Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Wage war on petrol?

Wage war on petrol?

Old Apr 14th 2005, 9:25 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wage war on petrol?

Originally Posted by mandpete
I usually buy gas from BP because it's cheaper and nearer than other gas stations, and because I thought BP stood for British Petroleum but apparently not any more.
Beyond Petroleum these days....but it's all BS, because it doesn't matter where the oil is coming from, it's needed and people will pay, and most of it is imported from various places anyway.
Old Apr 14th 2005, 9:26 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
If I could afford a diesel, I would have got one. The new ones are way ahead of the petrol versions in my opinion. Probably would even go the whole hog and get a bio-diesel conversion, only fill up once a year or so. The rest of the time, chip fat from Burger King!
so much diesel out your way? there's only a couple of petrol stations that have diesel out in maine...
Old Apr 14th 2005, 9:41 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandpete
Got this e-mail this morning........

BUY YOUR GAS, - THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO KNOW.

READ ON-Why didn't George W. think of this?

Gas rationing in the 80's worked even though we grumbled about it. It might even be good for us! The Saudis are boycotting American goods. We should return the favor.

An interesting thought iS to boycott their GAS. Every time you fill up the car, you can avoid putting more money into the coffers of Saudi Arabia. Just buy from gas companies that don't import their oil from the Saudis.

Nothing is more frustrating than the feeling that every time I fill-up the tank, I am sending my money to people who are trying to kill me, my family, and my friends.

I thought it might be interesting for you to know which oil companies are the best to buy gas from and which major companies import Middle Eastern oil :

Shell........................205,742,000 Chevron/Texaco......... 144,332,000 barrels
Exxon /Mobil............... 130,082,000 barrels
Marathon/Speedway... 117,740,000 barrels
Amoco............................62,231,000 barrels

If you do the math at $30/barrel, these imports amount to over $18 BILLION!

Here are some large companies that do not import Middle Eastern oil:
Citgo.......................0 barrels
Sunoco...................0 barrels
Conoco...................0 barrels Sinclair....................0 barrels
BP/Phillips..............0 barrels
Hess.......................0 barrels
ARC0.....................0 barrels.

you may or may not know this but the content of this spam email is nonsense

BP/Philips? never existed, Amoco? ceased to exist 5- 7 years ago

half the companies on the list have not existed for a number of years.....
Old Apr 14th 2005, 10:36 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Texas Brit
Just for kicks, I just checked. Average price in UK right now is 85.3 p a litre, which translates to just over six bucks a gallon.

Course, you tell Americans that and it just further fuels that whole WE'RE NUMBER ONE thing.
Just tell them that actually they pay the highest prices compared to anywhere in Europe the difference being that here taxes amount to an average of 25% of the price at the pump but in Europe the average is 70% of the price. This actually makes the petrol itself cheaper in Europe than in the US (according to CNN yesterday).
Old Apr 14th 2005, 11:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

I was paying around $20 dollars to fill up last year and now I'm paying $22. $2 dollars isnt that bigger deal with our little car. Of course, when I get my truck, I reserve the right to bitch and moan.
Old Apr 15th 2005, 12:05 am
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tony_2003
Well those SUV's are going to disapear...in fact most of the U.S.A. economy is going to take a dive acording to this guy. Fascinating reading.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics...region=single1
Good link. That was an interesting read.
Old Apr 15th 2005, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

Scorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by rincewind
Good link. That was an interesting read.
If you want more of that, google "Peak Oil". My cow-orkers have been panicking about it for the past month or so. One has picked which cat will be first on the barbecue when the supermarkets run out of food, another has decided to invest in a 6-month supply of military rations for him and his girlfriend, along with a stockpile of defensive and hunting weapons. Louis Theroux woud have a field day in this office...
Old Apr 15th 2005, 12:48 pm
You fat bastard

adeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really nice

Originally Posted by Scorchio
Does the engine only stop when you come to a halt, or can you drive around on electric only, if you have sufficient charge? I have a Honda Civic hybrid now, after my Insight was wrecked, and the engine turning off when stopping is still freaky. I just wondered how the Toyota tech differed, as the Prius gets much higher city mpg and has a huuuge waiting list compared to the Civic!
I think there is a way that you can get it to drive in electric only, but its not recommended. Generally when you're driving around at less that 30mph, it works on electric only then switches as the speed gets higher. Its sounds like its pretty much the same though.
Old Apr 15th 2005, 3:01 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Have you heard about Willie Nelson's foray into fuel? It's called "BioWillie Diesel Fuel". It's made from corn. See-

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2005..._nelsons_1.php

I first read about it in my local paper last weekend.

NC Penguin
Old Apr 15th 2005, 3:16 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Have you heard about Willie Nelson's foray into fuel? It's called "BioWillie Diesel Fuel". It's made from corn. See-

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2005..._nelsons_1.php
bit like that converting chip fat oil into diesel....they were doing that a while ago in Japan, whatever became of it?
Old Apr 15th 2005, 3:54 pm
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yosser
In Texas, I think its the chevy truck making plant has to shut down for 2 weeks, as bugger all people are buying trucks

You can get $10,000 knocked off the sticker price, but need to re-mortgage the house just to fill her up!

Its only a matter of time, before Ford, Chevy and Dodge start laying people off and the goverment will drop gas prices again so we can all run out and buy a "Hemi".

Swings and bloody roundabouts!
Actually, bugger all people are buying Chevys :-)

Here in Fort Myers we are the 4th largest Ford dealer by volume in the US and the largest in 47 states. Our mainstay is the F-series truck and our Commercial Department is the largest in the whole country by sales volume.

Fords and, by inference, particularly Ford trucks are the largest single brand sold in Florida.

I personally sold 13 new Fords in the first 13 days of this month.

Don't believe everything you read in the Press about falling sales.
Old Apr 15th 2005, 4:05 pm
Forum Regular

UJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Pimpbot
I was paying around $20 dollars to fill up last year and now I'm paying $22. $2 dollars isnt that bigger deal with our little car. Of course, when I get my truck, I reserve the right to bitch and moan.
Doesn't buying something that only gets 10mpg preclude you from bitching and moaning?