Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Volunteering on a H4 visa

Volunteering on a H4 visa

Old Dec 4th 2009, 1:39 am
Forum Regular

sarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nice
Default Volunteering on a H4 visa

So Ive been in San Francisco for just over two weeks, and the boredom is starting to kick in!!
Hubbie leaves the house at 8 in the morning and gets back between 7 and 8 in the evening.
This leaves me home alone with the two dogs, which was good at first as i was out walking for a good few hours each day, but one of the dogs has hurt her leg, so only short walks for now
Anyway.. back to the point, im thinking of doing some volunteering work, but just wanted to know what the restrictions are with the H4 visa, and if there is anything Im not allowed to do (i know i cant accept money/food/gifts etc)
Has anyone else done any volunteering on a H4 visa?
Im looking to help out with either a local animal shelter or a homeless shelter, both are nearby to me
Thanks x
Old Dec 4th 2009, 2:02 am
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Volunteering on a H4 visa

Originally Posted by sarahlou145
So Ive been in San Francisco for just over two weeks, and the boredom is starting to kick in!!
Hubbie leaves the house at 8 in the morning and gets back between 7 and 8 in the evening.
This leaves me home alone with the two dogs, which was good at first as i was out walking for a good few hours each day, but one of the dogs has hurt her leg, so only short walks for now
Anyway.. back to the point, im thinking of doing some volunteering work, but just wanted to know what the restrictions are with the H4 visa, and if there is anything Im not allowed to do (i know i cant accept money/food/gifts etc)
Im looking to help out with either a local animal shelter or a homeless shelter, both are nearby to me
Thanks x
If you search the forums you will find that lots of people report doing voluntary work while here on an H4.

One recent example...
Old Dec 4th 2009, 11:41 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sarahlou145
Thanks x
I think the key here is that you do not do any volunteering in a postion that is otherwise paid.

I used to be on a H4 and volunteered at a local non-profit. They had a great volunteer programme with over 300 volunteers. I had a great time, made lots of friends and learnt a great deal of new skills.
Old Dec 4th 2009, 12:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

I've done volunteering on an H4....I got in touch with my local Children's Hospital that has a huge volunteer program through

www.volunteermatch.org

Good Luck with your search
Old Dec 4th 2009, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

sarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nice

Thanks
Ive found a few opportunities in my area and have sent out some emails