Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

SSN info wrong, what to do?

SSN info wrong, what to do?

Old Mar 11th 2008, 3:15 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute
Default SSN info wrong, what to do?

A few weeks ago I took a trip to the local social security office to get my kids their first ss numbers, and to get the notation taken off mine. The woman processed mine first and all went through without a problem. When she tried to enter the kids applications, the system wouldn't accept my ssn as valid, even though 10 mins earlier it had for me. I left the office with the woman promising me she would find out what had happened, and sure enough she called 2 days later to tell me what the problem was. Aparently my maiden name has been incorrectly entered as my current surname by the DHS. So when she entered the details with my true maiden name, the computer rejected it. She got around the problem by inputting my current surname as also my maiden name in order to get the kids numbers.
The question is, how do I go about getting my details entered correctly, so we don't have to forever remember this when asked for my maiden name? This is bound to be a problem when the time comes to file the N400 for citizenship isn't it? Is this a job for an infopass appointment?
Old Mar 11th 2008, 3:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SSN info wrong, what to do?

Why didn't you ask her how to fix the issue?

Yes, you should get this corrected. If you have a marriage certificate, I don't see an issue.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 3:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

farmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to behold

I would go back to the SS office and ask to speak to the supervisor.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 4:00 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Why didn't you ask her how to fix the issue?

Yes, you should get this corrected. If you have a marriage certificate, I don't see an issue.
She told me the DHS would need to fix it. They can't change the info wrongly entered into the system under my alien number.
All I'm looking for is confirmation that an info pass appointment would be the place to go to get the info changed on my file. I don't want to go to that place if there may be an alternative.
Dealing with these places, no matter how much info you have to back you up, is always an issue.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 5:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

farmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
She told me the DHS would need to fix it. They can't change the info wrongly entered into the system under my alien number.
All I'm looking for is confirmation that an info pass appointment would be the place to go to get the info changed on my file. I don't want to go to that place if there may be an alternative.
Dealing with these places, no matter how much info you have to back you up, is always an issue.
That's why I would go back to the SS office and speak to the supervisor /head honcho person there. Some of the flunkies haven't got a clue -
as in messed you up before, will mess you up even further with strange advice......

The SS were the ones who wrongly entered it you 're saying? Then they should fix it. Don't see how DHS/USCIS can fix it. It just should match up to all your current docs and certificates that you take into the SS office.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 5:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by farmerwife
That's why I would go back to the SS office and speak to the supervisor /head honcho person there. Some of the flunkies haven't got a clue -
as in messed you up before, will mess you up even further with strange advice......

The SS were the ones who wrongly entered it you 're saying? Then they should fix it. Don't see how DHS/USCIS can fix it. It just should match up to all your current docs and certificates that you take into the SS office.

No, she's saying that the SSA did not mis-enter her name, but DHS/USCIS did when they entered her alien number in the system. The SSA gets your info from DHS/USCIS, so if DHS screwed up, the SSA can't fix it.

I wish I had some advice for you LotL. Unfortunately, I don't have any.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 5:23 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing to do with USCIS at all
could try a phone call to DSS 1-800-772-1213
Old Mar 11th 2008, 5:24 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
No, she's saying that the SSA did not mis-enter her name, but DHS/USCIS did when they entered her alien number in the system. The SSA gets your info from DHS/USCIS, so if DHS screwed up, the SSA can't fix it.

AH!!! Is the grren card correct
Old Mar 11th 2008, 5:46 pm
my arm aches

That's right sunflwrgrl, the SSA can't fix what the DHS screwed up, so wondering where to go to get it fixed.
Originally Posted by Ray
AH!!! Is the grren card correct
Well, the info on the card is correct, but it doesn't show maiden name, which is what's been entered wrong.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 5:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

...and to get the notation taken off mine. .

This is what made me think there WAS a correct name for the SS number in the first place and the SS only screwed it up when they went to do the children's numbers.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 5:49 pm
Ray

That's right sunflwrgrl, the SSA can't fix what the DHS screwed up, so wondering where to go to get it fixed.

Well, the info on the card is correct, but it doesn't show maiden name, which is what's been entered wrong.
So basically if they change the existing name on your SS Card to show you married name is all good .. or am I cofused
Old Mar 11th 2008, 6:04 pm
my arm aches

Originally Posted by farmerwife

This is what made me think there WAS a correct name for the SS number in the first place and the SS only screwed it up when they went to do the children's numbers.
Hmm, you may have a point there. I was told it was info coming from the DHS, not SSA, and the woman did seem to be a bit more savvy than the norm. But it's odd that a discrepancy wasn't noticed when mine was first done.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 6:09 pm
my arm aches

Originally Posted by Ray
So basically if they change the existing name on your SS Card to show you married name is all good .. or am I cofused
NO! Your easily confused. My name on the SS card and green card is correct. In the system, they have my name before I got married wrong.

So when the kids applications were cross checked with my ssn, maiden name F******, it didn't recognise the number because the system thinks my maiden name is S****.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 8:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Lady, why don't you send a PM to MDyoung. He's the resident SSA expert. Or he may come along and offer an answer if/when he see's the thread title.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 10:27 pm
Ray

Hey Lady, why don't you send a PM to MDyoung. He's the resident SSA expert. Or he may come along and offer an answer if/when he see's the thread title.
He deleted his account here....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.