Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Vonage...Are they any good?

Wikiposts

Vonage...Are they any good?

Old Mar 8th 2008, 7:55 am
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vonage...Are they any good?

Originally Posted by Irn-bru
My lingo calls have always been so clear - no background noise or anything that if I'm talking I have to ask if the person is there every 30 secs as its so crystal clear!

I think a lot of problems are with the actual phones. I have hi-speed cable broadband so have no idea if that helps with the quality of the calls.
The only time we have problem with quality with connections with Lingo is when I have torrents uploading as that takes a lot of the bandwidth; otherwise perfect as you say.
Old Mar 8th 2008, 2:46 pm
C.C
Geordie Lass

C.C is just really niceC.C is just really niceC.C is just really niceC.C is just really niceC.C is just really niceC.C is just really niceC.C is just really niceC.C is just really niceC.C is just really nice

Originally Posted by neil
The only time we have problem with quality with connections with Lingo is when I have torrents uploading as that takes a lot of the bandwidth; otherwise perfect as you say.
We changed to Vonage 2 weeks ago and its great so far. I love that there are no extra charges to call the UK (unless you call a mobile). Being able to see your bill online is great too, though we have got the first 2 months free.
Old Mar 8th 2008, 10:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil
Same here. Had Lingo for 3 years, for the first 6 months it was a bit choppy at times, but ever since then they've really had their act together. Lingo recently won a test in wired magazine, its cheaper than Vonage and you can call many more countries for free as well.
Old Mar 8th 2008, 11:39 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by C.C
We changed to Vonage 2 weeks ago and its great so far. I love that there are no extra charges to call the UK (unless you call a mobile). Being able to see your bill online is great too, though we have got the first 2 months free.
The same is true of Lingo, and it's slightly cheaper than Vonage. We've had it for about 4 years now.
Old Mar 9th 2008, 4:28 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Irn-bru
I have hi-speed cable broadband so have no idea if that helps with the quality of the calls.
This is a critical part of the equation, and a potential disadvantage of a voip phone.

With voip, you need a fast, highly reliable internet connection, otherwise it will not work well. The disadvantage of this is that if you have a problem, complaining to the phone company often won't do much good, because they can't do anything to help you with your internet connection.

That being said, I have VoiP and there's no going back to regular phones. The main advantages: lower costs, bundled features, flexible service options (such as the ability to have multiple phone numbers in different countries at minimal cost), and number portability (you can move, even abroad, without having to change your number.)

The disadvantages are that it doesn't work if your internet or your power are down (you need to have a mobile as a backup), and that it can be a PITA to set up for the first time. If you know absolutely nothing about computers, it might help to have a friend on hand to help in case you run into problems, and you may need to call technical support to get things going.
Old Mar 9th 2008, 7:12 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Other issue might be setting up 911 calls, unless they've sorted that out, but it's more the problem of them being able to trace location if you call and the call drops, which is another reason a mobile phone is a handy back up.
Old Mar 9th 2008, 7:46 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Other issue might be setting up 911 calls, unless they've sorted that out, but it's more the problem of them being able to trace location if you call and the call drops, which is another reason a mobile phone is a handy back up.
That's easy to do, the phone company's website makes this easy to set up. But you do need to make a point of setting it up.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 4:46 pm
Just Joined

smoskow328 is an unknown quantity at this point

I use Packet8.net. I tried Vonage and they were OK, not great but OK. However Packet8 had special business packages for multiple lines and stuff, but there service hasn't been that great either
Old Mar 12th 2008, 2:17 am
Forum Regular

cpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of light

I work from home and use voice conferencing extensively. I found that my Vonage service with a wireless 2.5 Mbs broadband connection was often choppy and would sometimes drop. This may have been due to me doing other internet related things at the same time and also oversubscription of my local cell by my ISP.

I've recently moved to 10 Mbs cable and the quality and reliablility has been excellent.

It is essential that you have good quality broadband and that the local ISP has not put too many subscribers on the local loop you are using in the case of cable or wireless type services. Many problems with voip services can often be attributed to the quality of your internet service.

Now if I could only get fibre directly to my home ....