want? Granted, that was 3 years ago, but........
If you want a road trip out of it fair enough...otherwise order in bulk on line. If you could remember the name of the store or find it...they may be willing to ship stuff to you.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

LizBeth is just really niceLizBeth is just really niceLizBeth is just really niceLizBeth is just really niceLizBeth is just really niceLizBeth is just really niceLizBeth is just really niceLizBeth is just really niceLizBeth is just really niceLizBeth is just really niceLizBeth is just really nice

We had a deliberate trip for British fare back in 2008 to the Supercenter at: 8990 Turkey Lake Rd, Orlando, FL 32819.

All the tourist traps were there - PG tips, Heinz baked beans, Mars bars, Fruit Shoots...my husband, son and I stood in the parking lot happily scoffing Jaffa cakes (not McVities). If you want the stuff badly enough then it's all reasonably priced, eh? I know you said N of Orlando, but it brought back happy memories. We also did the giant Whole Foods nearby too.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 8:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
If you want a road trip out of it fair enough...otherwise order in bulk on line. If you could remember the name of the store or find it...they may be willing to ship stuff to you.
I know exactly where it is! In fact, you just gave me an idea - they might be willing to have the order shipped to one of our local stores with their regular delivery where we could pick it up. I wonder......... Guess I'll have to make a few phone calls. Thanks!
Old Oct 24th 2011, 8:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by LizBeth
We had a deliberate trip for British fare back in 2008 to the Supercenter at: 8990 Turkey Lake Rd, Orlando, FL 32819.

All the tourist traps were there - PG tips, Heinz baked beans, Mars bars, Fruit Shoots...my husband, son and I stood in the parking lot happily scoffing Jaffa cakes (not McVities). If you want the stuff badly enough then it's all reasonably priced, eh? I know you said N of Orlando, but it brought back happy memories. We also did the giant Whole Foods nearby too.
Yes - that's the store! We were only hoping we might find one of the Wal-Marts closer to us than Orlando - that's why I said "north". I was just trying to not have to go so far. And you're right about the price being reasonable if you want it bad enough. As for Whole Foods, we haven't tried that one yet - really must get over there!!!
Old Oct 25th 2011, 4:56 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Ft Lauderdale- Miami, not seen Brit food section in our local Walmarts. Several Publix super markets do have small Brit Food section, sauce, digestives, biscuits, tea, custard, salad cream etc.

We have to British stores, within 2 miles of our home, almost never go to either, how sad is that. Guess been here too long.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 5:56 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

The prices in Publix are pretty reasonable as well.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 5:57 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frrussre
Ft Lauderdale- Miami, not seen Brit food section in our local Walmarts. Several Publix super markets do have small Brit Food section, sauce, digestives, biscuits, tea, custard, salad cream etc.

We have to British stores, within 2 miles of our home, almost never go to either, how sad is that. Guess been here too long.
Reg. Frank R.
They're not British but I love Publix fried chicken and key lime pie!
Old Oct 25th 2011, 1:05 pm
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Sheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond repute

Our Publix has a small UK foods section and occasionally W'mart gets some bits in (they do a particularly good British Cheddar every now and again). World Market also has some bits but are more expensive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.