Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Waiting for tax ID number...how long?

Waiting for tax ID number...how long?

Old Jan 23rd 2008, 4:09 am
Forum Regular

Bladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of light
Default Waiting for tax ID number...how long?

Hi all

I arrived in NY in November on a non immigrant visa and sent in my W7 form (for tax exempt status) at the start of December. I work for a European-based employer and still pay tax in my country of residence.

So far I have heard nothing from the IRS. I cannot do a number of things like open a bank account or pay rent without the aforsaid tax ID number. When I call the IRS they say I do not appear on the computer, but applications can take months.

Anyone have any experience of this? I am getting a bit frustrated.

Cheers.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 4:27 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Waiting for tax ID number...how long?

I thought the W-7 rules now say the form can only be submitted with a tax return? You might not see that number for a long time, if ever.

What visa are you on?
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 4:38 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
I thought the W-7 rules now say the form can only be submitted with a tax return? You might not see that number for a long time, if ever.

What visa are you on?
He's asking about a Tax Exemption Number. I know that a Taxpayer's Identification Number has to be filed with a tax return but not sure about the Tax Exemption Number and in fact, thought it was only available to non-profit and religious affiliations.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 4:44 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I've never heard of a Tax Exemption Number for an individual (orgs can get Tax Exempt status); I think he is referring to this use of an ITIN:

Individuals needing an ITIN include:

1. A nonresident alien individual eligible to obtain the benefits of a reduced rate of withholding under an income tax treaty,

http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc857.html

You must file Form W-7 (PDF) , Application for Individual Taxpayer Identification Number, to apply for an ITIN, and show that you have a federal tax purpose for seeking the ITIN. In most cases, this will require attaching a federal tax return to the most current revision of the Form W–7 available. Along with the completed Form W-7, you will submit identity documents, and either a federal tax return, or other documentation to show the federal tax purpose for which you need the ITIN.

The thing is, the ITIN is not designed to be a replacement SSN for the purposes he's talking about in the OP.

Bladerunner: It's also possible to open a bank account and pay rent without either of these numbers.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 6:18 am
Forum Regular

Bladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of light

Cheers for the info guys. I'm on an "I" visa from a country with a tax treaty with the US. If you tick the "covered by tax treaty" box, you don't need to supply a tax return - apparantly. I submitted copies of my visa, a letter confirming my country of residence and photo ID.

I live in a large apartment block in NY and they say their payment system won't accept my rent without a SS or Tax ID number. If there was a way to get around this, I'd be tempted not to bother with the tax ID number.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by Bladerunner
Cheers for the info guys. I'm on an "I" visa from a country with a tax treaty with the US. If you tick the "covered by tax treaty" box, you don't need to supply a tax return - apparantly.

I live in a large apartment block in NY and they say their payment system won't accept my rent without a SS or Tax ID number. If there was a way to get around this, I'd be tempted not to bother with the tax ID number.
Ask them what other 'unique identifier' they can work with. SSNs and ITINs are for FEDERAL TAX purposes. Other places use them because they are unique.
See if they'll take your pp number or similar.

I'll have to read the page I linked you to see where it says they will send you the number without a tax return or Federal Tax need.
The point I'm driving at is that SSA or the IRS isn't going to give you a number so you can pay your rent. In their thinking, these are TAX ID#s for tax reporting purposes.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 6:26 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

I cannot do a number of things like open a bank account
Try another bank. You do NOT need a SSN or ITIN to open a checking account. Your foreign passport should be just fine.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 6:49 am

sent in my W7 form (for tax exempt status) at the start of December. I work for a European-based employer and still pay tax in my country of residence.

So far I have heard nothing from the IRS.
From the linked page:

If you apply by mail, use the address shown in the Form W–7 instructions and in Publication 1915. After reviewing your application, your documents will be returned to you. If your original documents have not been returned within 60 days, you may call 1–800–829–1040 (in the United States), or 1–215–516–2000 (outside the United States), to find out about the status of your documents. It takes approximately 4 to 6 weeks for the IRS to notify you in writing of your ITIN.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 8:58 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Meauxna and Fatbit. Appreciate the help.

I'm glad I didn't send them my passport.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 9:07 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Meauxna and Fatbit. Appreciate the help.
You sometimes have to persevere. If the drone behind the counter starts prattling on about the Patriot (aka Paranoid) Act, it means s/he went to the bank's training session, ate the donuts, drank the coffee....but didn't understand a word they were saying. Simply put, if you have a SSN, you must give it to them. If you don't have one, you merely have to prove your identity, i.e. a passport or similar. If you meet an idiot, push it gently up to someone in the establishment who has a brain. I don't think it'll be too hard to open an account in cosmopolitan NYC without a SSN.
Old Jan 26th 2008, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

marielawson is a name known to allmarielawson is a name known to allmarielawson is a name known to allmarielawson is a name known to allmarielawson is a name known to allmarielawson is a name known to allmarielawson is a name known to allmarielawson is a name known to allmarielawson is a name known to allmarielawson is a name known to allmarielawson is a name known to all

Hi all

I arrived in NY in November on a non immigrant visa and sent in my W7 form (for tax exempt status) at the start of December. I work for a European-based employer and still pay tax in my country of residence.

So far I have heard nothing from the IRS. I cannot do a number of things like open a bank account or pay rent without the aforsaid tax ID number. When I call the IRS they say I do not appear on the computer, but applications can take months.

Anyone have any experience of this? I am getting a bit frustrated.

Cheers.

If you did everything well you will get you ITIN 10 weeks after the IRS (Texas) received your W7 with all the information and notarized support papers they require.

Good luck
Old Jan 27th 2008, 6:27 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the info. I'll call them again after 10 weeks.

I submitted a b/w photocopy of my visa, an original letter from the immigtration authorities of my country of residence confirming my residence, and b/w photocopies of two forms of ID - national ID card without photo, and press card with photo. I don't drive, so don't have a licence. Short of sending my passport itself, this was the best I could do. Nothing was notarized though.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 3:14 pm
Forum Regular

marielawson is a name known to allmarielawson is a name known to allmarielawson is a name known to allmarielawson is a name known to allmarielawson is a name known to allmarielawson is a name known to allmarielawson is a name known to allmarielawson is a name known to allmarielawson is a name known to allmarielawson is a name known to allmarielawson is a name known to all

Thanks for the info. I'll call them again after 10 weeks.

I submitted a b/w photocopy of my visa, an original letter from the immigtration authorities of my country of residence confirming my residence, and b/w photocopies of two forms of ID - national ID card without photo, and press card with photo. I don't drive, so don't have a licence. Short of sending my passport itself, this was the best I could do. Nothing was notarized though.
Sorry to know that.

If nothing is notarized they will send you a letter stating that your application was refused. You'd better call them right away so you do not spend all this time waiting for nothing.

Good luck.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 3:44 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marielawson
Sorry to know that.

If nothing is notarized they will send you a letter stating that your application was refused. You'd better call them right away so you do not spend all this time waiting for nothing.

Good luck.
What is it that would need to be notarized? Looking at his list of documents, I don't see anything that he needed to sign. All a notary does is verify a signature. A notary doesn't verify the validity of documents themselves.

Rene
Old Jan 27th 2008, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
What is it that would need to be notarized? Looking at his list of documents, I don't see anything that he needed to sign. All a notary does is verify a signature. A notary doesn't verify the validity of documents themselves.

Rene
All copies of documents (passports, visas, etc.) need to be notarized; the Notary Public will certify that they are true copies of the original.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.