Reload this Page >

Volunteer work

Volunteer work

Old Oct 12th 2012, 12:45 pm
Just Joined

kirstyvw is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Volunteer work

Hi
With the length of time my OH's EAD is taking to come through, for his own sanity, he needs to get out of the house and start interacting with people apart from me! He'd like to volunteer at an animal welfare charity thrift shop - does anyone know if this is allowed? He's on an L2.
thanks
Old Oct 12th 2012, 1:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Volunteer work

Is he doing the same job as any paid workers?
Old Oct 12th 2012, 1:23 pm
Forum Regular

Katsu is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi kirstyvw

I'm on an L2 as well and we arrived in July. I checked with the immigration lawyers who facilitated our visa application and they said it was fine for me to do voluntary work a long as I accepted no payment or payment in kind for it. They also said I should avoid volunteering in a role in my line of work (even same industry/sector but very different role) in case I ended up taking paid employment with the organisation I was volunteering with (when I had my EAD) as it could look like a contrived arrangement. I can't place my hands on the exact email but they had a specific term they used for this.

My EAD arrived after just over 6 weeks though (California processing centre) even though the timescales they quoted were 3 months so, depending where you are, your OH may not need to wait too long to start job hunting. Good luck!
Old Oct 12th 2012, 1:34 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by NatashaB
Is he doing the same job as any paid workers?
No all the people in the shop are unpaid volunteers
Old Oct 12th 2012, 1:36 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Katsu
Hi kirstyvw

I'm on an L2 as well and we arrived in July. I checked with the immigration lawyers who facilitated our visa application and they said it was fine for me to do voluntary work a long as I accepted no payment or payment in kind for it. They also said I should avoid volunteering in a role in my line of work (even same industry/sector but very different role) in case I ended up taking paid employment with the organisation I was volunteering with (when I had my EAD) as it could look like a contrived arrangement. I can't place my hands on the exact email but they had a specific term they used for this.

My EAD arrived after just over 6 weeks though (California processing centre) even though the timescales they quoted were 3 months so, depending where you are, your OH may not need to wait too long to start job hunting. Good luck!
Thanks Katsu - very helpful. No it wouldn't be in his line of work. His EAD has now taken 4 months and counting! Have expedited it twice and really hoping that he'll now get it in the next few weeks.
Old Oct 12th 2012, 2:01 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

This is the guidance for visitors who wish to volunteer. It says selling articles and soliciting/accepting donations is prohibited.

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/87206.pdf

b. A “voluntary service program” is an organized project conducted by a recognized religious or nonprofit charitable organization to assist the poor or the needy or to further a religious or charitable cause. The program may not, however, involve the selling of articles and/or the solicitation and acceptance of donations. The burden that the voluntary program meets the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) definition of “voluntary service program” is placed upon the recognized religious or nonprofit charitable organization, which must also meet other criteria set out in the DHS Operating Instructions with regard to voluntary workers.
Old Oct 12th 2012, 2:46 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kirstyvw
With the length of time my OH's EAD is taking to come through... ... He's on an L2.
One word: InfoPass!

Ian