Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Waiting ten days for SSN necessary with SAVE CaseCheck?

Waiting ten days for SSN necessary with SAVE CaseCheck?

Old May 2nd 2018, 2:19 am
Just Joined

Triz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Waiting ten days for SSN necessary with SAVE CaseCheck?

I've been reading the advice on here about waiting ten days before heading down to the Social Security Office to order a SSN.

I've also seen mentioned the USCIS SAVE CaseCheck. Can that be used to check if you're in the system? (There doesn't seem to be a record of me there yet.) Or is it just a case of going down on day 10 after your arrival.

I had marked down on my immigration documents to just mail out the SSN but that is apparently unreliable and my address is different from the one I put down anyway which is that of a relative.

It seems you can't get much done until you have that number in your hand.
Old May 2nd 2018, 2:47 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Waiting ten days for SSN necessary with SAVE CaseCheck?

to to https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/home
get most recent i94 and print it out.

In Austin it's usually taking only a few days to get into the system ( there are exceptions!) and so long as you can print out the i94, you're probably good to go.
take your passport with visa
i94
birth certficate

and yes,you're right it's hard to get stuff done without ssn but not impossible.

where are you having difficulties?

Also, you won't be in SAVE until you start an application for something like the SSN or driver's license and even then you won't have an ongoing case unless they can't locate your immigration details.
Old May 2nd 2018, 3:22 am
Just Joined

Ahh, I see thanks for the info.

Strangely, my 'most recent' I-94 appears to be from my last trip here trip a few years back, yet my travel history lists my recent arrival at the POE? Do I need to wait until my 'most recent' I-94 is updated?
Old May 2nd 2018, 3:49 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

yes, you'll need to wait. You need the i94 'or green card or EAD
full information here https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ss-5.pdf
Old May 2nd 2018, 8:08 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

If you entered on an immigrant visa (aka you're receiving a green card) then I don't think you will be given an I-94.
Old May 2nd 2018, 11:26 am
Austin. TX.

Originally Posted by tom169
If you entered on an immigrant visa (aka you're receiving a green card) then I don't think you will be given an I-94.
I assumed non immigrant visa. If that's not the case then either GC or ead. Or wait for it to come through to your relative's place. You could also go along to the social security office and ask about it. Go first thing 30 mins before they open and the wait is not too bad
You will need SSN however to set up your business or to be contracted for work.
Old May 2nd 2018, 12:28 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

That was my assumption, as well. Even when hubby entered on a K-1 20 years ago this coming August, he did not get an I-94 in his passport. The K-1 in his passport and his passport was sufficient to get his social security number/card.

The K-1 is an non-immigration visa with intent to immigrate.
Old May 2nd 2018, 12:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Triz
I've also seen mentioned the USCIS SAVE CaseCheck. Can that be used to check if you're in the system? (There doesn't seem to be a record of me there yet.)
No, that's to look up the status if an agency (DMV, SSA etc.) has sent your case off for manual verification.

I see from your post history that you entered on an immigrant visa so you won't have an I-94 - permanent residents don't get issued with them.
Old May 2nd 2018, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
That was my assumption, as well. Even when hubby entered on a K-1 20 years ago this coming August, he did not get an I-94 in his passport. The K-1 in his passport and his passport was sufficient to get his social security number/card.

The K-1 is an non-immigration visa with intent to immigrate.
For benefit of anyone googling this in the future, I entered on a K-1 and did receive an I-94 (online).
Old May 2nd 2018, 1:26 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

The 10 day thing applied to me but now the I94 are done electronically and many people have had success getting them the next day
Old May 2nd 2018, 1:40 pm
Just Joined

It’s an immigrant visa. I guess that’s why I have no I-94. So I can just show up? No need to wait ten days?
Old May 2nd 2018, 3:04 pm
Austin. TX.

Originally Posted by Triz
It’s an immigrant visa. I guess that’s why I have no I-94. So I can just show up? No need to wait ten days?
You're applying for a new SSN.
please look at the pdf I posted earlier to determine if you have the correct documentation.

The SSA offices in Austin don't get too busy and as new applicants you'll be put into a different queue anyway which generally moves pretty quickly. There is nothing stopping you going along and asking about the ssn and seeing if it has already been issued and being prepared to send to the original address.
Old May 2nd 2018, 3:07 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

For benefit of anyone googling this in the future, I entered on a K-1 and did receive an I-94 (online).
Online. Back 20 years ago there was no online resource to access an I-94 and one was not given for K-1's from Canada, at least.

Last edited by Rete; May 2nd 2018 at 3:10 pm.
Old May 2nd 2018, 3:09 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
You're applying for a new SSN.
please look at the pdf I posted earlier to determine if you have the correct documentation.

The SSA offices in Austin don't get too busy and as new applicants you'll be put into a different queue anyway which generally moves pretty quickly. There is nothing stopping you going along and asking about the ssn and seeing if it has already been issued and being prepared to send to the original address.
And if they cannot verify you on the SAVE system they will verify you manually which will take longer than an additional 10 days. That is why standard advice has been to wait 10 days before applying. It gives USCIS time to enter you into the SAVE system.
Old May 2nd 2018, 4:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete
And if they cannot verify you on the SAVE system they will verify you manually which will take longer than an additional 10 days. That is why standard advice has been to wait 10 days before applying. It gives USCIS time to enter you into the SAVE system.
Yes, I think this is what is confusing.

Much advice seems to say to wait ten days to appear on SAVE. My thought process was that, if we need to wait ten days to appear on SAVE, it would be possible to check if you are on the system via SAVE CaseCheck, and only make your way down once you appear on CaseCheck. Therefore either reducing the time needed to wait, or extending the time you wait depending.

What I seem to be hearing is that even though you may be in SAVE, you won't appear on CaseCheck until you actually apply.

I'll just wait ten days, the property I put an offer on fell through anyway, so it probably makes sense to wait until I have a permanent address.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.