Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Voluntary NI payments for pension? (National insurance)

Voluntary NI payments for pension? (National insurance)

Old Feb 16th 2023, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

Pinkcat1771 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Voluntary NI payments for pension? (National insurance)

Hi, I know everyone’s case is different and personal to them but before leaving the U.K did you top up your NI for the state pension? Only I see once living abroad you can only do it if you were working immediately before leaving which I’m not.
thanks, Catherine
Old Feb 16th 2023, 3:08 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Voluntary NI payments for pension? (National insurance)

You cannot AFAIK "top up" payments while still in the UK, nor after you return.

The rules for making voluntary NI contributions, and being allowed to make them, are intricate and arcane. Therefore I would strongly recommend contacting the DWP International Desk and asking to make contributions, and then filling out an application form, as you may be surprised at what you are allowed. .... I.e. the "rule" that you have to have been working "immediately before you left", doesn't appear to mean what it means at face value, and you may find that at least you're allowed to make Class 3 contributions, which are still good value, just not as good as Class 2.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 16th 2023 at 3:32 pm.
Old Feb 16th 2023, 3:29 pm
Furby

Glasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, you can make voluntary contributions so long as you meet the other requirements, but will have to pay Class 3 rates rather then Class 2 which is still a good investment.
Old Feb 16th 2023, 3:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

The UK gov departments are under a lot of pressure the phone lines are unanswered despite many hours of trying.. apparently it is taking 8 weeks to get a response to completed enquiries. Trying to get an answer as to eligibility for class 2 or 3 is in itself a huge issue as the response is plain and not managed. i have been pushed from pillar to post and advised to contact different departments when the simple question was and is. Am I eligible for class2 as immediacy is in evidence and I have been an expat since May 2000?....no department provides an answer just a new contact point . a very recent press article, issued this week decried the appalling state of how this is being managed with some waiting almost 10 months and counting for responses. there has been a request to extend this deadline due to the inability of the Gov departments to manage.

Last edited by mikemike; Feb 16th 2023 at 3:40 pm.
Old Feb 16th 2023, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

EdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski

The rules for making voluntary NI contributions, and being allowed to make them, are intricate and arcane. Therefore I would strongly recommend contacting the DWP International Desk and asking to make contributions, and then filling out an application form, as you may be surprised at what you are allowed. .... I.e. the "rule" that you have to have been working "immediately before you left", doesn't appear to mean what it means at face value, and you may find that at least you're allowed to make Class 3 contributions, which are still good value, just not as good as Class 2.
I was in this boat to some extent as I came over on a CR1 marriage visa. I ended my work in UK on November 1 2018 and moved to the US November 4 2018. I didn't start a new job in the US until January 14 2019 so only just over 2 months but still not what I would class as immediately after, and I was able to start paying Class 2 contributions when I applied. I would have done Class 3 contributions had I not been allowed to do Class 2 though.
Old Feb 16th 2023, 4:16 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikemike
The UK gov departments are under a lot of pressure the phone lines are unanswered despite many hours of trying.. apparently it is taking 8 weeks to get a response to completed enquiries. Trying to get an answer as to eligibility for class 2 or 3 is in itself a huge issue as the response is plain and not managed. i have been pushed from pillar to post and advised to contact different departments when the simple question was and is. Am I eligible for class2 as immediacy is in evidence and I have been an expat since May 2000?....no department provides an answer just a new contact point . a very recent press article, issued this week decried the appalling state of how this is being managed with some waiting almost 10 months and counting for responses. there has been a request to extend this deadline due to the inability of the Gov departments to manage.
AFAIK it was never possible to get a definitive answer (one that you can rely on) over the phone, regarding eligibility for Class 2 contributions, and that completing an application form has always been necessary. At least now the form is available on-line, so I hear.
Old Feb 16th 2023, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

Very interesting! Thanks so much, Catherine
Old Feb 16th 2023, 5:21 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you, that’s really useful to know, Catherine
Old Feb 16th 2023, 5:23 pm
Forum Regular

Yes I saw that, in fact that’s what prompted us to investigate. Hope you soon get it sorted. Thanks for your answer.
Old Feb 16th 2023, 5:23 pm
Forum Regular

Perfect, thanks x
Old Feb 16th 2023, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by Pinkcat1771
Perfect, thanks ....
At the bottom of every post on BE, center-right, is a button marked < " Quote >, and if you click on that your post will show the person and post you are replying to. If you only want to part of the post you can delete the part(s) you're not addressing.
Old Feb 17th 2023, 11:43 am
BE Enthusiast

tdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond repute

You don't need to be overseas to top up. Here's a guide to the process:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/sa...contributions/

I did see a recent article saying the department is overloaded with applications and struggling (failing) to cope. If you can't get through by phone, or can't get a sensible answer, consider submitting an application so it's in the system even if the processing time is slow. Might be worth sending it recorded delivery, lest they lose it.I recall calling a helpline years ago and getting bounced from place to place. It felt as if a single job had been sliced up and each person could advise on a slice but not on related issues, and no-one had knowledge of the whole subject. I've read posts saying that the expat NI helpline is very good, however, so perhaps it's hit and miss on who you get to speak to.
Old Feb 17th 2023, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

At the bottom of every post on BE, center-right, is a button marked < " Quote >, and if you click on that your post will show the person and post you are replying to. If you only want to part of the post you can delete the part(s) you're not addressing.
😬 ok that’s great thanks 🙏
Old Feb 17th 2023, 1:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tdrinker
You don't need to be overseas to top up. Here's a guide to the process:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/sa...contributions/

I did see a recent article saying the department is overloaded with applications and struggling (failing) to cope. If you can't get through by phone, or can't get a sensible answer, consider submitting an application so it's in the system even if the processing time is slow. Might be worth sending it recorded delivery, lest they lose it.I recall calling a helpline years ago and getting bounced from place to place. It felt as if a single job had been sliced up and each person could advise on a slice but not on related issues, and no-one had knowledge of the whole subject. I've read posts saying that the expat NI helpline is very good, however, so perhaps it's hit and miss on who you get to speak to.
Thank you so much, the Martin Lewis link is so useful and actually answers all our questions. Have a great weekend!
Old Mar 8th 2023, 4:25 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

The deadline of April 2023 has just been extended to the end of July 2023. Get on it, myself included!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.