Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Visiting US with duel citizenship and a non US parent?

Visiting US with duel citizenship and a non US parent?

Old Jun 10th 2013, 2:37 am
Forum Regular

Sabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Visiting US with duel citizenship and a non US parent?

My husband and I are planning a visit next summer as he is living in the US and I in the UK currently. We plan on doing a visa hopefully in the near future but he's looking for work and taking his GED next month. If my daughter and I went over for a visit, what would be involved at customs? I know I have to take proof that I will be returning to the UK, and I'll have letters from the kennel boarder (as will be boarding our dogs), my rental agreement, bank details and a letter from the person I care for saying that I must return etc. I'm looking at a silm possibility of visiting for 6 weeks. But it's only a possibility that we might go as am also saving to move permanently after I acquire a spousal visa. I've been married 7 years in october and we have spent the last year apart.
Any advice on this would be great as I don't want to get turned away at the border. Any issues with my daughter who is a duel citizen entering with her US passport and me entering on my UK one?
Old Jun 10th 2013, 11:48 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visiting US with duel citizenship and a non US parent?

Are you eligible for the visa waiver program? If so you should not apply for a B1/B2 visa for a visit as it will likely be rejected.

I suggest you avoid volunteering that you are visiting your husband when talking to the CBP (immigration officer) if possible (WITHOUT LYING), because that may lead to more awkward questions. Therefore I recommend you enter the US through a major international airport (JFK, IAD, Newark etc.) even if you then need to fly on somewhere else because my experience is that smaller international airports have more inquisitive CBP officers.

BTW "Customs" is only interested in whatever objects/ materials you are carrying, your concerns relate to "immigration".

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 10th 2013 at 12:12 pm.
Old Jun 10th 2013, 11:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visiting US with duel citizenship and a non US parent?

You'll need to apply for ESTA if travelling under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP).

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

If you are not approved, you'll need to have a nonimmigrant visa (e.g. B1/B2).

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...ication-denied