Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Visiting San Fran, do i/should i carry ID with me everywhere

Visiting San Fran, do i/should i carry ID with me everywhere

Old Oct 21st 2009, 12:10 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visiting San Fran, do i/should i carry ID with me everywhere

You should carry something, not because it is a legal requirement but because it's a good policy should something bad happen. Hit by a car, mugged, sent to a hospital, arrested, etc. There are plenty of examples of times when your identity needs to be known or proven in circumstances when you might not be able to convey that information. I wouldn't carry a passport necessarily but a xerox copy of the main page is not a bad idea.

The only legal thing I can mention is that in many places in the states buying alcohol is based on how old you can LEGALLY PROVE yourself to be, not on how old you look or 'are'. I've seen 50 year old geezers in some places be stamped 'no alcohol' because they didn't have legal proof of their age. Like many things about the US, it's a state-by-state thing, but sometimes you'll come across a bar that has been raided for underage drinking as enacts, on their own, a policy of no proof no alcohol just to make sure they don't get caught again. Generally this will require a government issued photo id to qualify.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 2:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud of

Like others have said it all really depends on if you want to easily get served with alcohol.

When I first visited the USA it was a pain having to argue the toss each time I went to a liquor store. I was around 30 but each time it was a drama trying to get served without ID. I was getting served but ended up carrying my passport around with me to avoid the hassle.

Some bars/clubs simply say 'no ID - no entry'. Doesn't matter how old you are.

When I got back to the UK I got myself sorted with a photo driving license - made life a lot easier for the next time I went back to the USA.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 1:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugo
Thanks everyone for your replies,

Rete your posts come across as being catty and rude, bad day, someone pee on your cornflakes? Or just time of the month??

FYI im 29, can afford a car but live in a city with poor parking and prefer public transport, and the road rage comment was just weird. I only have my UK passport for ID and my work ID, I live in Australia.
I can understand you not having a car, but - do I understand that you don't have a drivers license? I would recommend you get one even if you don't plan to drive; you may find 'how long you've had the license' to be a factor in getting insurance when you do finally decide to drive. Or you may find yourself somewhere where you need to rent a car ... Kinda like a passport really; I have friends who don't have one because they don't plan to go overseas ...
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 1:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I can understand you not having a car, but - do I understand that you don't have a drivers license? .
That's cos your not a city-living Aussie

But I agree, it is worth getting one.

I recall that it was quite expensive to obtain my Aussie (Victorian) drivers license, nothing like the cheapo California one I'm in the middle of obtaining.