Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

VoIP calling service

VoIP calling service

Old Dec 12th 2006, 1:25 pm
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute
Default VoIP calling service

I cannot make international calls from work or on my business cellphone.

One of my customers gave me a subscription to Net2Phone (www.net2phone.com) and deposited $30 in the account for me.

I call a local number and then dial the UK number. The calls are crystal clear, better than the landline from home. The charges are only 5 cents a minute to the UK. The other day I sent a fax to my UK Pension Fund from my office fax using the Net2phone number and that went through fine.

It's an excellent service.
Old Dec 12th 2006, 4:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

angelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: VoIP calling service

this service is very cool too. allows cheap voip international calls from your cellphone or any phone for that matter..
www.rebtel.com

Originally Posted by TRPardoe
I cannot make international calls from work or on my business cellphone.

One of my customers gave me a subscription to Net2Phone (www.net2phone.com) and deposited $30 in the account for me.

I call a local number and then dial the UK number. The calls are crystal clear, better than the landline from home. The charges are only 5 cents a minute to the UK. The other day I sent a fax to my UK Pension Fund from my office fax using the Net2phone number and that went through fine.

It's an excellent service.
Old Dec 12th 2006, 6:09 pm
Forum Regular

KarenT is an unknown quantity at this point

We lived in Texas for 2 years, best service we found was Pennytalk. 2 cents a minute to the UK landline. Just checked and the rate is still the same. Its reliable too. You can use it from any phone. If you register the phone line you don't need account number or pin. There is a set up cost for each call of 49 cents but if you are on the phone for 15-20 mins this is still cheaper than the 5 cents a minute deals. Depends on your needs.

http://www.pennytalk.com/

Also, skype is great and a call from US to UK landline should be 2.4 cents per minute. Free to another skype address. I chat to my Mum for hours for free via the internet. Skypout also gives you free calls to any phone in US or Canada

http://www.skype.com

Last edited by KarenT; Dec 12th 2006 at 6:49 pm.
Old Dec 12th 2006, 6:27 pm
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute

Lingo VOIP - $20 a month all local, national and calls to many W European ciountries incl the UK included. No ups or extras.
Old Dec 12th 2006, 6:56 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kate2112
Lingo VOIP - $20 a month all local, national and calls to many W European ciountries incl the UK included. No ups or extras.
what we use and it's great but I'm still waiting for calls to mobiles deal.
Old Dec 12th 2006, 7:30 pm
Just a rock in the rain

nai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to behold

We were using Vonage and had 0 problems with it, was really impressed with the call quality. $14.99 gave 500 free local/long distance minutes (more than we needed) and calls to the UK were cheap 3 cents a minute (I think) and free if you are on the $24.99 a month plan.

If we could get the internet (one of the problems of having a view of the Blue Ridge Mountains on your doorstep is the lack of internet service!) at our new house we would still have Vonage.
Old Dec 12th 2006, 8:51 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

The problem with lingo, if you want to cancel the service, there a bit of a mare, and also when you request it, they cut you off straight after the call.
Old Dec 12th 2006, 9:40 pm
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
The problem with lingo, if you want to cancel the service, there a bit of a mare, and also when you request it, they cut you off straight after the call.

Thanks Bob I'll bear that in mind if I ever decide to give it up. Thank goodness for cell phones
If you do move its worth bearing in mind that you can keep your original number and set up a new number in your new area (if the area code has changed) They charge $5 per month extra until you decide to relinquish your original number.
Old Dec 12th 2006, 9:49 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Bob I'll bear that in mind if I ever decide to give it up. Thank goodness for cell phones
If you do move its worth bearing in mind that you can keep your original number and set up a new number in your new area (if the area code has changed) They charge $5 per month extra until you decide to relinquish your original number.
aye, there's always that, which is good...but it's been an issue for a few people who move to areas that don't have good broadband, and someone here that moved back to blighty...kept on hold for hours and then being cut straight off.

Other than that, it's got great reviews and loads of people on here use it