Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Visiting Canada but visa is in old passport. Possible?

Wikiposts

Visiting Canada but visa is in old passport. Possible?

Old May 18th 2014, 12:44 pm
Just Joined

Ditz33 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visiting Canada but visa is in old passport. Possible?

Hi,
we are thinking of visiting Canada next week, but our daughter's visa is printed into her old (UK) passport which recently got replaced with a new one. We still have the old passport but obviously its clipped on the front cover and is no longer valid. We leave the US for good this summer so didn't look into getting the visa put into the new one.
If we cross the border into Canada (we are driving if that's of relevance) will we be able to bring her back in?!?!

thanks!
Old May 18th 2014, 1:01 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Visiting Canada but visa is in old passport. Possible?

we have UK passports with US visas in them I thought if we left the country to go to Canada then they would check our US visas to get back into the US?
Is that the case?
thanks!
Old May 18th 2014, 1:05 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

From the U.S. Embassy website:
http://london.usembassy.gov/faq-visa-gen.html

My passport containing a valid visa has expired. I've obtained a new passport; do I need a new visa?

If the passport in which your visa has been endorsed has expired, the visa in the old passport still can be used, provided that you also carry a valid passport of the same nationality. Note: If, when canceling your old passport, the passport authority has clipped the corners of the passport, and, in so doing, has damaged the visa in any way, that visa is no longer valid and cannot be used for travel to the United States.
Old May 18th 2014, 1:06 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JAJ

My passport containing a valid visa has expired. I've obtained a new passport; do I need a new visa?

If the passport in which your visa has been endorsed has expired, the visa in the old passport still can be used, provided that you also carry a valid passport of the same nationality. Note: If, when canceling your old passport, the passport authority has clipped the corners of the passport, and, in so doing, has damaged the visa in any way, that visa is no longer valid and cannot be used for travel to the United States.
thanks for this!. but sh*t... that scuppers our plans...............
Old May 18th 2014, 1:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ditz33
oh..wait.... i read that wrong. the passport is clipped but the visa intact.. phew!
thanks!
Old May 18th 2014, 1:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Did they damage something on the visa or just clip the edges? I suspect as long as all the information is on the visa, it should be ok.
Old May 18th 2014, 1:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

oh..wait.... i read that wrong. the passport is clipped but the visa intact.. phew!
thanks!
OK, I thought they may have clipped the visa.
Old May 18th 2014, 1:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Michael
no the visa is all fine.
thanks!
Old May 19th 2014, 2:58 am
BE Enthusiast

jackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Michael
From experience, they often 'clip' just the front page to make it obvious that the passport isn't useable but don't touch any of the interior pages to avoid invalidating anything inside.
Old May 19th 2014, 4:49 am
NM, not new, not Mexico!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackattack
From experience, they often 'clip' just the front page to make it obvious that the passport isn't useable but don't touch any of the interior pages to avoid invalidating anything inside.
Having gone through ALL our expired passports recently, the usual indication of cancellation is to clip the corner of the covers AND the machine readable photo page, but to leave the other pages intact.
Old May 26th 2014, 12:11 am
Forum Regular

pipsi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ

This.

I'll be shortly getting an F1 visa in my current passport but it will expire before the end of my course so I will have to travel with two passports once that happens. I'm led to believe that this is relatively common, and not a problem as long as the visa hasn't been damaged in any way during the 'clipping' of the expired passport.