Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Visiting NHS doc.... what paperwork should I ask for?

Visiting NHS doc.... what paperwork should I ask for?

Old Jul 19th 2012, 11:16 pm
Forum Regular

guitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Visiting NHS doc.... what paperwork should I ask for?

I've read a few times that US health insurance companies require proof of prior cover, and when coming from the UK that means paperwork from the NHS. So I've booked an appointment to see our GP on Monday. Any tips on exactly what I should ask for?

Should I get a basic letter stating my wife and I have been covered by the NHS, or does it need specific wording?

Should I also obtain our medical records to take to the USA?

thanks
Old Jul 20th 2012, 1:36 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visiting NHS doc.... what paperwork should I ask for?

All depends on the insurance company on what they want to see.

Usually, it's letter headed from the doctor or the local health authority, stating you are a UK resident from x-y, thus entitled to NHS care.

As for medical records, yeah, worth bringing, though ask for a highlight rather than the whole record as they might charge anything up to 50 squid for it.
Old Jul 20th 2012, 1:41 am
Just Joined

sawdustanddiamonds will become famous soon enoughsawdustanddiamonds will become famous soon enough

It may be worth contacting the NHS directly and obtaining a document with your individual NHS number included. Get as much documentation as you can including a list of up to date vaccinations, any regular prescriptions/medical history they should know about etc.
Old Jul 20th 2012, 5:20 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by guitarmaan
I've read a few times that US health insurance companies require proof of prior cover, and when coming from the UK that means paperwork from the NHS. So I've booked an appointment to see our GP on Monday. Any tips on exactly what I should ask for?

Should I get a basic letter stating my wife and I have been covered by the NHS, or does it need specific wording?

Should I also obtain our medical records to take to the USA?

thanks
Never happened with me. The only people to see any UK medical info of me, were the immigration people and official medical exam doctors.
Old Jul 20th 2012, 11:19 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH
Never happened with me. The only people to see any UK medical info of me, were the immigration people and official medical exam doctors.
Or with me. i was never asked for anything, ever. Times change I guess?
Old Jul 20th 2012, 11:54 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Some insurance companies basically assume if you are from the UK you were previously covered by the NHS and don't ask for a letter, but others do. It's really a bit hard to predict so probably best to get some form of letter saying you were covered by NHS while living in the UK.

As for the medical records, if you can get them without too much trouble, probably worth the time. Even if you don't have a major ailment, the test results and history will go into a 'baseline' for you that may be useful later in your life when tests and whatnot start to indicate 'spikes' in certain levels. For example, if you have a history of a 'high' level of something as a younger "healthy" person than later in life when it is similarly "high" they'll have a better idea of your personal history such that they might not be as concerned by little variations.
Old Jul 20th 2012, 12:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

captainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond repute

For your medical records you should just be able to email or write to your NHS practice requesting them. I did this, and it cost £10 at my practice - this might vary depending upon where you are.
Old Jul 20th 2012, 1:21 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
Or with me. i was never asked for anything, ever. Times change I guess?
If you're joining a spouses cover or getting a job off the boat with coverage, you generally won't be asked.

If you're getting private coverage, the company might ask for it, some might assume that you living in the UK would have NHS coverage, but it would still be a good idea to get the proof so that you do cross the i's and t's, so that they don't have a administrative get out to deny you coverage if you need it, because you didn't provide proof when you signed up.
Old Jul 20th 2012, 2:15 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
If you're joining a spouses cover or getting a job off the boat with coverage, you generally won't be asked.

If you're getting private coverage, the company might ask for it, some might assume that you living in the UK would have NHS coverage, but it would still be a good idea to get the proof so that you do cross the i's and t's, so that they don't have a administrative get out to deny you coverage if you need it, because you didn't provide proof when you signed up.
That would explain it. When I first moved over I was unable to work and was on my wifes insurance.

I'm 99% sure the subject never came up with immigration either, suprisingly. The only thing I DO remember from that was "failing" the TB test, until the Dr said that kids in the UK were sometimes (always?) immunised against it and it could skew the test results.

Either way, more info on hand is always better. Never know what might be useful.
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

guitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the advice guys. We visited our doctor today to request a letter and also highlights of our medical records. Apparently the records are straight forward, but the doctor will have to check whether she can write the letter or not. The reason she gave was any UK resident is automatically covered by the NHS, so why write the letter

I can see her logic of course, except that obviously other countries are not obligated to understand the UK system. Some may not even know what the NHS is! Therefore it's prudent to get written proof should it be required.

Anyway I hope she can write the letter for us. I gave her a draft to make it all easier. In the draft I noted our dates of UK residence etc and that we were fully covered. Fingers crossed
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 9:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by guitarmaan
Thanks for all the advice guys. We visited our doctor today to request a letter and also highlights of our medical records. Apparently the records are straight forward, but the doctor will have to check whether she can write the letter or not. The reason she gave was any UK resident is automatically covered by the NHS, so why write the letter

I can see her logic of course, except that obviously other countries are not obligated to understand the UK system. Some may not even know what the NHS is! Therefore it's prudent to get written proof should it be required.

Anyway I hope she can write the letter for us. I gave her a draft to make it all easier. In the draft I noted our dates of UK residence etc and that we were fully covered. Fingers crossed
I think it's been posted here before that US health insurance companies will accept NHS medical cards as evidence of NHS coverage. We are on my company's group plan so it wasn't an issue for us.
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 10:40 pm
Forum Regular

I've actually never seen an NHS medical card. I first heard about them on this forum. So I guess it's true only some areas use them. Shame really.